Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    11' HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix + EE Rev
    Suspension
    WS+Soft Shackle
    Images
    As others have said, there's definitely a slight adjustment period - both to sleeping in the hammock and also to setting up the hammock to create the ideal sleep for your tastes.

Perhaps more importantly, though, is the exhaustion factor - at least for me. I didn't have a seriously good night's sleep (and by this I mean the "Shug-10-hour-better-than-my-bed" sleep) until I took my hammock setup on a serious solo trip were I was covering serious miles every day and my body needed the rest. As a side sleeper at home, I sleep on my back in my hammock because by the time I make camp, usually I'm nearly passing out just testing my hang before I even get my quilts on.

Adjusting to the "openness" of hammocking can take some time too... like others have said, that first night out can be nerve-wracking - you feel much more a part of the woods in a hammock than enclosed in a tent - like critters can just walk on up and poke you. But in reality I would assume most look at you like "what the **** is this?" where they may have seen a tent before. Definitely second the earplugs tip if night noise is a consistent problem.

Don't give up so soon! Especially if the GF is into it - it's worth it but it takes patience for sure!
    The want of wandering, and a welcomed whimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
    As others have said, there's definitely a slight adjustment period - both to sleeping in the hammock and also to setting up the hammock to create the ideal sleep for your tastes.

Perhaps more importantly, though, is the exhaustion factor - at least for me. I didn't have a seriously good night's sleep (and by this I mean the "Shug-10-hour-better-than-my-bed" sleep) until I took my hammock setup on a serious solo trip were I was covering serious miles every day and my body needed the rest. As a side sleeper at home, I sleep on my back in my hammock because by the time I make camp, usually I'm nearly passing out just testing my hang before I even get my quilts on.

Adjusting to the "openness" of hammocking can take some time too... like others have said, that first night out can be nerve-wracking - you feel much more a part of the woods in a hammock than enclosed in a tent - like critters can just walk on up and poke you. But in reality I would assume most look at you like "what the **** is this?" where they may have seen a tent before. Definitely second the earplugs tip if night noise is a consistent problem.

Don't give up so soon! Especially if the GF is into it - it's worth it but it takes patience for sure!
    Thanks Twigs!

Well, I've sold the whole setup and returned a new mirrored XLC/Wookie setup to Warbonnet (Thanks Brandon for allowing that!).

I'm wondering if, as a dedicated side sleeper, I need a bridge hammock.

I may try out the REI Quarter Dome Bridge hammock (I'd rather return something to REI than to Warbonnet). If a bridge makes the difference I'll post about it.

-ADVR9T

Hammock
    no preference at this point
    Tarp
    Full winter tarp
    Suspension
    strap/toggle/whoop
    Just out of curiosity did you try setting up your hammock with some sag and then lay at an angle across the hammock? If you didn't, that actually gets you laying flat and will let you side sleep easier than trying to roll around while laying right down the center line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123