Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just checked out the weather. High of 49, low of 37. If the weather stays that way I could be tempted into meeting you guys for Saturday.

What does the "final" itinerary look like?
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Hardline 11ft
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    JacksrBetter
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    Arriving at Southern terminus at 1pm friday >drive up to northern term> Hike until teeter pond?
    Saturday hike from teeter pond back to the cars, passing the Durham lean to along the way. ..I wouldn't be opposed to staying out somewhere Saturday night since temps will be mild and the car situation

http://www.cnyhiking.com/InterlokenTrail.htm

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I'm not that confident in my setup. Here is a short video, sorry it's sideways. I had a hard time getting it all the way to the ground. It's tight and stayed strong two nights. The hammock was setup for 12 hours in light rain and sleet. I can't tell if it got wet or if it's just real damp. Either way it wasn't sticking out the end of the tarp last night but was this am. Something loosened up.

https://youtu.be/kPFzrLYrXrQ&showsearch=0">https://youtu.be/kPFzrLYrXrQ&showsearch=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Hammock
    Homemade!
    Tarp
    Winter 12 orange
    Insulation
    Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Keroca17 View Post
    Arriving at Southern terminus at 1pm friday >drive up to northern term> Hike until teeter pond?
    Saturday hike from teeter pond back to the cars, passing the Durham lean to along the way. ..I wouldn't be opposed to staying out somewhere Saturday night since temps will be mild and the car situation

http://www.cnyhiking.com/InterlokenTrail.htm
    That pretty much sums it up...

2/17 - Friday
    1:00PM - Keroca17 meets up with Preacher40 & friend at Southern terminus (Burnt Hill Rd.) for vehicle drop-off.
    1:30PM - Whole group meets at northern terminus (Parmenter Rd).
    ~5:00PM - set up camp at either Teeter Pond (2.4mi) or Foster Pond (5.85mi) depending on how smooth the hiking is.

2/18 - Saturday
    - Hike south toward Durham Lean-to, likely stopping for lunch, but the timing will be dependent on the morning time of departure and how we are all feeling. For those who want to meet up on Saturday, we will plan on meeting at Foster Pond at 9:30AM to continue the hike south.

I will drive everyone back up their parking at the northern terminus (or mid-point) if they would like. I won't be able to stick around for an extra day, but for those that want to hike more there are a number of options. (Finger Lakes Trail, South Slope Trail, Gorge Trail, Burnt Hill Trail, Ravine Trail, Backbone Trail, and the No-Tan-Takto Trail... see http://www.cnyhiking.com/InterlokenTrail.htm)

Hammock
    Homemade!
    Tarp
    Winter 12 orange
    Insulation
    Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    I'm not that confident in my setup. Here is a short video, sorry it's sideways. I had a hard time getting it all the way to the ground. It's tight and stayed strong two nights. The hammock was setup for 12 hours in light rain and sleet. I can't tell if it got wet or if it's just real damp. Either way it wasn't sticking out the end of the tarp last night but was this am. Something loosened up.

https://youtu.be/kPFzrLYrXrQ&showsearch=0">https://youtu.be/kPFzrLYrXrQ&showsearch=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
    I wasn't able to play the video, could you try the link again, perhaps non-imbedded.

Hammock
    Homemade!
    Tarp
    Winter 12 orange
    Insulation
    Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Keroca17 View Post
    Since we are going to be dropping a car off at the southern term I wouldn't mind leaving a water cache if it would be easily accessible and somewhat needed.
    I will be good, I don't mind carrying a little extra, but if someone else would appreciate it that is a nice offer.

Hammock
    Homemade!
    Tarp
    Winter 12 orange
    Insulation
    Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    I am trying to pull it together. I need to get an under quilt done. I nought a military intermediate cold mummy bag good to -10. I'm thinking about opening the foot end and adding channels all around for bungee. I'll add a BB&B down throw between the bag and hammock. I have a -10 Ozark Trail. I have an old sleeping bag I can use over my Ozark.
    I only recently made an underquilt, I worked off a piece of reflectix and a camp pad for a while before that. If you would like to borrow the reflectix or pad you are welcome to.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    I could not play video in post, but link worked: https://youtu.be/kPFzrLYrXrQ

I'm still a newb, and my last winter hang was Jan 1 but was in a lean to. Your set up certainly seems tighter than mine - we will often bring tarp (Noah 12) to ground on side facing predominant wind but have it almost porch mode facing other way. We have summer socks which can be used to cut the wind a bit. I have a Superfly on order and frequently see that tarp pitched in snow with space between it and ground. But other winter tarps seem to usually be pitched nice and tight like your set up.

You could hang a roll of toilet paper under your test set up - that will show if you have precipitation getting in.

Hammock
    Homemade!
    Tarp
    Winter 12 orange
    Insulation
    Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That link helped, Your setup tarp/hammock wise should do perfectly well for ya. I have done my setup with it all the way down to the ground and in porch mode in the winter. Honestly, the need to go all the way to the ground is only there if your insulation is lacking. I found that when I used a reflectix sheet (modified to be wide enough for me) and a cheap thermarest from Herb Philipson's they did all I needed down to 20° with a 15° sleeping bag.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    My cold weather rig:
    • Tarp: Noah 12 (maybe Superfly - it left Denver last night)
    • Sock: Dutch's Summer sock. I know. It ain't summer but we rotate it and it acts as a top cover. If I bring the 'pod' I may leave this home.
    • Pod: I used a 40F summer lite-weight rectangular bag as a pod and this helped. Not sure if I will carry it this time.
    • Underquilt: Jarbidge 3 season & footpad(dang thing moves around a lot)
    • Hammock: Dutch netless
    • Topquilt: 0F Synthetic mummy
    • Last layer: I have an escape lite breathable bivvy. I think this, the pod and the sock are overkill. At least one of them will be left home.
    • Pad: In January at 12F I had a cold butt so slid a Klymit insulated mat from my tent days under me. But turns out my 'pod' had unzipped. Hoping to leave this home. Or substitute with scrap reflectix.
    • <drum-roll please>: Hot water bottle!

Laying stuff out tonight to get an idea of space and weight. Way to much gear listed there.
    Last edited by stryder; 02-15-2017 at 10:01. Reason: corrections

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast