Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    This looks promising.......
    2 pounds.
    $170

Shug

http://www.klymit.com/insulated-hammock-v.html
    Thanks Shug. I like it but me thinks keeping it in the same place for us restless sleepers might be difficult. They need to offer a hammock with the pad pocket like the one I made...

attachment.jpeg
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeslinger View Post
    Anyone know what kind of temps this could take you down too, and how this might compare to a Synthetic underquilt with 6.0 Apex? Just interested why someone would look towards a pad vs. a synthetic under quilt for roughly the same price? I'm looking into different options for insulation for my kid's hammock set ups.
    My Insulated V has taken me to 30f
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeslinger View Post
    Anyone know what kind of temps this could take you down too, and how this might compare to a Synthetic underquilt with 6.0 Apex? Just interested why someone would look towards a pad vs. a synthetic under quilt for roughly the same price? I'm looking into different options for insulation for my kid's hammock set ups.
    Can't help you on the Apex.. after 3.6 I switch to down. But I can tell you that 6.0 of CS Apex is 4.92 CLO which is 4.33R so in the lab at least... that's how you compare apex to R-value.
    By that measure- brand spanking new they should be comparable- but one reason I don't use Apex any more is it tends to break down and lose a few degrees over time.
    Synthetics are great in the summer, but around 30* I switch to down. (this is coming from a guy who sells synthetic quilts BTW)

As fer pad vs Synthetic Apex... I work with Primaloft Gold now which packs about the same as down.
    All these pads would be at least half if not even a full 1/4 the size of a 6.0 CS UQ as far as pack size and may even be comparable in weight.
    A quick peak at a full length 6.0 apex from a common vendor lists 32 ounces... the exped double I posted above is well under that for example and about the same price.

While I won't make any arguments generally (especially here) about having to go to ground... there are times when it's nice to have the ability and some trips it may be required.
    So even if you're a fairly dedicated hanger then a pad may still end up in your pack. Even car camping in my area it's not uncommon to find a ban or stay at a state park site without trees to hang.

If you're just jumping in or not quite sure and still have one foot on the ground and one in the air... a pad works for either, an UQ only works for one... so until you've fully committed a pad is a safe bet for a beginner.
    If you're really talking cost- hard to beat refletix or a blue foamy. And if you're really talking ideal- not sure why you'd waste money on a 6.0 CS when it could be put to a nice 20* down quilt. Taking a quick peek at Enlightened for an easy apples to apples of their UQ... the 20* down is $240, the Apex in 20* is $180.

Also- if it's truly cold- or you happen to get caught on an unseasonably cold night- taking a pad to ground may allow you to pick up a good 20* and make for a warm night.
    So both 30 ish degree options (R4.x pad and 6.0 Apex) and an unexpected 20* night creeps in... you're SOL with the UQ (you could try stuffing some clothes or leaves in it) but with a pad you are probably good to 15 or so.
    Many backpackers report taking the R3.2 Neo Air Xlite into the 20's for example... so for me the pad has that added safety net as well when you're taking a trip at the margins of your gear.

The downside to a pad- you need at least a wide (or some kinda SPE setup) and without a double layer they can cause quite a bit of squirming and frustration to use in a hammock.

Perhaps the biggest upside to a pad... in a few months when folks are gearing up for spring and summer trips...
    You can pick a pad off the shelf at REI or amazon and all the quilt vendors will have 12-16 week lead times!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    R Value of 4.4 so roughly 5º to 20º....depending on user.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH- Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winterdream
    Insulation
    HG 20, UGQ Zep. 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Can't help you on the Apex.. after 3.6 I switch to down. But I can tell you that 6.0 of CS Apex is 4.92 CLO which is 4.33R so in the lab at least... that's how you compare apex to R-value.
    By that measure- brand spanking new they should be comparable- but one reason I don't use Apex any more is it tends to break down and lose a few degrees over time.
    Synthetics are great in the summer, but around 30* I switch to down. (this is coming from a guy who sells synthetic quilts BTW)

As fer pad vs Synthetic Apex... I work with Primaloft Gold now which packs about the same as down.
    All these pads would be at least half if not even a full 1/4 the size of a 6.0 CS UQ as far as pack size and may even be comparable in weight.
    A quick peak at a full length 6.0 apex from a common vendor lists 32 ounces... the exped double I posted above is well under that for example and about the same price.

While I won't make any arguments generally (especially here) about having to go to ground... there are times when it's nice to have the ability and some trips it may be required.
    So even if you're a fairly dedicated hanger then a pad may still end up in your pack. Even car camping in my area it's not uncommon to find a ban or stay at a state park site without trees to hang.

If you're just jumping in or not quite sure and still have one foot on the ground and one in the air... a pad works for either, an UQ only works for one... so until you've fully committed a pad is a safe bet for a beginner.
    If you're really talking cost- hard to beat refletix or a blue foamy. And if you're really talking ideal- not sure why you'd waste money on a 6.0 CS when it could be put to a nice 20* down quilt. Taking a quick peek at Enlightened for an easy apples to apples of their UQ... the 20* down is $240, the Apex in 20* is $180.

Also- if it's truly cold- or you happen to get caught on an unseasonably cold night- taking a pad to ground may allow you to pick up a good 20* and make for a warm night.
    So both 30 ish degree options (R4.x pad and 6.0 Apex) and an unexpected 20* night creeps in... you're SOL with the UQ (you could try stuffing some clothes or leaves in it) but with a pad you are probably good to 15 or so.
    Many backpackers report taking the R3.2 Neo Air Xlite into the 20's for example... so for me the pad has that added safety net as well when you're taking a trip at the margins of your gear.

The downside to a pad- you need at least a wide (or some kinda SPE setup) and without a double layer they can cause quite a bit of squirming and frustration to use in a hammock.

Perhaps the biggest upside to a pad... in a few months when folks are gearing up for spring and summer trips...
    You can pick a pad off the shelf at REI or amazon and all the quilt vendors will have 12-16 week lead times!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    R Value of 4.4 so roughly 5º to 20º....depending on user.
    Shug
    Thanks for the detailed insight. I can't argue with you on the lofty goodness of down, but was curious of what people thought of synthetic quilts vs pads for a cheaper options for kids. Trying to get the boys out without breaking the bank. I appreciate the great feedback! I'll definitely have to consider a pad until I know for sure they are comfortable being in the hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Custom OT Setup
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I am very interested in this pad. I have the STATIC V2 and love it. I would love to try the insulated Hammock version out. We have snow in the forecast coming up!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12