Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images

Any suggestions

I'm going to be ordering a DH very soon, and wanted some input from owners. I have a budget of $250 but want the most bang for my buck. Not sure yet if I will use this yet or my wife. Just want some advise on best options, models, etc. at this price point. I want a vented cover if possible, and the ability to zip it up on the side even if I have to add zippers. Thanks guys.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    With that budget you could either do a 11' single layer sparrow with both bugnet and overcover (the over cover comes vented on the sparrow) with pullouts and UQ hooks that would be 245 without shipping. If you want to do some customization go with either thunderbird or dangerbird (if you want the ability to leave either bugnet or overcover at home go with the thunderbird, if not go with the dangerbird). It's $20 to add the vents to the overcover. There are 4 things I would definitely add to my order if I was going to get a dangerbird or thunderbird:
    1) pullouts (some people don't like them but I like mine)
    2) underquilt hooks
    3) extra zipper on both side so you can have the zipper meet in the middle to open and close (sparrow comes like this and not sure if the hunderbird does or not). I only did on one side and this is the only thing I wish I did different, if I could go back I would add one to both sides.
    4) at least but a gear loop on the head end (I did both ends)

All the other stuff I did on my dangerbird was cosmetic and mine came out to bee around $222 shipped
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    If you're not sure yet on who is using it, you can also consider the Raven as one of the more versatile models. I have the Raven and Sparrow and love both.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Do you and your wife like to lay in the hammock in the same lay direction? This aspect might influence your choice of model, as Comet_Seeker suggested.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    2) underquilt hooks
    3) extra zipper on both side so you can have the zipper meet in the middle to open and close (sparrow comes like this and not sure if the hunderbird does or not). I only did on one side and this is the only thing I wish I did different, if I could go back I would add one to both sides.
    I have an older Thunderbird which is still my favorite hammock to date. I'll second the above statements and share some of my thoughts (forgive me if anything has changed on the hammocks over the last year or so that I may not be aware of).

I've found the underquilt hooks do a great job in keeping my underquilt in the correct position. Wouldn't go without them.

I'm not sure if extra zippers were available on a Thunderbird when I ordered mine, but I wish I had them. I'd love to be able to open my bugnet or topcover from zippers that meet in the middle.

I also wouldn't consider a top cover without the vent. Having this vent has helped with condensation buildup versus covers that I've made myself prior. It doesn't completely eliminate it for me when I've been in sub-freezing temps, but it has helped. The double sided vent wasn't an option when I purchased mine, but I would have definitely gone with it if it had been.

I really like the side tie-outs, but often find myself not using them simply because I get too lazy to bother to set them up. They don't make a huge difference to me personally and I think most of the models you're considering come with them anyway (or used to).

I'm also a storage junkie, so I find the peak shelves and inner pocket that I had added great additions. Between these and a Ridgeline organizer, everything has a place inside my hammock that needs it.

Good luck in your planning. The Smurfs are great to work with and I'm sure you'll love the finished product.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    and perhaps better suggested via PM versus the Dream Hammock sub-forum.
    Whoops sorry....with the Tapatalk app it's not always obvious which forum you're in. Post deleted.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I definitely would like the vented cover, colored zipper hoods, and a ridge line organizer. I'm sure I'll get the tie out hooks and UQ hooks as well. To be honest I want a sparrow, but can't seem to keep it under budget. The Thunderbird doesn't seem to save me much money once you pay for the vented cover. I guess that is making the dangerbird more appealing. I love the look of the Darien, but no overcover. I'm warming to the Raven, but it has lacked eye appeal to me up until now. But comfort is more than looks. As long as it functions.

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The sparrow is a nice hammock. The zippers in the middle are great because I don't have to search up top to open the hammock. Good call on the tie outs and UQ hooks. the UQ hooks are great for me because I move in the hammock sometimes sleeping, side and back. Hooks keep it all in place.

One thing I added was a Gearloop, I recommend it if you can afford the little extra. 4532_2.JPG
    It is nice to pull yourself up in the hammock in the morning when you want to sit up and have breakfast or anytime.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by InfuriatedMax View Post
    The sparrow is a nice hammock. The zippers in the middle are great because I don't have to search up top to open the hammock. Good call on the tie outs and UQ hooks. the UQ hooks are great for me because I move in the hammock sometimes sleeping, side and back. Hooks keep it all in place.

One thing I added was a Gearloop, I recommend it if you can afford the little extra. 4532_2.JPG
    It is nice to pull yourself up in the hammock in the morning when you want to sit up and have breakfast or anytime.
    Does it come with that webbing hand hold? or just the amsteel? Cleaver idea. What other kinds of things are people using the gear loop for?
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    The gearloop is just the amsteel the loop is webbing handle is another add on
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast