ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

What did the Kickstarter Kick off?

I have been off the side of the internet where hammockers hang for about year or two since and am coming back on this recently and it sure is a very interesting time to get connected back to the hammock community online.

Reading the posts and seeing all the usual Youtubers promote the new Dutch hammock and reading the comments (I know you should NEVER read the comments...I live life on the edge). I get the feeling that war is about to break out between some DH and Dutch fans.

I have not see any of Dutch's hammocks or laid in one so I will not comment but I've been in a few Dream Hammocks before at regional hangs. They were nice. I'm sure the Dutch's hammock will be nice as well.

Based on my unique perspective of returning recently to this site and others...my take on it is that Dutch's new hammock seems to be really polarizing some of the hammock community. It seems some people like this hammock and are ready to defend it without ever laying in it and on the opposite end of the coin there seems a number of people who pointing out it's a copy-cat of DH without having seen Dutch's hammock in person. Without seeing them side by side it's unfair to make one claim or another.

It's true that both Randy and Dutch have undeniably helped grow the hammock community over the years and each has people that are loyal to them and willing to stand up for them.

My concern is that this Kickstarter has begun to create riffs among a few people who ultimately want to just hang and have a good lay. Hopefully this kickstarter has not started a riff among hammock lovers. As someone who is in the market for such hammock I would like to see some actual side by side reviews DH and Dutch's rather than some of the speculation I've seen recently.

Remember lets get out there and hang.

Personally, I don't care what you hang (Dutch, Dream Hammock, Hennessy, ENO, Woot or DIY) as long as you enjoy your lay.

Just get out there between the trees!
    Last edited by matthew2000tx; 01-20-2017 at 00:10.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I dont think so only people talking about a rift will start one.

There are a lot of hammocks out there commercial and diy like my own with zipped bug nets and windshields and not just usa but all around the world.

I dont see any rift at all, people are free to buy what they want and like. There is enough differences in all the offerings to give choice to the consumers.

There will be many many more zipped bug net and windshield hammock that will come to the market from all sorts of manufactures going forward.

Many of the features started in the diy community before they inspire commercial versions.

Competition is great as it pushes you to continue to innovate and stay ahead of the game. All patents and copyright tools are completely useless in industry the only way to succeed is to continuously change, adapt, innovate and deliver. Stand still and you go extinct.

I hope to show a new hammock soon i am working on, that again will have some brand new features should be fun.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    #firstworldproblems
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

I agree. There are no original hammocks (totally original). There are innovations. The new zippers are super cool. But to say original is tough. Here is an example. Alex has been making these for some time. Add a zipper on each side and it becomes something different? Not really but still a variation.
    Everyone should relax and enjoy the gear that's available.

Last edited by Firesong; 01-20-2017 at 07:45.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

I think it's great that we consumers have options.
    Think of it like buying a new vehicle. Chevy, Toyota, and Volkswagen all sell cars that all drive us to work. the brands just have different features that maybe attractive to some.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Freedom to choose. A celebration of good ol' American Ingenuity. Opportunity to support cottage vendors.

Choosing my own hang for my short, tall, lumpy, smooth, fat, skinny, wrinkly, achy, athletic and/or potato-y body.

And if I don't like my cottage vendor hang, I can turn around and sell it on the forum for nearly list price. What's not to love?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will add.....
    Seems most hammocks are related in design. You lay in them between trees.
    All the vendors that sell hammocks did not invent hammocks.
    Add what spices you want and change it up enough to have a bit of your style.
    Seems none of the established vendors are going broke doing it. They all actually seem to thrive actually.
    Look at hamburgers. All a burger. Just different stuff on them.
    It is good for all of us.
    You could say that everyone copied Ed Speer and Hennessy, Clark. Nets, covers, snakeskins, pull outs, zippers.....the whole magilla.

I actually invented hammocks.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Since we are talking about the origins of hammock design, I am reminded that hammocks are rooted in Amerindian design, and the word "hammock" is based on the Taino word "hamaka". I won't forget that these awesome people with their neat hammock ideas were victims of enslavement and genocide. While we are enjoying our fun time in the woods, I won't forget that we are doing so from a position of historic privilege that is intertwined with a history of violence. Everyone is copying. Innovation on these designs is in my view a sign of respect for the people who thought this whole thing up. I would like to think that if time travel were possible, people of the past would think modern hammocks were cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjkih89 View Post
    I absolutely hate kickstarters and I never support anything on them anymore. This community is getting bigger than ever and we are now seeing successful members that we have supported getting bigger and giving their equipment to popular members for an "Honest review" just like Amazon pulled. I can't stand it.
    I was here on HF in the early days.
    It is like a small town that grew and grew.
    Like anything it grows and changes.
    You may not like the reviews or looky-sees but many want them.
    I now as someone who often gets offered gear to show that if it is sub par....I won't waste time doing a video on it.
    Not saying I don't respect your opinion. Forums are about discussing opinions.
    Personally I am not a fan of Kickstarter either but it seems to be a new business model.
    Dutch's is the only one I have ever supported as he has done a lot for the hammock community and continues to so I stood by him.
    I want him to have good success with a product made in USA.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Man I've been all over the interwebs and had no idea there was a rift adrift. I wonder if this is one trying to happen here? I like hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast