Back to the ground.
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    ONETIGRIS UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/toggle

OneTigris UQ - a new budget offering

Just an FYI, there is yet another budget underquilt option on the market and this one has to be the most 'budget-friendly' one I've seen yet. http://www.onetigris.com/product/one...under-blanket/

I received one for review that I'm testing in the coming weeks and months. So far from my initial handling, the quality seems very nice! I have verified weight at 26.2 ounces in the stuffsack with the tags still attached. Pretty much spot on for what is quoted and says to me, consistency/quality in manufacturing.
    Here is a link to some photos I've taken so far:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...zJUWHhfNzh0UzA

So far I've slept in it in my garage a few weekends ago and the temperature got down to 29F. I had my garage door halfway opened and was wearing a fleece beanie, regular socks, fleece pants, t-shirt, and a lightweight down jacket(similar to a Patagonia Down Shirt...9 oz total weight). For my top insulation I was wearing/using my new Evrgrn Crash sack wearable sleeping bag which is only 'rated' to 45 degrees Fahrenheit. So, what was the result? I slept pretty good! I did not have any issues with getting cold and my only times waking up were once to use the restroom and twice to shift around....Which I always do If there was anything I would critique so far about the Onetigris UQ, it would perhaps be that I could see it POSSIBLY being a tad restrictive to movement or getting more diagonal. However this is A) a factor of the design which should be the same across the board like in the Eno UQ's and others and B) can be adjusted some by loosening the attachment points or hanging them differently than pictured.

I should be heading out on a backpacking trip in the next few weeks and will report back then.
    'I Want to See Mountains Again, Gandalf!'

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    I am looking for a budget underquilt. Thank you for posting this! I can see why it might be tricky to get diagonal with this given the shape. I will need this for only 3-4mo/year, since I live in a fairly temperate area. It doesn't get below 32F very often, but I sleep cold. I don't think I can even DIY something for this cheap though, so I will be curious to hear further review.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Thanks for the heads-up! Sounds like an interesting design with the split end and all. It's always good to have another option out there.

For some blasted reason, I have never thought if hanging in the garage. I have a room in my basement that I hang in, but the garage is perfect for gear testing and such.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Might be a great one for tossing under my Ticket Hammcks while doing casual afternoon flops or lounging in my room. Hmm
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Excellent review. I'm in the process of figuring out a lighter weight synthetic option myself as my Snugpak gear is just too heavy for hiking. I've got a CDT UQ and DIY TQ on the way and am looking for a good replacement for my Snugpak UQ. I've got their UQ, TQ and Coccon but prices are cheap on Amazon right now so I doubt I'll end up selling them here so I'll pro!y just keep them for loaners. Maybe I'll check this UQ out. Thanks!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Interesting... I just noticed that onetigris uses the same graphic ( 2 gray trees, mosquito hammock and green UQ) as Snugpak. Snugpaks has a slight difference, a head and foot silhouette in the hammock. I wonder if they helped design it like they use to for DD hammocks?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Back to the ground.
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    ONETIGRIS UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/toggle
    Just an update - I was finally able to get out on a trip the weekend before this past weekend. Unfortunately the trip was cut short due to being evacuated as there was a wildfire on Cold Mountain(Shining Rock Wilderness, Pisgah, NC). So i only got 1 night outdoors on that Friday night before having to pack out late Saturday afternoon. In any case, i slept just fine with the UQ in conjunction with the Evrgrn wearable sleeping bag again. For clothing i just had on some wool socks and some lightweight pajama pants under my nylon hiking pants and then my lightweight down jacket and a beanie. I took my other synthetic puffy jacket and zipped around the footend of my hammock mainly just because it seemed like a neat idea( thnx Shug!) but not sure i really needed it. Going back and looking at historical weather data, it shows that it got down to 34 in Brevard, NC that night. In any case I slept fine.

One thing i'm learning to do with this design of UQ is to suspend it with the foot-end closer to the end of the hammock so as to allow a little more material for my feet to not pop out and hang over the UQ. Not such an issue if zipping my jacket around the foot-end but it's still nice to have that extra little 'cocoon'.

On a side note, after being evacuated later Saturday afternoon we grabbed a cheap hotel room just outside of Asheville, NC and I used the UQ as my blanket because i love the soft interior fabric so much I woke up a bit sweaty!
    'I Want to See Mountains Again, Gandalf!'

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I just ordered one myself to give it a try. The winter version I got claims to be good down for 10°-20° F, if so its a great option. I also just ordered this, the brand is Subito : http://www.ebay.com/itm/132041209552 . For $28 im sure its not the best quality but if it takes the chill off on a cool summer night I'll be happy. Its on the slow boat from China lol, so when I get it I'll do a video review of it and the OneTigris UQ's . It seems like a lot of newer members have been asking about cheap UQ options as of late. And while I would much rather see someone buy from a cottage vendor and get good quality American made gear to getsupport a small business, I understand that sometimes its just not it the budget and you just want to get out and hang. That being said, if these 2 quilts are actually worth it and after I use them I feel comfortable recommending either if someone asks, I will always and have always recommend a cottage vendors quilt as well that's close to the price range they are looking at. After chatting with 4x4, it sounds like the OneTigris UQ might actually be worth it and be a good budget UQ. Now the cheap Chinese so-called UQ is another story. But for $28 and free shipping, we'll see in a month when the boat finally get here lol! I tried to google Subito UQ and didn't get any results, so I doubt this thing has ever even been used by a serious hammocker before lol.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Alot of these budget quilts look promising and when i was first starting out i was very budget minded and tried one simular type of quilt.
    Then i tried another and after awhile i realized that if i had just saved up and went with a quality quilt set up from the start i would have actually saved money, instead i ended up spending almost twice as much and having a room full of gear that i cannot use or sell.
    In the hammock gear department i truly believe that you get what you pay for, we have excellant top notch cottage venders here and imo they deserve our support, besides, you wont get better gear anywhere else that will give you the piece of mind that comes from qualiy gear builders like we have here.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I totally agree with you Zilla. Saving up for good quality cottage gear is always the best option. You get gear that is going to last and preform at extreme levels when needed. What I was saying was that if someone wants to go the other way, despite our advice to support a cottage vendor, I want to be able to at least recommend something that isn't a total waste of money ya know? I kinda did the same thing you did and now I have more gear than I'll ever need lol. Or maybe someone just wants to use it in their yard and not hike or camp, or doesn't want to spend on something that is only going to get used a handful of times. I think inexpensive gear has its place, but for any type of use other than what I just listed, cottage made should always be recommend first for its obvious advantages. I seriously doubt the $28 China knock off UQ is worth it, but if it is by some miracle, I'll use it till it falls apart here at home , and save my nice, light, cottage gear for the trail ya know? Lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast