Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Controlling condensation in my test hammock rig

The setup is a MYOG double layer hammock.
    A full length CCF pad inside.
    2 - 1/2 lengths 3/8 CCF sideways.
    Extended campmor poncho/tarp as a garlington under shell, no top.
    2 garbage bags filled with crumpled emer blankets.
    Ultra 20 quilt.
    Heavy Johns
    Thick Socks
    Down bomber style hat.

This was a test run last night, 22dF when I went to sleep, 14dF this morning.

I had a 10x12 foot tarp pretty much closed up like in storm mode. Slight opening in the ends and there was some air circulation inside.

I expected some condensation. Condensation on the tarp was very very light and only at the very top.

Condensation in my quilt was heavy and it delofted about 1". I understand the conceptof condensation inside the sleping bag theory in cold weather, IE it forms on the warm side inside the bag.

Went to sleep at about 10:30 PM. I was very warm until about 5am. Very cozy and I expect that the delofting lessened the warmth a little. I was still comfortable, just a few cold spots and slept until 8 am.

Its a good setup but I need to make some adjustments like open up the sides to put the CCF pads between the layers.

I tend to sleep on my side and skrunch up and pull the quilt over my head and make a breathng hole so I know some exhaled breath makes it into the inside of the quilt.

One answer is a vapor barrier liner bag or clothes and I do have a med emer bivy (the heavy one) that I carry just in case (7oz) that I can use inside my quilt but I just dont like the clammy feeling.

Another option would be a breathable quilt bottom insulation and I think that would help, but I intend to carry CCF pads anyway in case I end up on the ground.

Third option would be to buy or build a 15-20dF climasheild quilt and just not worry about it which I may do anyway.

Any sugestions welcomed.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    A full length CCF pad inside.
    2 - 1/2 lengths 3/8 CCF sideways.
    There's your culprit.

Replace the CCF with an UQ...

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

What I am having a hard time understanding is when you sleep on the ground on a CCF or inflatable or any other pad except for maybe leaves isn't it doing the same thing as a CCF pad in a hammock ?? only I dont get that much condensation on the ground.

Or is it because its wrapped around on the upper torso with the 2 1/2 length pads ??

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Someone else will have to answer that... I neither sleep on the ground, nor use CCF pads!

All I know is that they are worse than any other kind of insulation for making condensation in hammocks.

- MacEntyre, not qualified!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    What I am having a hard time understanding is when you sleep on the ground on a CCF or inflatable or any other pad except for maybe leaves isn't it doing the same thing as a CCF pad in a hammock ?? only I dont get that much condensation on the ground.

Or is it because its wrapped around on the upper torso with the 2 1/2 length pads ??
    tammons, I had a problem with this myself. I may be wrong, but it seems like it may have something to do with the hammock (and pads) curving around. Maybe less air circulation with the pad taco thing going on?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Da da Da da Da da.....Condensation

this is what iv' seen ...i ground camped for many years and had condensation a few times on my pad...not much but alittle...but in a hammock...i get alot...thats why i don't use them

i think as someone pointed out already it has to do with airflow that and in a hammock you don't have a sleeping bag under you...so your right against the pad so the water vapors have no place to go...and there is no air to dry them up
    maybe someone else will chime in on this that knows the real reason why...but that is the only thing i can think of
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    Wow, that is a surprising amount of condensation in the GL quilt for one night. I use the same quilt, and I have had some problems with my breath condensing near my face/neck. But never enough in the quilt body to notice any loss of loft. And your idea about the Climashield would definitely be an improvement over wet down, especially as much wet as you're getting.

Like the others said, the pads are a likely culprit. Probably mainly because the pads are wrapping around you, though some folks sweat on pads in hammocks no matter what. But, it is worth noting that many here are using leg pads with torso UQs and down Top Quilts laying on the pad with no reported condensation problems, even at very cold temps. But, the leg pad does not wrap around your legs like a torso pad will, so that wrap might make things worse on top. Did you notice if your quilt was wet all over, including legs?

There might be another factor. That poncho you used as a Garlington under shell, was it breathable? That sounds similar in function to the HH SS undercover, which is NOT breathable. I used it once in very humid conditions ( though only about 45-50*F) without the space blanket I normally put over the under pad. The next morning the foot of the bag and foot of the under pad were pretty darn wet.

So if that poncho is not pretty darn breathable, that combined with your pads and that closed in tarp may be what got you wet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I've slept in a hammock with just a blue ccf and a quilt (wasn't that cold, granted, just down to 33f or so) and not had the condensation. I think Billy Bob is right that it's a combo of things. I like the tarp wide open unless it's actually stormy and have not used a poncho other than driducks, which is breathable.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    CCF and wool
    Suspension
    Slap straps
    Thanks for telling me about the CCF. I am trying a hammock tomorrow night and it will be in the low teens. I may have to rethink the setup that I am going to use. I might just use wool blankets under me and a -40 deg bag on the top.
    Time alone in the woods recharges my battery

Billy Bob is probably right. The campmor poncho/tarp is not breathable (silnylon) and is very big. 5'w x 9' long. It wraps nicely around the hammock, and pretty much all the way up the sides.

I was interested in it as a double use item, IE rain gear and under shell, but it looks like that wont work. It was warm though. If I had worn vapor barrier clothing to bed, I probably could have gone down to zero with just what I had and that would have eliminated the damp quilt.

Also what probably would work is a 9' long piece of tyvek.

Yes the entire quilt was very damp and not just on the outside.
    I had no condensation on the CCF pads at all. Maybe I just sweat top up.

I have had similar dampness before years ago in a -40dF bag in 10dF AT rainey sleet very damp weather in a tent, but with a -40dF bag you are not so worried about loft.

That compared to an outdoors sleep a few months ago on the ground, 40dF, no tent or tarp, outdoors, no bivy, very humid like maybe 60%, heavy dew in a montbell down bag. It was damp the next morning, but just the shell and dried in about 2 minutes of sun.

I think a garlington setup would work better if it was made with a 1.25oz tyvek bottom and tyvek bags so it would breath.

That said a breathable quilt would be much more comfortable still.

About the wool quilts, yes, but too heavy to hike with.

I am probably going to build a climasheild XP under quilt.
    Sleeping directly on CCF pads in a hammock is a major PIA.
    They kept on slipping around inside my hammock all night.
    I think I adjusted them 3-4 times during the night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast