ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

Replacing ENO ProFly

I am getting geared up for a weeklong trip next week, so I pulled out my ProFly to check the seam sealing. I haven't used it in over a year, so I had forgotten that it's ripped where the ridgeline attaches. I think I can use it for this trip with a little sewing and the judicious application of Gorilla tape, but it's going to need to be replaced.

I don't have the money now for the JrB I really want, and likely won't for a while. Should I:

1. DIY the "perfect" tarp (I can buy the SilNylon in the color I want for about $55, or less if I shop around -- that was just the first site I googled). I can't sew, but want to learn.
    2. Kelty Noah's Tarp 12. I think I'd rather have a hex for the coverage in wind, but I'll entertain this as a stepping stone.
    3. ENO DryFly. I already own one for the other hammock, and like it just fine. Maybe a bit shorter than I'd like, but easy for me to set up and take down. (Note I can't use it on this trip because I loaned it to my brother, who is coming with me.)

I'm drawn to options 1 and 3, and the deciding factor is how difficult it is to work with silnylon. If it's like burlap in that it's hard to keep a straight seam, I'm going to just buy one rather than try to learn how to sew on a difficult material. If it's fairly straightforward, I may just take a chance. But I'd love to hear your opinion.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Either one of the options should cover you just fine. Do you have time to get the material and make your own?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    For a about $40 more than what the ENO dryfly cost on Amazon ($79.99) you can get a tarp from tarp from https://www.simplylightdesigns.com that's bigger than the ENO and probably lighter also. Not sure what you budget is though but Jared usually ships his tarps out within 24 hours if he has the material in stock. Not sure with your deadline I would try and make one if you never done it before, because if you mess up you would be without a tarp and maybe without the extra money to buy another one. Just my thoughts
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Regarding the Kelty Noah's 12- It's a lot of tarp for a single hanger. However, it is very versatile as far as hanging configurations (you can even mimic a "hex" hang with the doors folded back), you will have a lot of space underneath, and the thing is virtually bomb proof.

It is also heavier than a lot of tarps, so if you're a gram counter this one probably isn't for you.

I have one and I love it, but I got it for both my wife and I to hang double under. If I were going solo, unless I was expecting some really foul weather, I would probably pick something smaller and lighter.

Good luck!

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    For a about $40 more than what the ENO dryfly cost on Amazon ($79.99) you can get a tarp from tarp from https://www.simplylightdesigns.com that's bigger than the ENO and probably lighter also. Not sure what you budget is though but Jared usually ships his tarps out within 24 hours if he has the material in stock. Not sure with your deadline I would try and make one if you never done it before, because if you mess up you would be without a tarp and maybe without the extra money to buy another one. Just my thoughts
    I can limp through this trip with some Gorilla tape and a couple stitches. The next time I'll use it, assuming there's a threat of rain, will be car camping in early March (so I can use a Walmart blue tarp if need be). I will check out SLD, though!

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Regarding the Kelty Noah's 12- It's a lot of tarp for a single hanger. However, it is very versatile as far as hanging configurations (you can even mimic a "hex" hang with the doors folded back), you will have a lot of space underneath, and the thing is virtually bomb proof.

It is also heavier than a lot of tarps, so if you're a gram counter this one probably isn't for you.

I have one and I love it, but I got it for both my wife and I to hang double under. If I were going solo, unless I was expecting some really foul weather, I would probably pick something smaller and lighter.

Good luck!
    I am trying to cut weight, so that's a good point. I prefer a lot of coverage, but I mostly use it when backpacking. I can use a large poly tarp when car camping, since weight isn't a factor. So I'll scratch the Kelty from the list now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you can afford $55 you can save a bit more and for $95 you can get a Warbonnet Edge or Wilderness Logics Tadpole. Either would be lighter than the ENO offerings.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Simply Light Designs' offerings and Wilderness Logistics' Tadpole have caught my eye. That's probably the direction I'll go in. Later on I may DIY a larger tarp for car camping, just for the experience in doing so.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Replacing ENO ProFly

I really like dutch's wide asym tarp. If you want to DIY, you can get everything you need for $40 plus shipping. this is a pretty easy project. no seams to seal, and it seems to have better coverage than the average asym tarp.

http://www.makeyourgear.com/kits-and-patterns/kits/wide-asym-tarp-kit/

• + New Posts