Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images

1.7 ROBIC HAMMOCK anyone?

Who has DIY'd a Robic 1.7 hammock and what do you think of it?
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I have one I've been sleeping in every night since just after Christmas I think.

I like it. It's got very little stretch. I used it at full width, but for my liking, it's too wide. It wouldn't take much to narrow it, but since I'm never going to pack it, I'll live with it.

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies

Got mine. I'm digging it. Not as soft as hexon. Wish it was wider tho.

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyst Död View Post

Got mine. I'm digging it. Not as soft as hexon. Wish it was wider tho.

Did you add the Knotty Mods? Nice lookn hammock
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrm611 View Post
    Did you add the Knotty Mods? Nice lookn hammock
    Thanks.
    Yes sir. Wouldn't own another hammock that doesn't have them.
    They keep me in when the beer wants to push me out lol

I've made one that I'm really happy with, and I'll be making another as soon as I work up the courage to tackle an integrated bugnet. It's got a little more stretch than 1.6 hexon, which I like. The hand feel (?) is not quite as nice as hexon, but still pretty nice. Possibly the best part about this fabric is how easy it is to sew. I highly recommend it.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    In my opinion- best hammock fabric around for anyone over 175lbs. At around there or lighter... Hyper D 1.6 or 1.0 (or hexon if you prefer I suppose) is a bit softer.
    On that note... it's a bit hard to see but there is a right/wrong side (sorta). If you put the fabric on a good surface (countertop or smooth board) you can feel that the ripstop grid is raised slightly on one side. So if you want a bit more grip (like in a bridge or if you're a flipping/squirmer sleeper like me in a GE hammock) then put the grid side to you. If you want a bit smoother feel- then put the grid side away from you.

It is for certain the best bridge hammock fabric I have used- and even though I don't really like GE hammocks I like my 10'6 Robic Hybrid XL quite a bit as have the few other folks I've had try it.

And yes- it is by far the easiest fabric to sew. Even better than Hex 70.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I... it's a bit hard to see but there is a right/wrong side (sorta). If you put the fabric on a good surface (countertop or smooth board) you can feel that the ripstop grid is raised slightly on one side. So if you want a bit more grip (like in a bridge or if you're a flipping/squirmer sleeper like me in a GE hammock) then put the grid side to you. If you want a bit smoother feel- then put the grid side away from you.
    Good points all around, Bill, and I agree with you completely that ROBIC 1.0 is hard to beat as an all-around hammock body fabric.

"A bit hard" is a bit of an understatement regarding discerning the right side from the wrong side, especially in the Dark Olive ROBIC 1.7. Kyle seems to have incorporated into its design a degree of magic which allows two pieces of 1.7 inverted relative to each other to look exactly the same...until right after you see them together, at which point it becomes glaringly obvious that they are not the same side up. I think I spent a full hour last night trying to orient my leftover pieces of 1.7 in the same direction, and all the usual tricks were failing me even in good light. Pulling parallel to the selvage edge did not seem to generate a consistent curl, and even rubbing to feel the ripstop grid seemed inconclusive if I wasn't feeling the fabric across its width.

I need to find a proof positive way to find the right side on this awesome fabric.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Good points all around, Bill, and I agree with you completely that ROBIC 1.0 is hard to beat as an all-around hammock body fabric.

"A bit hard" is a bit of an understatement regarding discerning the right side from the wrong side, especially in the Dark Olive ROBIC 1.7. Kyle seems to have incorporated into its design a degree of magic which allows two pieces of 1.7 inverted relative to each other to look exactly the same...until right after you see them together, at which point it becomes glaringly obvious that they are not the same side up. I think I spent a full hour last night trying to orient my leftover pieces of 1.7 in the same direction, and all the usual tricks were failing me even in good light. Pulling parallel to the selvage edge did not seem to generate a consistent curl, and even rubbing to feel the ripstop grid seemed inconclusive if I wasn't feeling the fabric across its width.

I need to find a proof positive way to find the right side on this awesome fabric.
    The melamine top on my Juki table has proven to be the best surface... I try to go by feel and not let my eyes fool me too much, lol.

For those familiar with RBTR color palette...
    The Hybrid comes in slightly darker/richer IMO. I find it a good thing. Coyote Brown is more of a nice woodland than a Khaki for instance. I dislike orange but the burnt orange is like a fallen leaf and the dark olive comes in very rich. So those three make a very nice "Autumn" type feel.

The charcoal grey however is a very nice silvery color with the hybrid weave and they all "flash" a decent bit more than HyperD which I find pretty neat overall and adds a bit of depth.
    (if you've seen the ripstop grid reflect light before in Hex 70 or HyperD you'll know what I mean by the flash... it's more pronounced I think due to the hybrid weave.)

Sorry Kyle... Still not an Olive Yellow guy though, lol.

Still pushing for a hybrid 1.2(ish)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast