Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    12' UGQ Asym
    Insulation
    HG20 UQ / UGQ30 TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Oh I get it. What would be the advantage of being able to put your head either way?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theck View Post
    Oh I get it. What would be the advantage of being able to put your head either way?
    Some people like to sleep on their left side others on their right side. With this hammock you can lay with your head to the left or right side without having to move the hammock. There are times I wish I could left lay and are times I wish I could right lay. It's all a personal preference you develop the longer you hang.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    well, if you're new to hammocks you might not know which way you naturally migrate in the hammock as far as which side you put your head and feet. the chameleon would be good for that. you can lay in it either way. most folks will naturally lay either head to the left of midline or to the right and your feet toward the opposite side so you are at an angle in the hammock. this allows you to lie flat and not banana shaped with head and feet elevated. it seems most people sleep with their head on the opposite side of their dominant hand. like, if you're right handed, you'll likely have your head on the left so the right side of your body has more room toward the middle of the hammock. that's not a hard rule though. the sparrow is designed so you have it built the way you naturally lay in a hammock, either head left or right.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    12' UGQ Asym
    Insulation
    HG20 UQ / UGQ30 TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I've been laying head left, feet right in my blackbird and think it's quite comfortable. I do get a bit of shoulder squeeze because it's in my basement and I'm limited where and how high it can hang. I've had it out a couple times and still getting a feel for setup but getting there. I'm not sure if changing my angle for me matters really. The problem I'm finding with hammocks vs tents is that there are so many ways to cut it, lengths, widths, etc that you really don't know what you like unless you lay in it. That equates to a lot of money spent finding the right one, like shoes. Tents you pretty much know what you get first glance and by the specs. Maybe that will come the more I get accustomed to hammocks.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I've been laying head left, feet right in my blackbird and think it's quite comfortable. I do get a bit of shoulder squeeze because it's in my basement and I'm limited where and how high it can hang. I've had it out a couple times and still getting a feel for setup but getting there. I'm not sure if changing my angle for me matters really. The problem I'm finding with hammocks vs tents is that there are so many ways to cut it, lengths, widths, etc that you really don't know what you like unless you lay in it. That equates to a lot of money spent finding the right one, like shoes. Tents you pretty much know what you get first glance and by the specs. Maybe that will come the more I get accustomed to hammocks.
    yeah i was a tent guy until a few years ago. now i can't imagine camping in a tent. lol i still have my marmot tent just in case though. something that will help is think about the hammock you have. what would you like different to be more comfortable? if your shoulders feel squeezed, a wider hammock might work for you. that'll give you more room side to side. if your feet are pushed against the end or you don't quite lay flat then a longer hammock might work for you. if you have a regular BB try an XLC. it's a foot longer and has more room inside. I have an WBBB XLC and find it very comfortable. Plenty of head and foot room and no shoulder squeeze. I keep going back to my sparrow though. it's just soooo comfy!! I also have a wb ridge runner bridge hammock. that's the only other hammock i've found that rivals the comfort of my sparrow.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    12' UGQ Asym
    Insulation
    HG20 UQ / UGQ30 TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    yeah i was a tent guy until a few years ago. now i can't imagine camping in a tent. lol i still have my marmot tent just in case though. something that will help is think about the hammock you have. what would you like different to be more comfortable? if your shoulders feel squeezed, a wider hammock might work for you. that'll give you more room side to side. if your feet are pushed against the end or you don't quite lay flat then a longer hammock might work for you. if you have a regular BB try an XLC. it's a foot longer and has more room inside. I have an WBBB XLC and find it very comfortable. Plenty of head and foot room and no shoulder squeeze. I keep going back to my sparrow though. it's just soooo comfy!! I also have a wb ridge runner bridge hammock. that's the only other hammock i've found that rivals the comfort of my sparrow.
    Thanks. I think I need longer and a bit wider. I'm right at the edge of being too boxed in. It's still comfortable and I take naps in it all the time, but it's not exactly as comfortable as I expected from all the hype, ha. I still have tents I'll keep for when I take my son out. I'm sure he would love a hammock too but I can't invest cash right now in a setup for him, ha.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I was needing to upgrade a couple of hammocks around here, so I'm getting one of each. Early Bird complete Chameleon, and DH Sparrow #4812! It will sure feel like Christmas again in the coming weeks!
    Wow that means you can give us a good review of both of them.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My wife demanded Raven for Christmas.

She wanted to in real time switch her lay orientation.

No need to get out and swap the net - and this was my first experience with a dream hammock - it was great

I want to see the chameleon up close but I'm rather underwhelmed after all the hype to be honest...

Still - I want them all and I bet they are all comfy hammocks with unique build qualities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    My wife demanded Raven for Christmas.

She wanted to in real time switch her lay orientation.

No need to get out and swap the net - and this was my first experience with a dream hammock - it was great

I want to see the chameleon up close but I'm rather underwhelmed after all the hype to be honest...

Still - I want them all and I bet they are all comfy hammocks with unique build qualities.

I have a Raven and a Chameleon.
    My only thing about the Raven the zipper orientation. I go head right and theone way zipper pull is wayyyy down at my feet on the right.
    But it is very comfortable.
    I think you should steer clear of the Chameleon if it leaves you Underwhelmed. wink....
    But I sure like it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    The problem I'm finding with hammocks vs tents is that there are so many ways to cut it, lengths, widths, etc that you really don't know what you like unless you lay in it. That equates to a lot of money spent finding the right one, like shoes. Tents you pretty much know what you get first glance and by the specs. Maybe that will come the more I get accustomed to hammocks.
    I think we just have to start from the basics here, and in this case the basics is the amount of comfort. If I sleep more soundly hanging from two trees on a piece of cloth than I do laying on the ground, then I'm going to go for the piece of cloth and then add to it the bells and whistles that make sense to me.

If you try a cheap hammock, and despite some minor nuisances you find that you still sleep better in it than in a tent, then ditch the tent. Get yourself the cheap hammock first and then start building your rig from there. Pretty soon you'll find out what things make it better for you, and when it's time to migrate to a different setup.

Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast