Images

Costco UQ Thoughts

I have 2 Costco down throws I'm thinking of converting to an underquilt. I've ripped vertical seams on both already. I'm thinking of shaking the down to one end, then cutting/narrowing them, making them ~45" by 70". Also thinking of sewing the two together to make a big "envelope". Sewing both ends together, then one side and most of the third side, leaving a gap. My thought is, that this would give me the ability to add more insulation, like a blanket or woobie or the like. Thoughts? Would that work?

Also planning on adding tabs on each end and using the "clew" type suspension. The other thought is to sew each end first then shift the whole thing over (i.e. rotate it) one-half baffle width, so that the baffle seam from the bottom layer will be aligned with the center of the baffle from the top layer, hopefully eliminating cold spots from the sewn-through construction.

Would love any feedback on my plan...

--Matt

Images
    I'm running some similar tests next week. My plan is a no-sew snap together clew quilt. I haven't decided on leaving the full 60 inch width or trimming, so I need to see how it works on clews first.

If you are willing to do some easy sewing, you can use the faux baffle trick to get rid of sewn through cold spots.

I had two of these as well. Mine is sewn through. I haven't had any trouble with it. It works well for spring and fall. Had it as low as 45 and comfortable. I strung one up after shaking down the down. Then I opened the other and stuffed it in doubling the amount of down in each baffle. If I were to do it again I would take half of the down from the end baffles and disperse it throughout the more centralized baffles. I trimmed it down on the sides so it's about 46in and it ended up being I believe just over 60 long. I can confirm measurements later. I have thought about opening it back up and buying some additional down. But I'm happy for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    If you add down the width will shrink. I lost about 8 inches in width by adding down. It was quite puffy though!
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

I figured it might shrink but get rid of some of the heat loss related to the sewn through construction.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Yeah it does. You still feel every line at 40 degrees unless you double them up or use faux baffles https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...h-Faux-Baffles I really like my stuffed UQ because you don't have to play around with down placement and it is great to 45.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Looks good! Starting my Apex quilt for colder weather this weekend! Should be fun!

• + New Posts