Hello All! Future Hanger from Indy

Hey guys,

Newb here. I have been tent camping since I was knee-high to a grass hopper. My Dad and Grandpa spent every waking moment in the woods so naturally I followed suit. I was introduced to hammock camping by a sheer fluke. While looking into some product comparisons I came across a series of YouTube videos highlighting the Pros and Cons of hammock camping. From there... I blame it all on Shug. Now I am in my third week of daily research and videos. My goal is to place my first order by next Friday, 2/10.

As I said, I live in Indiana and do most of my camping/backpacking in the state. We got bugs... So naturally I have heavily weighed the option of an inclusive bug net such as the WBBB XLC or the soon-to-come Chameleon. I love the design of both but I am nervous to commit to a first time purchase of such magnitude. As with any other necessary gear I am sure (should I absolutely love hammock camping) I will eventually buy a few different types to compare and to use as loaners for friends as well as for my son. I think I have settled on the Dutchware wide 11' Hexon single layer with Whoopies and a ridgeline. From there I can always add a Fronkey.

I guess my thinking is if I don't need the bug net I can just leave it in my bag and a Fronkey (I could be WAY wrong here) being nano-see-um and shock cord would weigh as much or slightly less than a detachable bug net with a zipper sewn in. I am sure I comparing apples to oranges but I am very open to advice/suggestions.

P.s. Sorry for the open-ended, advice seeking Introduce Yourself thread. Gotta start somewhere.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome Big-Red to Hammock Forums. There have been a few of the Warbonnet BB XLC's in the for sale section lately so that may be an option as well. I use my bug net year round down here so integrated was the only way to go in my opinion so you do not have all that extra bug net and they can be a mess to deal with if they just hang. Keep up the search and let us know if you have any questions.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Welcome

My opinion, you are on the right track. The Dutch Hexon 11' is a great product at a great price and based on where you will be camping a removable bug net is the way to go (you will really only need it for part of the year). I'm in Chicago and camp throughout the Midwest and beyond and only use a net a couple months out of the year.

Not sure what suspension you are considering but, again my opinion, go with straps and cinch buckles. I have whoopies, and straps and all manner of things and the cinch buckle setup is just plain simple and reliable. Oh and, get yourself a fixed ridgeline....well worth a few bucks.

That is all....have fun.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA. Happy hanging!

TrailSlug/Campdavid - Thanks. I love the input.

As for suspension I like the idea of whoopies but I was also going to buy Dutch's Beetle Buckle with the Dyneema straps. Thought it could not be more simple than that. Also the ability to double hang with the buckles and the bar would be fun with my 8 year old soon.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
    TrailSlug/Campdavid - Thanks. I love the input.

As for suspension I like the idea of whoopies but I was also going to buy Dutch's Beetle Buckle with the Dyneema straps. Thought it could not be more simple than that. Also the ability to double hang with the buckles and the bar would be fun with my 8 year old soon.
    Whoopies are fine and might save you a couple ounces. Admittedly I do use them on my main camping hammock but that's mainly because I've been too lazy to switch them out. I've never had any problems at all with Whoopies but they can be a little fiddly.

I sleep in a hammock at home most nights and have straps on it. Oh and that is at home as in the basement not outside. Twenty years of marriage = move to my own space in the man cave. :-)

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Welcome from northern Arkansas! Hard to go wrong with the vendors represented here on HF! I have 3 differ brands of hammocks, and 6 different brands of quilts, and haven't been disappointed yet!

Hammock
    WBBB,XLC
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Hey Indy, welcome, I would definitely suggest a bug net,
    It has more advantage than keeping bugs out like keeping personal things from falling out of the hammock also. But I have to admit I have net less to but only use them in cold weather.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello and welcome from Alabama. Lots of bugs here, so I chose a hammock with integrated net. Turning it over is an option, but I have also just unzipped it and rigged up a tie back like you see on tents. Your pre-purchase research is way better than mine! Good luck!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to the forums fellow Hoosier!
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

• + New Posts