Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Thanks I always enjoy your detailed explanations.
    Thank you, Kroma.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    It would seem though that your ability to stretch out wide in a wide body hammock will thus be limited by the width of the bugnet.
    The less-than-satisfying truth is "yes and no", because although we like to think of gathered-end hammocks as simple rectangular shapes and model them with equal simplicity in our hammock design plans, the fact that hammocks are made of soft, foldable (and in some cases slightly stretchy) fabric makes their real-world geometry in actual application and use extremely complex.

In this case, while it is the length of the hammock body that determines the total perimeter measurement of the folded parallelogram-shaped net/cover, the specific angles of the parallelogram net/cover in turn dictate how (and to what degree) the body of the hammock is constrained when an occupant of a given size is inside, because the acute and obtuse angles angles vary within a broad family of parallelograms that have the same total perimeter measurement, and it is the choice of angles, i.e., the ratio of the long sides to the short sides, that determines the placement of the obtuse vertices of the net, i.e., where the hammock will be tied out (at the corners of the net/cover). Hammocks of different widths, partially constrained by the net depending on the location of its lateral corners, will still behave differently depending upon the width of the body and the size of the occupant, yielding the aforementioned complexity.

Consider two netless hammocks of the same length but different widths. Imagine you hook your index finger over the rolled hem of one long edge just a couple of inches from one gathered end and pull the edge taut, and then you have a friend do the same on the other side at the other gathered end; if you consider the SRL of the hammock to be its long diagonal the two of you have formed a really long, really skinny folded parallelogram shape defined by the perimeter of the hammock body. You would note that your action has barely constrained the hammock at all, and the behavior of the hammock body would be almost the same as if you were not touching it, since your pull-out points are so close to the gathered ends.

If each of you were to then move in concert, sliding your fingers toward the midpoints of the long edges of the hammock body on your respective sides, eventually you would create a folded rhombus (diamond) shape, and in between you would have formed all the possible folded parallelogram shapes with the same total perimeter measurement for a diagonal lay in one direction; if you were to continue sliding past the midpoints to the opposite gathered ends, you would form all of the possible parallelograms for the opposite lay direction. At every point along the edge, if the hammock were to be tie out congruently along a particular vector in 3D space, the hammock body would be constrained slightly differently, with its behavior further modified by it width. Ergo, "yes and no"...

HTH...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-11-2017 at 23:00.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    That's an answer like I would have given if I'd gotten here earlier. I just love the thought experiment approach to explanation. +1 kitsapcowboy
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    That's an answer like I would have given if I'd gotten here earlier. I just love the thought experiment approach to explanation. +1 kitsapcowboy
    Thank you, sir; I am grateful for your kind words and confirmation.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Well we are going to hit the wide option for sure. We are at the halfway point and we only have $40k more to go. We have Hexon 1.6 in wide and we have Green, Grey, Blue, and Orange. Your same accessories and tops will fit. One of the options the Chameleon gives you is all the interchangeable parts. You can have a regular and wide body and then the tops will fit each. So you can have your light weight hammock and your luxurious extra wide hammock and you don't need tops for both. If you purchase a winter to a year from now, it will fit the hammock. If you ruin a part, you can just replace that component. That is why it being
    completely modular is important.
    Saw grey mentioned above but not on the kickstarter page

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberducktodd View Post
    Saw grey mentioned above but not on the kickstarter page
    Sorry, we are out of grey wide fabric.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sorry, we are out of grey wide fabric.
    Any pictures of the Hunter Green? I'm strongly considering (and actually sent a message indicating as such since I'm in the first 100) for a hunter green wide and olive top, with the hopes that those two colors will look natural and blend into the brown of the tarp.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac99 View Post
    Any pictures of the Hunter Green? I'm strongly considering (and actually sent a message indicating as such since I'm in the first 100) for a hunter green wide and olive top, with the hopes that those two colors will look natural and blend into the brown of the tarp.
    I am going to have to get that to you tomorrow. It will be a little while before the survey comes out so we still have time.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am going to have to get that to you tomorrow. It will be a little while before the survey comes out so we still have time.
    Sounds great Dutch, Congrats again on a successful campaign.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac99 View Post
    I too was curious about Hunter Green. I Googled it and found some sites that show what it looks like. Granted fabric may be different than paint but it's probably pretty close.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    I too was curious about Hunter Green. I Googled it and found some sites that show what it looks like. Granted fabric may be different than paint but it's probably pretty close.
    Yeah, I did that too, but there were enough shades labeled as "Hunter Green" that I felt better asking from the source.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast