Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images

Sparrow/Raven Question

I recently ordered a DH Sparrow for my wife, #4812, and we are still a couple weeks out at least. I also picked up a DH Raven on here, #4436, which arrived today. My problem is this, my wife LOVES this Raven! She has done nothing but brag on it (and hang out in it). So here is my question, do we stick with the Sparrow (which she has never tried), or switch it up to a Raven (and trick it out as much as possible)? She is asking if her new hammock will be like this one, I just don't know what to tell her. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Peppy; 01-26-2017 at 20:47.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Why don't you show her the difference on the DH website, explain what the differences mean, if she doesn't know, and let her decide?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    If she likes the Raven she'll love the Sparrow, if she is gonna have 2 hammocks then why not have alittle variety?
    The Sparrow will not disapoint, it's an awesome hammock!!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I recently ordered a DH Sparrow for my wife, #4812, and we are still a couple weeks out at least. I also picked up a DH Raven on here, #4436, which arrived today. My problem is this, my wife LOVES this Raven! She has done nothing but brag on it (and hang out in it). So here is my question, do we stick with the Sparrow (which she has never tried), or switch it up to a Raven (and trick it out as much as possible)? She is asking if her new hammock will be like this one, I just don't know what to tell her. Thanks everyone!
    There are two ways to think about this problem.

1. From a marriage standpoint, let her try both and you use whichever one she likes less.

2. From a practical standpoint, the main difference between the Sparrow and Raven is that the Sparrow is an asym hammock with a distinct lay one way or the other and the Raven is symmetrical and allows for either a left or right lay. So, if your wife sleeps on her back and doesn't much care about the lay, then the Sparrow should be fine. My Sparrow is a right lay (head left) which is fine for me since I typically sleep on my left side. If I slept on my right side I'd be miserable. The way the bugnet or cover attaches is also a difference with the net being fully zipped on the Sparrow but having snaps and cords on the Raven. IMHO, the Sparrow is a bit more suited to 4-season hanging because of the cover and net attachment. The Raven is a bit better suited to 1 - 3 season hanging. I guess I'd say the Sparrow is a bit more "serious" for the hanger who knows exactly what they want and intens to use a hammock in all conditions. The Raven is a bit more "flexible" for a hanger who is learning and probably not going to wake up in the middle of winter after 15" of snow.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Grumpy Squatch; 01-27-2017 at 11:50. Reason: Can't spell today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    . My problem is this, my wife LOVES this Raven! She has done nothing but brag on it (and hang out in it).
    I don't know hammocks that well, but I think you've answered your own question.
    (you may never, ever buy a sparrow for yourself)

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    She typically prefers a left lay (head right), but does favor her left side when she side sleeps. Don't know how big a deal that is. We have never had an asymmetrical hammok, but ordered according to how she typically lays. From what you said, almost sounds like she might lay a bit awkward.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    My advice is don't sell something that is already sold. If she likes it great, listen to her and get it. I love my Raven and I don't get how much better a sparrow would be over it. Then again I am not you and don't know her. Good luck.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Went ahead and kept the order a sparrow. We will have both and I will be glad to swap with her if she hates the sparrow (I highly doubt that will happen). I'm sending Raven #4436 back to the smurfs for a few upgrades, tie out hooks and an organizer for sure. Can y'all recommend any other additions that would be useful?

• + New Posts