AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Idaho June 1-4 4th Meat and Greet Hang

I am starting to work on the planning for the 4th Annual Meat and Greet Hang here in Idaho. The past 3 years has been a lot of fun to get together when the mountains are warming up and the trails are drying out. The Pot Luck dinner has been amazing every year with lots of excellent food.

This years dates as always is the weekend following Memorial Day weekend....June 1-4 this year.

But we have one problem to resolve over the next few months before this years hang.

Last summers massive Pioneer Wild fire burned through the area we hang in and as such the area is closed to recreation until further notice by the forest service. I do not yet know the condition of the camp site and surrounding area...I am hopeful that it survived and we will be able to return to camp in our spot in the future. But for now we need to find a new location for the 2017 hang. I will be hunting every chance I get for a new spot as soon as the snow starts to melt. I do have a few ideas but I am hoping for any Idaho folks to help us find a new location.

Here is the run down of the basic things I would want for the Meat and Greet hang.
    1. We need reasonably easy access...a place that folks with a low clearance/rental car will not be deterred from driving to.
    2. Plenty of parking, as you all know we had room for at least a dozen vehicles close to the site.
    3. Basic facilities are nice...old spot was right next to the Edna Creek CG and we had use of the restroom and pump well if needed.
    4. Hiking and fishing close by. Again the old spot had trails right out of camp and more within a few minutes drive.
    5. Within a 1-2 hours drive of Boise area. We have a number of folks that drive up after work on Friday Afternoon.

So please help me find a spot...I am considering an area a bit past Sun Valley, as well as close to McCall. A little closer in to Boise would be better but both have trails and lakes close by for day hikes and fishing. However they would also be busier than our previous spot. I could use feed back on if there is a preference of area that would be better for folks. The Sun Valley area location is close to 3 hours drive from Boise, the McCall a bit over 2 hours....my thought is that either would be a good bit longer than the hour - hour 15 that we had previous years.

Moving on from there

Everyone is invited....If your just starting out or a hammock expert or even in a tent wanting to check hammocks out for the first time everyone is welcome!

I will be adding more details as they develop and we find a site.

Pot Luck night will be Saturday night (the 3rd) again so we don't have to rush or delay Fridays dinner for folks that are coming after work.
    Sign up by Copy and pasting from here down and adding your name and contribution to the list:

POT LUCK DINNER
    NAME ---------------------------Plan to bring
    PGibson and Family: Potato Bacon Soup and Corn Bread + Smores Fixings
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My friends and I are far enough away that we would be terrible at helping pick locations, but we are tentatively planning to make the 4-5 hour drive out.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Insaniac99, Sounds good. Hope you can join us.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hi - newbie here and as a hanger, but have really enjoyed the Grandjean Stanley Stomp for motorcycles - beautiful area, reasonably remote, graded dirt road in, nice people at the lodge, lots to do in the area. Hot pools on the river. Just an idea - - -

Hammock
    Raven
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    JRB
    Hello -

This sounds like a great time! I'm new to all this and just starting to piece together gear for hammock camping.
    Blue Lake could serve as an alternate site and is a short drive from the Boise area. The road going in is a washboard road and there were not any clearance issues last trip. It is a short hike in and out, maybe a mile. There are restrooms in the parking area, but it is just you and nature as far as facilities go.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQBandit/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Buckle
    Might be interested in this. Will keep checking in to see where this goes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    ENO Superfly
    Insulation
    ENO Ember 2, Wooki
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I don't have any specific recommendation, but think it could be fun!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jtstoner View Post
    I don't have any specific recommendation, but think it could be fun!

Would be great if you can make it. It's a family friendly event and all are welcome. Right now I am anticipating we will end up near Cascade or McCall this year But I still have a few spots I want to check out once the snow clears out some.

Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    Images
    I'm in Spokane but would like to make it down. I'm out of work but actively seeking so a lot can change by then. Will keep you posted.

Hammock
    P43 Cloudwing
    Tarp
    P43 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    P43 Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Drove up 21 to Lowman today. It appears the fire missed the Edna Creek site. There was still a few feet of snow blocking the road, but it looked okay in that area.
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."
    -Edward Abbey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast