Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles

Can't fall sleep

Ok...here's my short version of a long story....I can't fall asleep and stay asleep in my hammock!
    I have a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC hammock a Wookie UQ a Mamba TQ and a Superfly. I am very comfortable in my setup! I have a bad back and after even a restless nights sleep,
    I get up and feel great. I just can't fall asleep and stay asleep!!! I'm sure I do sleep from time to time, but it just never seems to be for a very long time.
    As an experiment...I bought a Thermarest mattress and spent the night in a tent in my backyard. I fell asleep, got up to pee then fell back asleep! Why can't I do that in my hammock!!!
    I've even tried ear plugs as a last desperate attempt. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to give up on the hammock thing, sell it and buy a tent.
    Thing is, that I've spent almost $1000 on this setup and I want this to work. I did borrow a co-workers Blackbird hammock and spent the weekend in it first before dropping coin on mine. Sure I didn't fall asleep in his hammock either, but I figured that it was just because it was a new experience and it wasn't mine. If maybe I had my own, then maybe I'd feel more comfortable and fall asleep....hasn't happened. HELP!!!!!! Please......

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is a new experience for you. Take it backpacking for a couple of nights. Walk miles. Bet you will sleep then.
    If not, well maybe hammocks aren't going to work for you. They don't for everyone.
    What your experiencing is fairly common to new hammockers.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Since you are comfortable, chances are you will sleep. If it's not fear of the noises, etc in the outdoors (very common), then focusing on slow, steady, full breathing helps a lot. In through the nose, out through the mouth. And I don't mean just doing it, but make it the focal point of your thoughts while doing it.

Images
    My own theory on this issue is movement while hanging. Our inter ear detects the slightest movement. It is how we keep our balance. It's what tells our brain we are falling.
    In a bed or tent we are completely still and the inter ear is quiet and reporting no movement to the brain. In a hammock I can feel my hammock moving from my heart beat.

Try using your hammock tie out to try and stop the swinging.
    You can train you mind to ignore this movement simple by sleeping in your hammock a lot. Use what ever you have, back porch basement garage...

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    I'll second what the Master has written...it is a new experience and does take time to adjust.

I'll add that it seems when first trying to sleep in a hammock folks tend to focus on sleep so much that they can't fall asleep...essentially "psyching themselves out." Add to that, "Sounds like everyone else can do it, why can't l?" Then frustration sets in and sleep is restless at best.

That's why the other advice of going on a hike first works so well. Exhaustion beats out thinking about sleeping and your body/mind just figure it out for you...sounds odd I know. Please note that while I really do hold a masters degree in psychology, I'm not a "new age" crystal wielding "mind/body/meditation" guy but rather one with a serious focus on science, cognitive function, brain chemistry etc. The focus on sleep disrupts sleep conundrum does have scientific merit. Just saying.

For what it is worth it took me a decent bit of time to get a good nights sleep in a hammock. I often thought that the folks round here must be nuts and I was ready to quit the whole thing. Then, one night it happened I slept and slept well! Now I sleep in a hammock in my basement 99% of the time. (20 years of marriage did help with that I'll admit).

Stick with it a while....hike, read a book, go to your happy place....let sleep happen.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    In the beginning it was difficult for me to achieve good sleep in the hammock. It was a new experience for my human body and senses. Now I achieve sleep quicker and longer than before. It takes time.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Try sleeping indoors at home.
    It will allow you to mentally and physically acclimatize to the hammock. It is a learning curve for some. The idea of some thin fabric and rope holding you up all night is different than what we normally experience, like big mattresses and heavy blankets. Hanging in your house will be more comfortable (i.e., not out in nature) and provide an opportunity to tweak your system.
    Not all tweaks work for all people, adjust to your needs. I suggest a few short indoor naps, kinda like baby steps... It may be the key for you to set up a new hammock routine at slumber time?

If you still find the hammock the problem at home, then its not your cup o' tea. You can always sell the gear.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I had a hard time in the beginning to. I just kept trying and now I can sleep in it no problem and really really enjoy sleeping in it. I think it is odd to learn to love something but once you have it's hard to go back.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I sleep great when I'm out backpacking or even camping at a local campground but when ever I try and sleep in my own backyard I don't sleep well at all. Too many road noises that I never feel comfortable enough to get a good nights sleep. Try going to a local campground and test it out get there early set up and then go on some hikes and then try to sleep in the hammock.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Images
    I don't sleep in a hammock. However I don't sleep in my own bed either. To me it is the difference between not sleeping on the ground and feeling run over by a truck in the morning OR not sleeping in a hammock and feeling half decent in the morning. Plus I get to watch the stars some nights.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast