Hammock
    LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    PT's Ultralight Ha

Hi! I'm Devon from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

So, finally after a few years of lurking in the shadows and watching EVERY, SINGLE, ONE of Shugs videos, not to mention all the other people I follow on YouTube and other such social media hang outs, I finally decided to make a profile and say hello. Hello!

I'll just come out and say it, I'm a ground camper, but before you all pile on me like a brawl at the pub, know that I'm impatiently awaiting my new Dutch Chameleon, which will be my first hammock btw.

I've been sleeping on the ground for over 10 years and I don't think I've ever gotten a good nights sleep, so this whole floating in the air thing has got me intrigued. I have a feeling I'm going to like it, but I will have lots of questions. I'll do my best to research first, but it may come down to just throwing a question out into the wind and hoping the breeze brings me the answers I'm looking for.

A little about me... I'm 32. I begrudgingly live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada where it's currently -8°C. I have a small dog named Daphne. Umm I dunno, if you want to know more, simply raise your hand and ask the question.

I have a website, if you're interested. It's www.devonhowton.com it's mostly just a landing zone for my friends and family to see what I'm up to and where I am on the trail. I was planning to hike the PCT this year, but it's looking more and more like I'll have to push that until 2018. in the meantime, I'll be posting blogs about my trips, gear I'm using, my new hammock camping experiences, etc, etc...

Anyways, thanks for hanging out!
    - Devon
    Last edited by DevonHowton; 01-27-2017 at 01:59.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA. Good luck on your upcoming thru attempt. Will Daphne be going with you?

Happy hanging!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello and nice to meet you!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Hi Devon,

Welcome to the best nights sleep ever. Glad to see you off the ground. I'll be interested to see what your thoughts are.

Great first hammock choice. Dutch makes great stuff and I have heard nothing but good things about the Chameleon. Unfortunately you are now hooked on all things Dutch.

Sounds like you need see indoor hooks to hang from. I can't imagine - 8. WHEW!

The wind blows strong here. I'm sure you will have no problem getting the answers you seek.

Cheers and welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Welcome. I spent some of my early years in Grande Prairie, so I get the winters. Or I used to.

Your website looks fantastic! Great pictures. I'm going to spend some more time going through it later. I'll probably be in Calgary for a conference in September, and I'm thinking of tacking on a few days and doing some hiking/hanging in Banff.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Welcome from Saskatoon! -8, that's cold weather in Calgary

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    PT's Ultralight Ha
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA. Good luck on your upcoming thru attempt. Will Daphne be going with you?

Happy hanging!
    Thanks for the luck, I'll keep all my well wishes with me.

Unfortunately no, Daphne will not be coming with me. It is illegal in some areas to have pets. Not to mention, she is 12 lbs. She's little, which means that when she tires, I'll have to carry her. When you consider my base weight is 11 lbs, that's a lot of extra weight I'd have to carry. Also her food and water too...

Quote Originally Posted by rick417 View Post
    Hello and nice to meet you!
    Thanks Rick!

Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    Hi Devon,

Welcome to the best nights sleep ever. Glad to see you off the ground. I'll be interested to see what your thoughts are.

Great first hammock choice. Dutch makes great stuff and I have heard nothing but good things about the Chameleon. Unfortunately you are now hooked on all things Dutch.

Sounds like you need see indoor hooks to hang from. I can't imagine - 8. WHEW!

The wind blows strong here. I'm sure you will have no problem getting the answers you seek.

Cheers and welcome.
    Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

I've been following a number of different hammock makers for a while now and was pretty set on the WBBB XLC, but when I saw the Chameleon, something just struck a chord and I decided to commit, and backed the kickstarter campaign.

I may look into an indoor hang set-up, but I think I'll wait until I've slept in one before I start putting holes into the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Welcome. I spent some of my early years in Grande Prairie, so I get the winters. Or I used to.

Your website looks fantastic! Great pictures. I'm going to spend some more time going through it later. I'll probably be in Calgary for a conference in September, and I'm thinking of tacking on a few days and doing some hiking/hanging in Banff.
    Thanks Caminante. I appreciate the compliment about my site. I'm always open to suggestions when it comes to design or content, if you have any.

If/when you find yourself out this way, send me a PM, I wouldn't mind some company out in the woods every now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Welcome from Saskatoon! -8, that's cold weather in Calgary
    Thanks Firesong. It's actually been quite warm so far this year. but I'm still not a fan of anything below 0°C

Devin, I'm in Calgary area too. I've been a long time Lurker here too. I haven't bought yet but seriously thinking about the chameleon too. I'd love to bounce some thoughts off you sometime.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    PT's Ultralight Ha
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Devin, I'm in Calgary area too. I've been a long time Lurker here too. I haven't bought yet but seriously thinking about the chameleon too. I'd love to bounce some thoughts off you sometime.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chestermere is about a half hour from me, so we're in each others neighbourhood.

I am available at your leisure John.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    Hello from Ontario, spent about 5 years near Edmonton, lots of great views from your hammock out there once you get hanging.
    Good luck.
    Niagara

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast