Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is 20 degree bag enough

I'm headed out this weekend for 2 nights. Temps are expected to drop to 23 degrees. I have a Wiggy's 25 degree bag and a Warbonnet outdoors yeti under quilt also a 20 degree rating. I'm a warm sleeper so with the addition of some hand warmers thrown into the sleeping bag will my 20 degree bag be "enough" to stay comfortable? I made a mistake in the thread title, My sleeping bag is actually a 25 degree bag.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It "should" be enough to get by if you are a warm sleeper and you have a good tarp to block any wind. It's always a good idea to backyard test your gear so you know.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    As long as the bag has a comfort rating of 20 degrees, you'll be fine.

Some bags list a 20 degree rating, while having a real comfort rating of 30 or so.

The yeti should work just fine at those temps. The hand warmers won't put out much heat, but the old "hot water bottle" trick cabn really help. Heat up some water to almost boiling. Put in a Nalgene bottle, and then out the bottle inside an old wool sock. It'll put out heat for hours.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Do you have a down jacket? Are you taking it? If you lie that on your torso area that's almost like gaining another 20° rating, depending on how thick it is. With another 2-3" of loft on you...that's a lot. But only for that area it's covering, obviously. But since you're only flirting with the low rating, I think it would be fine.

I am taking a down jacket and had planned to put it on top of the sleeping bag. I guess I'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Do you have a down jacket? Are you taking it? If you lie that on your torso area that's almost like gaining another 20° rating, depending on how thick it is. With another 2-3" of loft on you...that's a lot. But only for that area it's covering, obviously. But since you're only flirting with the low rating, I think it would be fine.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jharpphoto View Post
    I am taking a down jacket and had planned to put it on top of the sleeping bag. I guess I'll be ok.
    I like to put it inside so it doesn't slide around...but I'm sure you'll find out what works best real quick.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yes, your insulation should be sufficient to retard enough heat loss to keep that equation in balance. But to get comfort out of the insulation, you have to get it warm. Minimize clothing, do what you can to generate body heat, and I think a few hard warmers scattered around will help.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Yeti should keep you warm enough, it is tried and true. The sleeping bag, as others have mentioned, SHOULD work, just depends on if the 25* is the comfort rating, or the survival rating. Eat something before you go to bed (a snickers bar, or something else calorie dense) to get your metabolism going, or have a hot cocoa to warm you up before nesting down for the night. As Shug always says, the key to staying warm at night is going to bed warm.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Turn your jacket around and wear it backwards unzipped, this will keep it in place and really help hold in the heat without compressing it. And like already mentioned hot chocolate and candy helps a lot, a stiff drink will to for that matter;<)
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    a stiff drink will to for that matter;<)
    I'm sure this was meant in jest, but alcohol actually has the opposite effect of keeping you warm. Just thought this disclaimer should be put out there.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast