Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you want a flatter lay than a gather end with no hassles check out the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. These hammock are easy to setup, the under quilts made for them are as easy to connect as any an they offer an easy close to flat lay. They tend to be heavier than gather end hammocks but the comfort more than makes up for the added weight in my opinion.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Bridge hammocks may be the way to go.

Also, a longer hammock than the ENO will also go a long way in better comfort, even for your height. Also, you can use your hiking poles to push the straps higher on the trees than you can reach for those farther stretches.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    For absolute flat lay there are bridge hammocks--I never tried a bridge as I'm happy with gathered end. There are also hammocks turned 90 degrees--their names escape me--they are mainly flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have seen those. Unfortunately I'm on a budget so I'm not sure that's in the cards for me. I probably just need to do more math or something :/

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Bridge hammocks may be the way to go.

Also, a longer hammock than the ENO will also go a long way in better comfort, even for your height. Also, you can use your hiking poles to push the straps higher on the trees than you can reach for those farther stretches.
    I don't carry hiking poles currently so they're not a tool I have readily available. I am not above finding a stump or log to stand on though. That's what I did for the setup pictured above and it was so great to have the hammock a little higher and some actual space under the tarp. When I have further apart trees I end up pretty low Someday I'll get it perfect but for now it seems to be a lot of trial and a moderate amound of error :P

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by laracrofty View Post
    I have seen those. Unfortunately I'm on a budget so I'm not sure that's in the cards for me. I probably just need to do more math or something :/
    I have been spending quite a few nights in my Luke's Hammocktent 90 degree hammock including last night. Night before last I was in my WBRR. I don't think even the WBRR is quite as comfortable as the 90 degree for side sleeping comfort and flat lay. The current models are not the best for folks over 6 foot, but since you are only 5'3" it may be just the solution for you. Many models are currently on sale for 50% off (except the gamma UL) at hammocktent's website.

Hammock
    Chameleon / HH with 2qzq mod 4
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly/ZqDoors
    Insulation
    LL Reaper / GP
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I suggest hiking poles for 4wheel mode when hiking
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. - Plato

Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    always changing...
    On my 11' gathered end hammock i got the best lay by raising the foot end a bit higher (as in raising the strap on the tree higher), positioning myself in the hammock a little closer to the head end, and shortening my hammock ridgeline just a little bit (half an inch or so) less than the recommended 83%. Big improvement. Then it's also just moving around in the hammock and trying different spots. There truly is a "sweet spot".

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I use some short hammocks when I'm chasing light weight... I don't own an eno but I have a few 9'-9'6" hammocks.
    I think you are on the right track with the shorter RL. I find closer to 75% (84") to work well with the hammock closer to a D than a crescent shape if that makes sense.
    This allows a bit more of a diagonal lay and lets my put my butt right on the line of tension so I don't get a calf ridge of any kind and the edges are softer.

However the key to this working is that I use fabrics that are on the low end of fabric weights so that they deflect quite a bit. At 5'3" you're likely petite as well?
    If I'm not mistaken the double nest is a fairly heavy fabric and odds are decent that you don't weigh enough to "push" the hammock into a better shape for you.

SO... besides the one extreme... you may find the other works for you. Try removing the ridgeline and pitching the hammock fairly taught (lower angle from strap to ground) to see if that makes it flatter for you. If you're low in weight that will let you put your straps lower on the tree and you won't really weigh enough to put a ton of extra force on the suspension. For some folks that setup can work.

And if all else fails- I do have some bridge hammocks for sale
    Right now I have some for $150 that are rated to 200lbs but ideal for folks under 180. Bridges do pitch flatter generally (straps are usually about 5'-6' high even up to 20' tree to tree).
    Bridges are by far my favorite but I can deal with a gathered end for a weekend or so when I want lighter weight.

Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    LaraCrofty (!), You didn't mention any ridge line. If you have your amount of sag dialed in, then you can measure the distance between gathered end points the get that length and tie some cord between the two ends. If you use something really strong, like Amsteel (called LashIt in smaller but "strong enough" sizes), you don't have to have your tree distance exact. But even a light cord will help in that you just adjust your hang until the cord is just about taut - the same as when you measured/attached it for your perfect hang. If you use the stronger cord, you don't have to have the exact distance suspension height as the cord will keep the best sag - assuming the trees are further than optimal.

A little bird told me that we may have an version 2.0 of the hammock calculator - you know about the calculator, right? - that allows you to lock some measures. Like you, I am height challenged and can only reach so far up the tree - so I can't have them too far apart. But the structural ridge line (the strong stuff) does allow me more latitude.

You want to get your "flat lay" from a diagonal position on the hammock, not from a tighter suspension. The reason many elevate the feet a little (counter intuitive to ground sleeping) is with a perfectly level pitch, there's a tendency to start sliding towards the middle. Elevating the feet 6 or more inches reduces that tendency.

Remember, you are not trying to exactly duplicate a bed. Sometimes people think they need the hammock to model the bed; if they are side sleepers in a bed they need to be side sleepers in a hammock, etc. Understand the the pressure points - overall cradling - is different in a hammock. When I've been away from a hammock, it takes a while for my muscles to remember they can relax more. I hope you get this worked out so when you wake up, you will think you are on cloud.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    ENO Superfly
    Insulation
    ENO Ember 2, Wooki
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I would suggest laying on an at an angle with the footend higher than the head end. Good luck! It can be addicting!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast