Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Tarp
    DIY Butterfly Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    I hung my tarp yesterday and took pictures (before seam sealing). I made a video I just have to edit of DIY seam sealer too. I'll post that in another thread.

One thing I would like to say is that first of all, I didn't order anywhere near enough webbing. The 5' recommendation on the parts list was way to little. I had some extra nylon straps laying around that I used rather than wait and order more. They were almost exactly the same except one was wider.

I did realize that the parts list doesn't include the optional side-outs but the 1yd of reinforcement material was plenty enough. Even so, I'd have come up short on the webbing for the pull-outs anyway.

Here I have measured the pull-outs. I cut a piece of fabric big enough for all four then drew lines with tailor's chalk for the size of each along with seam allowance. Then I cut the four pieces and clipped the corners so they didn't get too fat there.
    P3150005.jpg

These are the finished pull-outs. I didn't do the first one right (sewed seams all the way around it, realized it was wrong so I went back again to see what Jellyfish did. WWJD? LOL
    P3150007.jpg

This is my finished tarp, side view. Notice how the pull-outs are a little crooked. I really tried hard to sew them straight. Really!
    P3160017.jpg

These next two are the pull-outs ala Jellyfish style.
    P3160020.jpg
    P3160021.jpg

I made a mistake with the third one and sewed it on backwards. I had to seam rip it, but couldn't use it again because I had already cut it to match and it didn't match in reverse. Instead of making a new one, I decided to try a diamond shape.
    P3160019_.JPG

I liked it so the last one I made another. Only I sewed it on the wrong side. Here it looks like it's the right side, but this whole side is the wrong side.
    P3160018.jpg

These are the pull-outs. Some are a little crooked. I inadvertently put the pull-outs on the wrong side. I thought I was on the right side but should have checked the hems. So now all my hems are on the outside, but on the bright side, it looks "pretty" from the inside (and that's where I'll be right?)
    P3160023.jpg

P3160024.jpg

P3160025_.JPG

This is one of the corners.
    P3160026.jpg

I have learned a lot about sewing, mostly from Jellyfish's videos. I feel very confident that my next tarp (If I make another) will be far easier and better.

One thing that does concern me though . . . when I started sewing I didn't think about threads. I bought thread from the same place as the fabric, but didn't think about a second color thread at the time. After watching and re-watching Jellyfish's videos, I realized I too needed a different color thread for the reinforcements. Well, I didn't want to wait and the store was out of black, so I used some other thread I had. It was a heavy duty thread that I used for my hammock (sewed some velcro on it) but I know it's not the same type as I bought with the fabric. Hence, this dark blue thread concerns me and I think it'll be the first thing that fails. Only time will tell.
    Last edited by xrayextra; 03-17-2017 at 14:09.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    This is beautiful! I seriously considered putting my tie outs to the outside because they just look so cool. Awesome tarp!!!!
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Thank You , Jelly Fish!

I just finished up doing the rolled hem on my first tarp and I cannot thank you enough for your video on the rolled hem foot! I had no idea something like that even existed. I had previously been ironing and pinning my rolled hems to get them to look good. I took your advice and practiced on the pieces from the curve cuts. It was a little frustrating at first but I soon found that I was getting better hems in like a 20th of the time. Plus, no pulls from pins and less fray from excessive handling during pinning.

I also really benefited from many of your other bits of advice like your metered bobbin plate to get straighter stitches and pulling the threads to prevent the feed dogs from binding.

The videos also made the project easier and helped reduce confusion.

My Girlie and I both enjoyed you nerding out over pencils! We couldn't resist buying a box of Mitsubishi's !

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyoka View Post
    Thank You , Jelly Fish!

I just finished up doing the rolled hem on my first tarp and I cannot thank you enough for your video on the rolled hem foot! I had no idea something like that even existed. I had previously been ironing and pinning my rolled hems to get them to look good. I took your advice and practiced on the pieces from the curve cuts. It was a little frustrating at first but I soon found that I was getting better hems in like a 20th of the time. Plus, no pulls from pins and less fray from excessive handling during pinning.

I also really benefited from many of your other bits of advice like your metered bobbin plate to get straighter stitches and pulling the threads to prevent the feed dogs from binding.

The videos also made the project easier and helped reduce confusion.

My Girlie and I both enjoyed you nerding out over pencils! We couldn't resist buying a box of Mitsubishi's !
    Haha awesome! Enjoy your pencils and your tarp. Good pencils and hammocks just seem to go together.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234