Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RPJR7 View Post
    Crap, I just got one of the older models a little bit ago and haven't even used it yet!....Maybe I'll put it up for sale to get one of these updated models!
    Same here! Updated quicker than my Microsoft Word and Adobe Reader does.
    The two way zoppers make much more sense to me.
    It is a very comfortable hammock though.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

With the bug net cinched up around the ends is it likely that determined mosquitoes can get into the hammock? I live in the south and the mosquitoes down here seem to be very determined! Just wondering if this is an issue at all as I'm comparing the Raven and Sparrow.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by VoxHog View Post
    With the bug net cinched up around the ends is it likely that determined mosquitoes can get into the hammock? I live in the south and the mosquitoes down here seem to be very determined! Just wondering if this is an issue at all as I'm comparing the Raven and Sparrow.
    Regarding the Raven, the net is not an issue, it is perfect. I have the older model now it guess, and it cinches up to the suspension so not even an ant can walk the tight rope in, the lower adjustment is also a cinch draw closure. I have found that about a 2 fist cinch is about perfect; this draws in the end to lay flat to the hammock and works with your weight in the hammock pulling it tight. The middle of the hammock is zipped to the netting ending beyond the natural curve, this curve net is tight to the hammock body in the curve to the cinch; for reference the lower cinch terminates at the zipper at each end and runs through a channel.
    I did see a few folks concerned that these new updates being a drastic change worthy of selling their gen 1 version for gen2 but I personally like mine enough to go ahead and put it out there that this is the better of the 2 IMO. Looking closely at the new design the zippers meet in the center and not on opposing ends. I am guessing that this was to solve the issue of the one side far end zipper being an issue to open. I fixed this issue with a piece of shot-cord, that runs to each zipper pull running over the ridgeline. The new zipper system seems to work to resolve the earlier design issue, if it was one. But it creates a new one of joining the two zippers in the center, that IMO is just as hard to deal with regarding the far end zipper if at the furthest open away; while a definite improvement of access to open from each end. Now to address the snap closure. My reaction was, "well I guess" don't see how this makes a tighter fit or any easier to close, but I'm taking a guess that putting snaps in may be simpler than running a small bungee in a channel and putting a cord lock on from a assembly view point. And last but not least the new net shape to reduce some of the floppiness; Gen1 version the net and topcover seemed to be cut at a right angle, or square, this allowed to be able to unzip the net/cover and rest on the CL's on each end, allowing the user to have full view and keep it out of the way if not using it but not totally taking it off the hammock to put in a peak bag. I still have not seen any pictures or know if this is doable in the Gen2 version. I do know that with the Gen1 version, that the net and top cover is just about the right size as a ground bivy, and could be rigged like a net t**t between hiking poles and could be attached by running the peak sack through the top opening to the poles and still use a tarp over it if chosen. I really think that the Raven is much more adaptable than shown.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit/LLG CP
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    With the new design with the streamlined net would it be possible to add UnderQuilt hooks?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevtron View Post
    With the new design with the streamlined net would it be possible to add UnderQuilt hooks?
    The Raven's outside edges kinda fold in when the net is used giving this hammock it's unique shape. This folding combined with the way the netting seals means that the UQ hooks wont work with the Raven. Take a peek at the photo below. The green line is shows the outside edge of the hammock fabric.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    Regarding the Raven, the net is not an issue, it is perfect. ...I did see a few folks concerned that these new updates being a drastic change worthy of selling their gen 1 version for gen2 but I personally like mine enough to go ahead and put it out there that this is the better of the 2 IMO. .... I really think that the Raven is much more adaptable than shown.
    I just picked up a barely used 2016 Raven. My assessment was that for the price I couldn't go wrong even if it was "gen 1". I will be plumb delighted to put it through the paces. Since this is my first foray into the GE hammocks I didn't want to spend a bundle to come to the stark realization that my WBRR and Hammocktent 90 degree were indeed the pick of the litter.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow and DH Free Bird
    Tarp
    HG Hex and UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 and 40
    Suspension
    Clinch Buckle
    Your hammocks are always calling for me. I dont even need another hammock and I find myself looking at them You might see me on the order status. I want to check out the 1.7 Robic as well, I wonder how it differs from the 1.6 hyper d.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Looking forward to ordering my Raven here pretty soon! It's great to see you're already improving upon (what I believe to be) a fantastic design!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234