HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Adjusting the primary suspension...

Incubator 40*, Standard length...

With the s-biners over the hammock CL, the quilt hangs a bit lower than I would like it to. It tends to drop down behind my left shoulder (standard lay) when I turn, and I think it needs a little more tension on the primary suspension. I was surprised that there isn't a cord lock or other means of adjusting the primary suspension. I will likely add a cord lock to tighten the shock cord, and finish with a half hitch to be sure it doesn't slip, but I am curious whether mine is missing the adjustment or what...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nope...a half hitch will do it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    That's what I thought Shug.. Watched this vid a while ago..
    Thanks!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Half-Wit by Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Cuben with Door
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Another option is to tie prusicks on Each end of the hammock and attach the s-binders to them so you can adjust to your liking.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Incubator 40*, Standard length...
    It tends to drop down behind my left shoulder (standard lay) when I turn, ...
    If it's only your left shoulder, why doesn't tightening the secondary suspension fix it?
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow and DH Free Bird
    Tarp
    HG Hex and UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 and 40
    Suspension
    Clinch Buckle
    Does it not compress the down when you have the quilt lift the hammock? I always have to keep my quilt on loose to stop my butt from compressing the down. But I could be doing it wrong because UGQ (my quilt maker) recommends the same.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muraaby View Post
    Does it not compress the down when you have the quilt lift the hammock? I always have to keep my quilt on loose to stop my butt from compressing the down. But I could be doing it wrong because UGQ (my quilt maker) recommends the same.
    I'm not sure where you saw they recommend having the quilt loose?? UQ's are differentially cut to avoid compression. Find their video, or Shug's, on setting up an UQ for help.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I'm not sure where you saw they recommend having the quilt loose?? UQ's are differentially cut to avoid compression. Find their video, or Shug's, on setting up an UQ for help.
    While this is essentially true the super light weight fabrics make thus hard in reality. I remember watching a leigh lo quilt video talking about this exact thing. In theory yes, but in reality no. It helps but it's easy to compress a differential cut UQ. Having the periphery shock cord too tight can actually pull the outer layer up while along side the hammock while the inner frictions on the inside.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow and DH Free Bird
    Tarp
    HG Hex and UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 and 40
    Suspension
    Clinch Buckle
    UGQ recommends the suspension tight, I am the one who can't figure out how to have the suspension tight and the quilt not compressed.

While this is essentially true the super light weight fabrics make thus hard in reality. I remember watching a leigh lo quilt video talking about this exact thing. In theory yes, but in reality no. It helps but it's easy to compress a differential cut UQ. Having the periphery shock cord too tight can actually pull the outer layer up while along side the hammock while the inner frictions on the inside.
    This has been my experience. My 20 degree quilt should have a 2.5 inch loft. When it is pressed up tightly against my hammock I can reach down under my butt and compress the rest, usually there is only an inch maybe an inch and a half at best left. It is also true of any high pressure point where their is a lot of force up against the quilt. (Shoulders for example). The only solution I have found is to use the triangle things to pull the quilt upwards and not outwards. But even then its hard to get a nice seal without compressing the quilt too much.

However maybe compressing the down isnt as big of a deal as i think it is?

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Well, my quilts are definitely not loose and I've had them at or slightly below their ratings wearing no more than a fleece base layer. If there is some compression it's not enough to affect performance.

While setting up my quilts, and helping others do the same, I have yet to see the primary suspension too tight. Even with the hammock lifted up parallel with the RL a tug on the shock cord results in an "ooh that's warm" or similar comment. Followed by an "I slept really warm last night" in the morning. But I'm probably compressing down, for the differential cut on the quilt....

I used to use triangle thingies with my incubators, but found them unnecessary....even with the old style suspension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast