Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    You may also like the Hobo Hanky. It is similar to the shemagh in size and function but without the distinctively Arab look. They are more like the bandanas of the American cowboys. The owner is also really nice and has great customer service.

http://hobohanky.com/gallery.html?m

Hammock
    DH Sparrow and DH Free Bird
    Tarp
    HG Hex and UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 and 40
    Suspension
    Clinch Buckle
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/goosesocks.shtml
    http://www.undergroundquilts.com/skully/default.html
    http://www.backcountry.com/smartwool-neck-gaiter
    https://www.amazon.com/Ibex-Indie-Qu...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Thats my set up. Except for the down socks. Thats on my list. The down hat is like an oven by the way. The two neck gators work great together. One is shorter and a thicker fabric which keeps my neck warm. The other is taller and thinner fabric which pulls up well over my ears and mouth and is easy to breath through. I also use them around town.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    SUPER FLY
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I can't sleep in the tight fitting balaclavas. so I bought this for $11.00 on amazon.File Feb 06, 10 11 55 AM.jpg
    It works great for me.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use a balaclava but find it a tad tight as well and want one that is a tad more loose fitting

I am like the OP

Live in AL and 20-30 is lowest for most occasions.

I did ok at 31 degrees a few weeks ago with a thin balaclava and a beanie - but still pulled TQ over my head so I am back to looking for a warmer balaclava (mine is like a thin stretchy synthetic)

So many ideas in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A nice thick fleece balaclava works nicely for me. Another alternative that I've used is just a stocking hat and scarf. The scarf protects the neck and chin, and if it gets very cold I'll pull the stocking hat over my eyes and nose.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I finally tried a merino wool Buff. I never thought I needed one of these, and only occasionally use a fleece neck gaiter...but WOW! What an invaluable piece of gear! I can only remember a few minutes here and there when I actually took this thing off all weekend (after the cold front moved thru). Cloudy and 36° for a high with 30mph wind really cut thru me, but keeping my neck warm made all the difference. I also pulled it up over my face a bit when necessary. In conjunction with a cap it's a bulletproof setup. It's so light I hardly felt it the whole time. I even wore it to sleep.

So glad I brought it along. I hesitated since it was 75° and sunny when I arrived, but it dropped to 26° in 14 hours. Almost 50 degrees!!!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I finally tried a merino wool Buff. I never thought I needed one of these, and only occasionally use a fleece neck gaiter...but WOW! What an invaluable piece of gear! I can only remember a few minutes here and there when I actually took this thing off all weekend (after the cold front moved thru). Cloudy and 36° for a high with 30mph wind really cut thru me, but keeping my neck warm made all the difference. I also pulled it up over my face a bit when necessary. In conjunction with a cap it's a bulletproof setup. It's so light I hardly felt it the whole time. I even wore it to sleep.

So glad I brought it along. I hesitated since it was 75° and sunny when I arrived, but it dropped to 26° in 14 hours. Almost 50 degrees!!!
    After trying the balaclava, it was just too uncomfortable for me to sleep in. However, I noticed that if I pulled it all the way down so it was just covering my neck and I wore a stocking cap), I was fine. So it sounds like the buff is going to be the way to go. Yay for REI's return policy....

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dfscott View Post
    After trying the balaclava, it was just too uncomfortable for me to sleep in. However, I noticed that if I pulled it all the way down so it was just covering my neck and I wore a stocking cap), I was fine. So it sounds like the buff is going to be the way to go. Yay for REI's return policy....
    Absolutely! Just the neck, up over the chin, over mouth, over nose, etc. Lots of versatility with the buff. I really liked pulling it up at an angle over my neck and ears since my cap is about 1" too short. I think it keeps shrinking so time to swap that out.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY 20* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I either wear a balaclava or wool beanie and pull it down right above my nose.

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    One additional thought. I grew up in a bitter cold climate. Consequently, I learned to breathe the cold outside air. I like a head covering mostly to help keep my bedding clean, and I use a number of the head coverings mentioned. But I like to keep most of my face bare because I enjoy the cool, clean night air, and you might learn to enjoy it too with time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast