Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs

DIY UQ Suspension

Brand new to hammocks and still building my first rig. Never handled an underquilt but I've researched enough that I think I have a clue. I will be making a full length 20* down UQ. Being full length and fairly light weight, I don't feel the need to do a full side-channel suspension. I plan to just use four corner connections (I guess this would be skipping the usual "primary" suspension and using the common "secondary" suspension as my actual primary). First, any issues with that that I should be aware of?

Second, I have seen the use of UQ pack hooks, such as on dream hammocks. I'll also be making my hammock. Is this something I should add? Does it help hold the UQ closer to the hammock?

Hammock
    DIY UL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY UL Winter12
    Suspension
    Slings
    The channel suspension allows for adjustment of the under quilt, and when using shock cord it seals the sides against the hammock to prevent drafting.

Attaching only the corners may cause drafting and an uneven fit. Just my $.02

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    I will second Pra4sno. Side channels help keep the middle of the hammock snugged up against you without pulling the top and bottom too tight. That said, I would still put in the suspension coming from the corners in addition to the side channels. This is what the HG Incubator does and it works quite well to fine tuning the fit of your UQ to your hammock allowing you to enjoy the full benefit of the quilt.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    You could put the channels in for the sides, but try it without the shock cord. That way you can always add it if you need it. Trying to add the channels after the quilt is done would probably be more difficult. The amount of additional weight should be minimal.

My $0.015 (I'm on a budget.)

mathineer

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    Brand new to hammocks and still building my first rig. Never handled an underquilt but I've researched enough that I think I have a clue. I will be making a full length 20* down UQ. Being full length and fairly light weight, I don't feel the need to do a full side-channel suspension. I plan to just use four corner connections (I guess this would be skipping the usual "primary" suspension and using the common "secondary" suspension as my actual primary). First, any issues with that that I should be aware of?
    AHE does this with the Jarbidge, but it's shorter and perhaps lighter. I have no experience with a Jarbidge. You may find the Clew's thread to be of special interest.

I've made both uq. Suspension styles and by far prefer the channel for the primary suspension with secondary suspension for adjustability.. mainly because the draft situation and if switch hammocks I don't have to re do the suspension lengths

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Sew channels and the attachment at the 4 corners. That way you can decide which you like best. Much easier to put the channels on during the construction rather than adding them on later. I use both methods and both work. I like using the 4 corners on longer trips. That way, the UQ is pretty much already adjusted each night and only needs a tiny bit of tweaking. The channels work better when you are using the quilt on different length hammocks, since it is so easy to adjust. Then you can use your 4-corner attachments to rig up a secondary suspension.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can see me hooking up my JRB Hudson River full length UQ with 4 corner suspension on my BlackBird in the video below. Works real well.
    Hope it gives some insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts