Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts

DIY final weights?

Is there list of final diy project weights somewhere?

I'm interested in 11ft HyperD vs 11ft Robic at the moment and top quilts with 3.5, 5 in membrane or ripstop?

I'd been saving screenshots of total weights but I've inadvertently tossed them.

I'm not UL but actually playing packhorse for my three kids backpacking. :-)
    Last edited by makingitoutdoors; 04-01-2017 at 18:34.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    As I mentioned in a previous thread, I made a DIY 11-foot widebody hammock that came out to 8.53 ounces. If I had cut the fabric to standard 60" width, I project I could have shaved another 3/4 of an ounce. This one packs down to about the size of a soda can.

I value the ROBIC for its strength and firmness in a single-layer ultralight hammock; trailworthiness still matters to me, even when going light. As a father of a young child I will take camping until she's an adult, it matters even more.

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-01-2017 at 18:57.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    My diy 11ft 1.6oz HyperD with attached bugnet, dutchbiners ( titanium carabiners) , 6ft whoopie slings, 8ft poly/dynema tree straps , and titanium toggles comes in at around pound for the whole shebang in the sil nylon double sided stuff sack.

I guess it really depends on fabric weight. I could have shaved some grams going 1.0 oz, or dropping the whoopie slings, not having attached net etc.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by kev138 View Post
    My diy 11ft 1.6oz HyperD with attached bugnet, dutchbiners ( titanium carabiners) , 6ft whoopie slings, 8ft poly/dynema tree straps , and titanium toggles comes in at around pound for the whole shebang in the sil nylon double sided stuff sack.
    Perfect. My bugnet will be separate but everything else in the same. I ordered everything a little while ago for my husbands setup.

I'll do the Robic for me after that one but I haven't felt the HyperD so I wanted to use it first, also cheaper if I make a mistake.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My diy 11ft 1.6oz HyperD with attached bugnet...

I guess it really depends on fabric weight. I could have shaved some grams going 1.0 oz, or dropping the whoopie slings, not having attached net etc.
    I think you're right. If it's in the neighborhood of 132" x 58", the hammock body of your single-layer 1.6 oz HyperD (approximately 6.1 square yards) must weigh about 9.8 ounces, over an ounce more than the complete 1.0 oz ROBIC. With a 110" Amsteel ridge line and a couple of 8" continuous loops, that will add almost another ounce. The entire remainder of your impressively light set-up, to come in at about a pound, has to be at or under 6 ounces, which is pretty amazing. I wish I could produce a zippered bug net and tree-to-tree suspension that came in under that weight, as you did, considering you have 16 feet of Dyneema/polypro tree straps at 4.9 grams per foot, which is nearly half of that weight complement -- and that's not even making allowance for the whoopies and toggles. I made a DIY integrated-net single-layer hammock with dimensions identical to yours out of 1.55 oz Multicam Epsilon last year, but it came out to a finished weight of just over a pound (17.1 oz) with only continuous loops (no suspension). What mesh and zippers did you use for your attached net to get it so light?

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-01-2017 at 21:20.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I think you're right. If it's in the neighborhood of 132" x 58", the hammock body of your single-layer 1.6 oz HyperD (approximately 6.1 square yards) must weigh about 9.8 ounces, over an ounce more than the complete 1.0 oz ROBIC. With a 110" Amsteel ridge line and a couple of 8" continuous loops, that will add almost another ounce. The entire remainder of your impressively light set-up, to come in at about a pound, has to be at or under 6 ounces, which is pretty amazing. I wish I could produce a zippered bug net and tree-to-tree suspension that came in under that weight, as you did, considering you have 16 feet of Dyneema/polypro tree straps at 4.9 grams per foot, which is nearly half of that weight complement -- and that's not even making allowance for the whoopies and toggles. I made a DIY integrated-net single-layer hammock with dimensions identical to yours out of 1.55 oz Multicam Epsilon last year, but it came out to a finished weight of just over a pound (17.1 oz) with only continuous loops (no suspension). What mesh and zippers did you use for your attached net to get it so light?

I believe the mesh was either the 0.5 or 0.67 can't remember which but think it is the .67 oz, the zipper is the no. 3 coil zipper, and my ridgeline is the 1.75 mm dynema. Of course now ya got me wanting to put the hammock on the scale and double check myself on the weight. I know its over a pound but not by much. Will pull it out and double check myself after work this morning.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I believe the mesh was either the 0.5 or 0.67 can't remember which but think it is the .67 oz, the zipper is the no. 3 coil zipper, and my ridgeline is the 1.75 mm dynema. Of course now ya got me wanting to put the hammock on the scale and double check myself on the weight. I know its over a pound but not by much. Will pull it out and double check myself after work this morning.
    Regardless, as I said back then when you posted it, it's a great design and well executed. Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    No worries. Total weight on my postal scale has it at 1lb 6.7 oz. So about a pound and a half. I knew it was less than 2lbs because that was the final weight on my first diy hammock. You had me second guessing myself and my spotty memory ( old age setting in) so it made me wanna double check if I was thinking of the weight before I threw the straps into the bag with the hammock.
    I still want to do a hammock with a lighter 1.0 oz HyperD or Robic material without whoopie slings just using dutch spiders to see if I can get below a pound. I'm just not sure about the stretch on the lighter materials as I'm about 210 lbs ( trying to drop another 10 lbs but stuck there right now).

• + New Posts