Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jtstoner View Post
    I would suggest laying on an at an angle with the footend higher than the head end. Good luck! It can be addicting!
    Thank you-- I am going out this weekend and will try this. I'm only 5'3" so I have to stand on things to get the suspension high enough sometimes, but there is usually something around I can drag over to a tree to make it work.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Since you are on a budget you can also look at making your own hammock for much less money. For the simplest google "table cloth hammock". They use a a prehemmed polyester taffeta table cloth, and you can get a longer length then an end.

If you have some very basic sewing skills check out ripstopbytheroll or Dutch's makeyourowngear for great lightweight fabrics. Ripstopbytheroll often has remnants and seconds for pretty darn cheap. It's much cheaper then buying a premade hammock.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    LaraCrofty (!), You didn't mention any ridge line. If you have your amount of sag dialed in, then you can measure the distance between gathered end points the get that length and tie some cord between the two ends. If you use something really strong, like Amsteel (called LashIt in smaller but "strong enough" sizes), you don't have to have your tree distance exact. But even a light cord will help in that you just adjust your hang until the cord is just about taut - the same as when you measured/attached it for your perfect hang. If you use the stronger cord, you don't have to have the exact distance suspension height as the cord will keep the best sag - assuming the trees are further than optimal.

A little bird told me that we may have an version 2.0 of the hammock calculator - you know about the calculator, right? - that allows you to lock some measures. Like you, I am height challenged and can only reach so far up the tree - so I can't have them too far apart. But the structural ridge line (the strong stuff) does allow me more latitude.

You want to get your "flat lay" from a diagonal position on the hammock, not from a tighter suspension. The reason many elevate the feet a little (counter intuitive to ground sleeping) is with a perfectly level pitch, there's a tendency to start sliding towards the middle. Elevating the feet 6 or more inches reduces that tendency.

Remember, you are not trying to exactly duplicate a bed. Sometimes people think they need the hammock to model the bed; if they are side sleepers in a bed they need to be side sleepers in a hammock, etc. Understand the the pressure points - overall cradling - is different in a hammock. When I've been away from a hammock, it takes a while for my muscles to remember they can relax more. I hope you get this worked out so when you wake up, you will think you are on cloud.
    Hey there, thank you for all this info! I have an adjustable ridgeline set up but I think I had it too short last time. I used to be a field archaeologist so you'd think I'd be happy to measure everything but for some reason I can't handle imperial measurements very well anymore :P

A couple of people have suggested the lifted foot end, so I will definitely try that this weekend. A friend and I are going to Congaree National Park in SC. Hopefully we won't freeze, it is supposed to be low of 35F. I have an underquilt but potential for user error is still moderate-to-high

I am also definitely a side sleeper, and so far I have not been super comfortable in hammocks overnight, particularly in the neck/upper back, which is more curved. At least it means you don't have to carry a pillow. So, work in progress.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'm sure we all wish you could get this dialed in before the "real thing" and those outdoor adventures drive every good thing - and every mistake - deeper into memory. If you are just getting out of a car at a cap site, you could get one of those plastic "Milk Carriers" at an office supply store. you can use it for organization in the car and you can empty it, turn it over, and stand on it, to reach higher up a tree if necessary.

Or you could use your friends shoulders.

It may turn out that a Bridge Hammock (one that has spreader bars, like the Ridge Runner) is best for you. But don't give up on a GE (gathered end) because I've found them more versatile and a lighter to carry (but not by much) setup.

There are two schools on the under quilt adjustment. Some say, cinch it tight at the ends. Others say that looks good when you aren't in it, but when you turn diagonal, it opens a gap. And have the ends wider will allow it to hug the hammock ends when you move to the diagonal. Your friend can check with you in the hammock - adjust for not gaps; whatever that takes.

At some point you may invest in a UQP (under quilt protector) for about $30. That's another layer of nylon that hangs under your under quilt. It keeps rain splash off the bottom and more importantly, adds another barrier to convection heat loss. I find when using UQP, the under quilt adjustment isn't as critical.

If you have a small camp pillow, you can put it under a knee or knees. Sometimes it takes just one little adjustment to bring forth that Awwwwww feeling.

Please let us know how it turned out.

Hammock
    Serac sequoia
    Tarp
    Himal 4 meter
    Insulation
    Sleeping pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    If you have any questions when starting out, Shug's videos are a really good place to start. He has a lot of videos on hammock set up and if you are a visual learner, like me, it can help to see someone else do it first before trying to do it yourself.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    ENO Superfly
    Insulation
    ENO Ember 2, Wooki
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Shug has it nailed. Give that a try and see how it feels.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jtstoner View Post
    Shug has it nailed. Give that a try and see how it feels.
    I went out this Saturday night -finally had some company, friends who are intrigued by the hammock idea. I did do the feet side a bit higher, but I'm not sure I had the hang angle or ridgeline quite right. It was definitely a step forward from past trips though, and I was pretty comfy through the night. HG underquilt and my sleeping bag on top kept me nice and cozy at 58°F while my friends were a little chilly in their tents.

I just ordered a thing called a hangle from Dutchware, which I think will help me significantly. It's a line level that measures 30°!

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    241.8cm give or take.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
    241.8cm give or take.
    I have one on the way from Dream Hammock that is the right length. Unfortunately my bug sock is in queue with all the other hammocks and they seem to have a month or more production time right now, but whenever that arrives I think I'll be all set

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    If I may, palmetto State hangers are going to have a hang soon relatively near you, Huntington Beach SP in SC? Going to something like that will save you a lot of time and $$$ by getting to see other set ups and ask questions and i don't know a hanger alive that wouldn't let you check their rig out. I started in a ENO so I'm not knocking it, it gives you a start but I can assure you that you will evolve. At this point I have 7 or 8 hammocks, but if I had to get rid of all but one I would keep my Ridge Runner. Everyone has personal preferences so there is no "right" hammock for all. Keep hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast