Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question First DIY hammock

I just orders 4 yds of 1.1 ripstop. Im gonna make my first real DIY hammock. The others Ive made were just out of bed sheet for my kids. This is 1.1oz breathable dwr coated 4yds × 62" wide ripstop nylon. Im Only 155 lbs, I should be fine with this right? Or do I Need something a little heavier? I also ordered an adjustable RL, whoopies and 8" CL's. Any tips?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    FWIW IMHO I think you will be OK at your weight with a single-layer of standard 1.1 ripstop nylon, although less so if you ever have one of your kids jump in there with you, as mine does. Had I been in your shoes I might have opted for a higher-strength lightweight fabric to make a single-layer hammock body, like RBTR's 1.0 oz ROBIC XL or Dutch Hexon 1.0. That said, your single-layer of standard 1.1 should do the job if sewn, hung, and used with care. I personally prefer to form double-layer triple-stitched end channels on a lightweight SL hammock, but you might consider doing whipped ends instead which should make for a strong connection to the suspension, accelerate your build, and reduce the structural demands for precision in the sewing the thin fabric.

Conversely, for peace of mind, you can always order 4 more yards of the same fabric (or 4 additional yards of something stronger) and make a versatile and bombproof double-layer hammock, which, in many ways, I actually find easier to sew than a single-layer.

HTH. Good luck. It is very rewarding to sleep well that first night in a hammock you made from scratch!
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 01-30-2017 at 11:34.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    You are going for it!!! Awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I can't comment on the durability of your choice but I can offer encouragement! I just did my first hammock kit this past weekend and it came out great. If I can then you can. I also ordered up an adjustable Whoopie ridgeline*, amsteel roll, Dutch hooks, etc from Dutch to make a better suspension then went back to Ripstop by the Roll for the membrane and materials to make a windproof underquilt protector using the plans Winne put out. Should be seen and ready this coming weekend once the arrive.
    Fair warning, once the first one is under your belt the confidence and DIY bug will latch on and you will be hunting up all sorts of things to try.
    Good luck, be patient, and have fun with it!
    *only ridgeline I ever used came with the Hennessey. I have no idea what to expect so its worth it to me to patron Master Dutch for his expertise
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I made a 1.1 oz ripstop hammock from fabric I lucked onto in Walmart's clearance section. I used it all last year without any incidents. It packs really small and weighs almost nothing.

I found I prefer a hammock with less stretch, so I recently made a hexon 1.6 hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 10' Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    Gorilla Fortress
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Incu
    Suspension
    Straps w rings
    Images
    Alright Chesapeake! I've made 2 out of 1.9 from RSBTR. They came out decent enough even with my novice sewing skills. I can't give advice on the strength of the 1.1 but I, like Kitsap said, used a double layer triple stitched end channel. Go for it!
    Lucky me, lucky mud. - Kurt Vonnegut.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I do have 3 yds of the same stuff coming as well. I ordered it first and then realized it wasn't enough lol, so I then ordered the 4yds. Could this be used to somehow bolster the strength? I've also got an adjustable RL, Amsteel CL's, whoopies, RL organizer, double ended stuff sack and clip on quilt hooks all on their way as well. I wanted to focus on sewing the hammock body on this project, and not have to make everything I wanted for it since I'd need to learn and then find the time to make it all. I basically wanna stop using my cheap Walmart Equip double hammock and use this one instead. The equip is OK and all, but the cheap nylon its made from crinkles realy loud and if I use it inside my wife constantly yells at me to stop moving around lol. So, I figured I'd make a replacement myself and take my time on the sewing, and also add a double knotty mod like I did on the equip. The next one I make I will do the whole thing from scratch, make the whoopies, loops, RL, stuff sack... etc etc. But for is one I want it to just be something that I can use inside without waking my wife and daughter up every time I move and use out in my winter hang spot. I have the extra 3 yds to play around with and maybe make a peak bag or a stuff sack or a pillow or something to practice sewing since the only thing I've sewn since 8th grade home economics back in 1993 was my jungle blanket UQ lOK. All tips , advice, criticism and ideas are welcome. Can I use the extra 3 yds on the hammock somehow for a 2nd layer? Or should I just use it to practice sewing and make a few small things first? I like the down pillow idea..
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Nm on the pillow, its uncalendered. Maybe next time.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I'd suggest you re-order the fabric you want for the second layer in the correct 4-yard blank and save the 3-yard section to make a top cover down the road; bank it, and it won't go to waste.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Good idea, thanks cowboy. I think I just might do that. Plus now that I think about it, I know for a fact my 4 yo daughter will most certainly want to lay in it with me. And I doubt she will just lay there perfectly still lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast