Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Can't fall sleep

When I started, i slept less hours but still woke up feeling refreshed and not in pain from sleeping on the hard ground.
    After that, I stopped counting the hours slept, which probably helped me sleep more hours.

Hammock
    NX - 250, WBBB XLC, Grand Trunk SBP
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    whoopie sllings
    Images
    Whiskey helps..

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    As Shug says, we all can't like hammock so sleep your own sleep. If you like a tent and sleep well in a tent then by all means go with a tent. We all know if you are hiking/camping the last thing we want is no sleep or a lack of sleep or you tend to not like camping and finally quit. You can recoup most of your money if you bought good gear and it appears you did.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Don't give up! I had the same experiences like most of the comments before. The one for sure that you will eventually realize is the REAL rest that comes from the hammock, I can't recall ever waking up with my back in pain like I did on the ground. Stick with it a while longer, you may be pleased.

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Where are you sleeping? Are you scared of something? Is it the gentle motion? If you can sleep in a tent but not in a hammock those are the 2 most logical issues. Or maybe you are trying it in a urban setting?

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    Thanks everyone for their input. One of my last outings with the hammock, I hiked 9 miles and felt for sure that I was going to pass out in my hammock that night, but once again I stared at the netting all night. I know I slept a few times because I woke myself up snoring! :-) I'll keep on keeping on.
    I live in the country and so I really don't hear any noises at night and I even have the luxury of owing a large barn that I can hang in whenever I want. I guess maybe I should stop feeling sorry for myself and just sleep in it more and stop trying to find a quick and easy fix......then maybe something magical will happen.
    Thanks again!!!

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Almost wish I had his issue, I sleep so deep and so long that I feel a little embarrassed when the other guys call me sleepy head.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    I forgot to mention.....on the Warbonnet (and probably others too) there are side bungee tie outs that I use and that does stop the hammock from swinging around. I tried not using them and there was no way I was going to sleep with that side to side motion! I probably would have gotten sick instead!

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Truth be told... I never would have tried hammock camping if I could sleep in a tent on an air mattress.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Mark, I had the exact same problem and I've been hanging for years. No matter what gathered end or bridge I tried I just could not sleep well during the night. A couple hours then I'm awake, couple hours than awake. I was perfectly comfortable, loved being off the ground so I just dealt with it for the last 8 years. As others said I felt great in the morning but I just hated there laying awake at night trying to get back to sleep. I don't know if it's because I'm a side / stomach sleeper and when I move I wake up or as someone said the inner ear thing. I find the swinging action soothing so I know that wasn't it. I live in the woods so I know it's not the change of environment and I feel more at ease in the deeps woods than I do at town. I borrowed a friends Amok Draumr just on a whim and bam, changed everything. Slept straight through. Something about the way I sleep demands the rigidness of a pad. Picked up one immediately on their end of year clearance deal. I should have clued into it because I had the same experience, when tenting with my wife no issues, sleep through the night. I'm not saying your only answer is to go spend a bunch of money on another setup, just sharing my experience with the same issue. I greatly appreciate an underquilt being the superior setup for a gathered end, I wouldn't even begin to try to use a pad in a GE it's a nightmare so (for me) thankfully another option was invented that just speaks to my body. It needs that "plank" to sleep on.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast