Gathered end 11 ft tafetta
    Tarp
    Hex cat cut 11 ft
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    whoopie

Tarp is measured and cut...

I was pondering over where I would spread out and measure and cut my tarp material. The perfect place turned out to be my workplace!

I worked until the end of the day yesterday and after everyone was gone I dragged out my material, ruler, scissors, etc. and used a conference room. The tables were configured just right to accommodate the width of the material. After cutting, I spread each piece on the floor outside of the room to take a look at the result, and to stack one on the other to see how they matched, and they were equal -- relief!

I bought one of those washable white fabric marking pencils to make my lines. I was going to use a sharpie, but when I saw someone use a white pencil online I figured it would be safer than using a permanent marker. I still measured twice (three times) and cut once.

I want to sew tonight but I have a cold that is kicking me, and am being patient.

Granville

0118171944-00.jpg

0118172137-00.jpg

I have the same problem trying to work out where to cut mine when I order it. How did you trace your cat outlines.

Hammock
    Gathered end 11 ft tafetta
    Tarp
    Hex cat cut 11 ft
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I made my template from cardboard, hanging a string 7.5 feet apart until it was 3" down. It was a bit difficult to keep the template still on the material because it is very slippery. I used a white pencil (water washable) that I picked up in a fabric store. I was afraid to use a permanent marker, even though I re-measured my marks a couple of times.

I probably should have used something better than cardboard, perhaps like a piece of Masonite or a board, so it would hold the material down better and make it easier to trace.

One thing that I didn't anticipate was when I moved the template to the side edges, which are shorter than the bottom, I had to move the template backwards until the edges of the template reached the line. This resulted in the cat cut being reduced to about 1.5" on the sides rather than 3" like the bottom. When I spread the cut pieces on the floor the side cat cuts look good, just less pronounced than on the bottom.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Thanks for sharing your process so far. I'm looking forward to starting some DIY projects myself. Hope to see the progress of your tarp.

Hammock
    DIY UL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY UL Winter12
    Suspension
    Slings
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Awesome idea, that's why i wont tackle a tarp yet, i dont have the room.
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

• + New Posts