Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

ViDEO: Shug Shows the Warbonnet Wooki Underquilt

Hear, hear...the Wooki. Ol' Shug of the Third Person gives a tour of his 0º Wooki.
    Slept out in my 0º Wooki last night and it got down to 9º. I was ever-so warm in it. It was put on my XLC and I got in at 12º and never ever had any feel of a cold buttocks. Impressive.
    The loose sides are a non issue. Just part of the design that makes it funtional without shock sord or gaps.
    My shouders were warm as I laid and read for a short while. Feet were toasty.
    TQ was my 0º Black Mamba.
    I wore one pair wool socks, one layer of thin fleece pants, insulated shirt and light fleece top. Black Rock Beanie and balaclava on head.
    Would have been warm to 0º or even below without a doubt!
    Use my Superfly tarp over me.
    Whoooooooo Buddy))))))
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Great video, Shug. Timely and apropos for me, as I am spending my first night ever in my new (to me) lefty XLC. My DIY underquilt seems warm enough, but I sure do like the idea of a purpose-built set-it-and-forget-it Wooki! Thanks for your time and energy spent posting this detailed walk-through and performance report.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Great video, Shug. Timely and apropos for me, as I am spending my first night ever in my new (to me) lefty XLC. My DIY underquilt seems warm enough, but I sure do like the idea of a purpose-built set-it-and-forget-it Wooki! Thanks for your time and energy spent posting this detailed walk-through and performance report.
    Y'elcome.
    I was truly surprised at the warmth last night. Not even a moment of cold buttocks or back or feet. Whoooooo Wooki)))))
    Enjoy the XLC.

Great job with nice clear explanations for an interesting product. Keep Grace warm!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki XL
    I've had my Wooki 20 down to 16F with no issues so no doubt you could go below 0F in yours. I'm hoping to test mine down to 10F this weekend. You touched lightly on packing/pulking there at the end. Is that setup comparable in weight to others that you've taken out on trips? Any plans to have the whole Warbonnet kit out there? Thanks for the video; who has time to read in the hammock when there's Shug vids out there!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent via sub etha radio

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That little white feather out of the top of your hat, is that your "warpaint" :-)
    I keep learning and will never know enough.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texrider View Post
    Great job with nice clear explanations for an interesting product. Keep Grace warm!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Glad to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by FY01CPO View Post
    I've had my Wooki 20 down to 16F with no issues so no doubt you could go below 0F in yours. I'm hoping to test mine down to 10F this weekend. You touched lightly on packing/pulking there at the end. Is that setup comparable in weight to others that you've taken out on trips? Any plans to have the whole Warbonnet kit out there? Thanks for the video; who has time to read in the hammock when there's Shug vids out there!?!

Pretty similar in weight. I may bring it camping. Hope to go in a couple of weeks but I have many systems to choose from!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_1 View Post
    That little white feather out of the top of your hat, is that your "warpaint" :-)
    I like a tiny feather in me cap!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'll echo your review shug!

I have the 20 degree version and am loving it!

While you will not choose among your concubines - I'll gladly offer my partisan thought gratuitously:

For a full length UQ, this is now my favorite! Although I have not had a problem with the two other traditional UQ's I have used (one full length one 3/4) but had to work out and fiddle a bit more than the wooki.

I believe this design is far superior for simplicity and efficacy for new comers...we see many get flustered with other designs...

I will say this though.

I am the same height as you.

If you end up hanging your XLC kinda level vs with foot end "properly" more elevated, I found myself with feet off of quilt and getting chilled - I had shifted forward in the hammock in the night.

This is user error, however worth pointing out as the same night with the same setup as my hammock/wooki - my buddy did the same thing.

Mine is a bit looser than yours along the side and my attachment loop doesn't not line up but I found that the loose bits you mention have no appreciable effect on my warmth.

No cold spots here either

I slept in my 20 degree wooki 2 weekends ago down to 31 degrees - I wore basic synthetic base layer and a synthetic hoodie and a pair of wool socks and stayed toasty.

If Brandon is watching this thread I wonder if he will make on special order a dual lay wooki for folks that like to flip flop in the middle of the night?

Also - people often ask about venting...I use a loop of cord on one end that is just a taughtline hitch and that serves to vent as needed the wooki and to fit my other hammocks that need some extension to fit proper.

If you have someone to help you fitting the wooki to another hammock - use the loop - start loose - and have someone tight to the taughtline hitch till the rubber band and is stretching a bit...then you are done.

Shug. Your wife is hot and seems very compliant!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I'll echo your review shug!

I have the 20 degree version and am loving it!

While you will not choose among your concubines - I'll gladly offer my partisan thought gratuitously:

For a full length UQ, this is now my favorite! Although I have not had a problem with the two other traditional UQ's I have used (one full length one 3/4) but had to work out and fiddle a bit more than the wooki.

I believe this design is far superior for simplicity and efficacy for new comers...we see many get flustered with other designs...

I will say this though.

I am the same height as you.

If you end up hanging your XLC kinda level vs with foot end "properly" more elevated, I found myself with feet off of quilt and getting chilled - I had shifted forward in the hammock in the night.

This is user error, however worth pointing out as the same night with the same setup as my hammock/wooki - my buddy did the same thing.

Mine is a bit looser than yours along the side and my attachment loop doesn't not line up but I found that the loose bits you mention have no appreciable effect on my warmth.

No cold spots here either

I slept in my 20 degree wooki 2 weekends ago down to 31 degrees - I wore basic synthetic base layer and a synthetic hoodie and a pair of wool socks and stayed toasty.

If Brandon is watching this thread I wonder if he will make on special order a dual lay wooki for folks that like to flip flop in the middle of the night?

Also - people often ask about venting...I use a loop of cord on one end that is just a taughtline hitch and that serves to vent as needed the wooki and to fit my other hammocks that need some extension to fit proper.

If you have someone to help you fitting the wooki to another hammock - use the loop - start loose - and have someone tight to the taughtline hitch till the rubber band and is stretching a bit...then you are done.

Shug. Your wife is hot and seems very compliant!

Yes, important to get your foot end plenty high. Though, I always use my Thermarest footpad in my TQ footbox as it is comfortable on my heels. foot injuries due to sports and circus.
    As to dual lay....I think one needs to commit to a side. It would be a lot of down!
    Yes, my wife also sleeps with her eyes open.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hope to go in a couple of weeks but I have many systems to choose from!!
    Wasn't it nice to not have to reach out and pull the UQ up to your shoulder? I sometimes reach down there out of habit but there's nothing to adjust! I would prefer this in zero degrees just for that factor alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast