yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I would buy one right now in 1.0. I really am perplexed at all of the 1.7 and 1.9 double layers out there. Are people really that heavy and are there that many car campers?
    I think the answer is yes to both of those questions.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    We are not comfortable building hammocks using the currently available 1.0oz & 1.1oz fabrics because of durability concerns. We will continue to evaluate new fabrics as they come out to see if they will work well for our hammocks.

"buyer beware" "caveat emptor", "slap a disclaimer on it"..... If that's the kinda hammock you want, there are many other companies who specialize in "off the shelf" or "cookie cutter" products that are geared more to moving products quickly and less on individual customization and high quality.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Randy. My comments about the let the buyer beware we're in regards to a previous poster who thought you were only holding out on the lightweight fabrics because of lawsuit liability. A flawed line of reasoning in my opinion. I know you've stated you have concerns about 1.0 fabric durability. From what you've seen were the issues arising from people below the suggested weight range or from those who were maybe at or above the weight limit?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    We are not comfortable building hammocks using the currently available 1.0oz & 1.1oz fabrics because of durability concerns. We will continue to evaluate new fabrics as they come out to see if they will work well for our hammocks.

"buyer beware" "caveat emptor", "slap a disclaimer on it"..... If that's the kinda hammock you want, there are many other companies who specialize in "off the shelf" or "cookie cutter" products that are geared more to moving products quickly and less on individual customization and high quality.
    I like to think of it the way it's said here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...0-vs-1-6-Hexon

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Hi guys just wondering the pros and cons of a 210lb guy getting a 1.0 Hexon Netty vs a 1.6 Hexon Netty.

I would lean toward 1.6 because I am at the upper limits on the 1.0, but wanted to make sure that was the better call.
    The 1.0, as a lighter fabric, differs from the 1.6 in two ways. The first is stretch. The lighter fabric will provide less support (or more give, whichever way you want to look at it). Some people prefer stretchier fabrics, some prefer more support. There's no real rhyme nor reason to it, so you tend to heave to try it out for yourself to decide. The second difference, as you probably guessed, is weight support. We have the 1.0 rated to 225 pounds. The heavier the user, the more noticeable the stretch. Also, the closer a user is to the upper weight limit, the more the likelihood of catastrophic failure increases over time. A hammock certainly has a "lifespan", but there are far too many factors that contribute to that, we can't possibly guess what that amount of time might be. One of those factors, however, is the weight of the user versus the weight of the material.

So really, it comes down to user preference. If you're going to be using it for backpacking and want to shed as much weight as possible, even if it is at the expense of needing to replace the hammock somewhat sooner, the 1.0 might be the way to go, especially if you also prefer extra stretch. If you prefer to err on the side of caution (greater peace of mind), and don't mind the additional weight penalty, the 1.6 is the way to go.

As far as my personal use... I weigh in around 175 pounds, and I go with the 1.6 (Envy-S) for hangs and car camping trips. I have a 1.0 Netty that I use for backpacking.

Hope that helps!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    The other problem comes when fatso falls through the hammock after an extra bowl of chili or widget willie takes his machete to bed with him. The next thing you know they are grousing about it on HF cuz' it is all Randy's fault. Many vendors really go out of their way to keep customers happy and a happy customer posts good reviews, +1(s), or kudos. A grousing customer can affect business negatively even if their misuse was the cause.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Some people like heavier fabrics for the lay since they're supposedly flatter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    From what you've seen were the issues arising from people below the suggested weight range or from those who were maybe at or above the weight limit?
    You know it's been real frustrating trying to pinpoint the exact cause of the issues we've seen. We have very lightweight hammocks that have completed multiple long treks (AT, PCT, etc) without issues at all. We've also had users report problems like small tears or snags after only a night or two. We have noticed a difference in experience level, but that's also hard to determine without offending people.

The last straw for us on the 1.0oz Robic was having to quickly ship a replacement hammock over to Europe because a users girlfriend ended up with 3 small pin holes in a Darien after one night of use. We couldn't determine the exact cause of the damage nor if the girlfriend was doing anything wrong.

I'm certainly all for offering a lighter weight version of our hammock providing we can do so with complete confidence in the hammock. I'm aware of at least one upcoming fabric that I'm hopeful about.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    . I'm aware of at least one upcoming fabric that I'm hopeful about.
    New fabrics...cool. Will be looking forward to hearing about it. Thanks for explaining some of the issues that you've had reported with the 1.0's. You were very generous to rush a hammock out to Europe in that situation. That can be frustrating. A lot depends on the customer too. Some customers know when a failure was their fault vs a design flaw. One example I had was a Kevlar strap that slowly ripped over night until I woke up butt almost to the ground and saw I had only been hanging by an 1/4 inch of Kevlar that was left. The failure occurred at the friction point of my Dutch clip. After sending photos over to Dutch it became apparent I had been using the Dutch clip incorrectly and placing too much stress on the strap. Dutch offered to replace the strap for free anyway but I declined his offer because it was my fault. User error. There was no reason he should take a loss for my mistake. I'm sure there are many customers that would own up to their own mistakes in the same way and not expect the vendor to bail them out. Then again I'm certain there are those that think otherwise and expect free replacements for damage they caused themselves. I understand how that can be frustrating for a vendor at times to balance out great customer service with the reality of user destruction.

Carry on the good work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12