First DIY Top Quilt

Hi everybody. This is my 3rd DIY project. My first two were underquilts for my hammock. The first one was garbage; second was one pretty good. But this time around I decided to go and make myself a top quilt, which I think came out pretty awesome, give or a take a few aesthetic issues.

This is about an 82 inch long quilt(I'm 6ft) and it goes over my head when I stuff my feet all the way into the footbox. It's 52 inches wide.

I have 10 vertical baffles filled with a pound of 700+ Down from Amazon.

Then, my footbox baffles are filled with 4 ounces of Wilderness Logics 850+ down. So, a total of about 20 ounces of down are in this monster.

The loft is between 3 and 3.5 inches. This may be my last DIY project for a while because of the immense frustration I faced sewing the god **** baffles. Every time the baffle sewing drains the fun out of it. That said, I'm immensely proud of it, and even prouder to show it off.

http://imgur.com/a/jKMT5
    Last edited by e_in27; 01-25-2017 at 19:25.

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.0 hexon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I like that, looks great. I look forward to attempting a top quilt once I get my skills a little better.

Great work, that should be very, very warm. You probably know this, but you can embed imgur images directly in posts here. If you select the picture, you'll get a dialog on the right where you can select "Large Thumbnail" and then copy and paste from the box marked "BBCode".
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    great job! I did my first quilt (top quilt) finished it last week...your is super wide! I think mine was only about 47 inches, actually that is not horribly more narrow than yours lol...

I had even more of those darned verticle baffles....14 chambers, 13 baffles, all on original sewing 90 inches long each...I could finish 2-3 in 45 minutes before I got sore.

I got a sewing table that has helped a great deal with that problem of soreness...I think at some point I just accepted I could only do a bit at a time, no more then 2-3 baffles, then walk away...hard for me to do.

You are not done, you are kidding yourself...in like 4 days you will have the itch again
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Looks great e. Better then mine, cause I hadn't done one yet! Gotta keep at it and before too long it'll be second nature.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    This looks gloriously warm. Awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

• + New Posts