sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie

Big boy bridge at hangcon.

I will be at hangcon, and I've been testing a new prototype bridge for big boys. Anyone going to hangcon that wants to check it out and give me feedback, pm me for my number so we can meetup while we are there.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hangcon? A convention for hammock campers or hammock makers or both? And where?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    Hangcon? A convention for hammock campers or hammock makers or both? And where?

Thanks.
    Florida this weekend: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-gt-HANGCON-17
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    HangCon is the largest Hammock hang in the world.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark8408 View Post
    I will be at hangcon, and I've been testing a new prototype bridge for big boys. Anyone going to hangcon that wants to check it out and give me feedback, pm me for my number so we can meetup while we are there.
    that's Bill's right? he was trying t get one out to me for this but he was battling flu so I don't know if it'll make it in time.

post pics!..

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Yes it is bill's bridge. Will get pics up from hangcon this weekend.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    While I'm not in the "big boy" category (yep, still sittin at the kids table for the holidays), I have seen his work and must say I'm impressed with the man and his gear. Things are looking up for this category of hangers!!......and the rest of us too!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Yes it is bill's bridge. Will get pics up from hangcon this weekend.
    Who is Bill? Does he have a store? Website?

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    A "big" thanks to Mark for putting his butt on the line to try this out and for volunteering to show these off at Hangcon! He should hopefully have at least two there but...

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    that's Bill's right? he was trying t get one out to me for this but he was battling flu so I don't know if it'll make it in time.

post pics!..
    As the Secondmouse points out... My family has been very sick and the last week or two were not as productive as I'd hoped. I should be sending one to Mr. Mouse for testing by the end of the month.
    Big Kids Bridge.jpg

And here's a link to a one-drive folder with a dozen or more pictures of the progress if folks are curious.
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg4QfZwGQ-5bFneG5pg

I'm 5'10" and 230lbs, my Son is 4 tall or a hair more, daughter is about 3' tall for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    While I'm not in the "big boy" category (yep, still sittin at the kids table for the holidays), I have seen his work and must say I'm impressed with the man and his gear. Things are looking up for this category of hangers!!......and the rest of us too!
    Thank you Sir! Was great to meet you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Who is Bill? Does he have a store? Website?
    I'm Bill... I do have a company called "Town's End Outdoors" and a website http://thisgearsforyou.com/ but not much to see there as it's a work in progress, I may begin selling some prototypes of hammocks and bridges soon but I am shooting for a springtime opening and hope to offer my Primaloft Gold Top Quilts and UQ for sale as that's been my focus for the last few years and these have been tested thus far by about twenty people around the US and even New Zealand for nearly 500 nights in the field. At this time, I'm working on finding a reliable sewing contractor to produce them. I sew fairly well, but it's hard to beat the quality, consistency and speed of a true professional so I'd like to produce my stuff that way. I have traditionally made stuff for UL Long distance backpackers, a few FKT/Ultra runner types. I got into hammocks just a few years ago and really got into bridges after watching Grizz's counting grams video. I make micro (26" poles), regular (36" pole), and big guy sized bridges as well as several dozen other pieces of gear/prototypes and even at least one hammock design that appear to be brand new.

I have the lightest bridge hammock in the world (9.25 oz including the poles) so a while back when Mark brought up the topic of bridges for bigger guys (300lbs and/or over 6' tall) who exceed the weight ratings of commercial bridges I figured why not make the heaviest bridge too, lol. Although this last prototype came out to 2lbs 4 oz including the poles so not too shabby for a DL gigantic bridge, lol.

I had a design I was kicking around for a 1.5 person luxury bridge to use with my son when backpacking and figured that might convert over. So I looked into it and we started working on it. I made a few different prototypes (single layer Hybrid Robic 1.7 and Hex 70) These make great luxury bridges for 250lbs or so... but we had a minor failure with Mark's at 325lbs (A torn channel but not a drop). I'm not sure how far we can push it... but I'm shooting to hit 350-400lb ratings on these, so back the drawing board and a few prototypes later and a double layer Hybrid 1.7 XL seems to be doing the trick. Mark has spent a few nights in it and thus far me and the kids have piled in just fine.

I had the immense pleasure of meeting Grizz at a group hang two weeks ago and got to pick his brain on some of the issues with this and he was very helpful and encouraging so I'm feeling optimistic about this round of prototypes... but due to the weight I want to try to get the test group up to 5 or more folks and get a good 100 nights or more of testing in before I get ahead of myself.

So... pretty excited about this bridge actually. Both for myself and for guys like Mark who don't have any other options. It's also turning out to be the most comfortable hammock by far for general use as well. My wife is not a hammock person and gets vertigo easily... she's been in probably fifty different prototypes of all types of hammocks with mixed results. Slowly but surely she's warmed up to the idea and she's sold on this one. So "big guy" or "luxury" model it seems ideal either way thus far. The ends are adjustable which makes the bridge adapt well to the user's height, weight, and even sleep position. I have a bad back but find I can belly sleep in this, which is difficult for me even in a bed. There is even enough room in the head end for me to sleep backwards and curl up in a fetal position on that half of the hammock. So from my Wife's 5'4 120lbs to Mark's 6'3" and 325lbs and about a dozen folks in between of all shapes and sizes the design seems to be doing it's job and conforming to the user as I'd hoped.

I have tested several pads in it as well, even the Exped Hyperlight Duo (a double pad) as that's what I intended to use for my son and I and it fits pretty well. A regular 3/4 or 7/8 UQ fits pretty easily, we're still fiddling with adapting a full length UQ. Though for folks who already own pads... a bridge is much more pad friendly than a GE hammock for sure... not to mention kinder on the wallet for those switching over from the ground. The reason I got into bridges is because of the hammocks they fit better with an Appalachian/Long distance style kit a bit better as there are many times that you may want/need the ability to sleep on the ground... like when you use a shelter, stay at a crowded hostel, choose to sleep out on a bald, or even when your hiking partner talks two girls from Switzerland into sleeping with you on a mountain top!

On this latest round of prototypes I was able to actually stand up in the head end and bounce gently. I'm 230lbs. I wanted to try something a bit extreme before I sent it back to Mark! I don't have a great spot to test it personally but I put me and my kids (about 300lbs) in it easily and hope to get it out for some dead load testing in the next few months on sturdier supports. Mainly though it's night's in the field that count for me so that's what I want to get more of, as well as some user feedback. I got about 10 folks locally to try it at the Windy City Winter hang (Thanks!) and hopefully Mark will get a few butts in it an HangCon and ideally we can take that feedback and expand the testing in February.

Sorry for the sales pitch if folks are taking it that way... some people may know me better at Whiteblaze but not as well here so thought I'd chime in. I'm excited about this bridge! I've been camping with the Chicago area hangers for a few seasons now and I was teasing a fella there about how when I first came I brought my micro bridge and he shook his head. Then I brought my medium sized bridge and he got in but still shook his head after he got out. This time he got in the big guy bridge and smiled.

And if for some reason I can't sort out the exact details of putting this into production I will be releasing the plans for others to DIY as I really appreciate all the help I've received here at this community... If I choose to go into production I'll probably give myself a small head start and release the plans either way as this one was a group effort and the original goal remains the same- get some big guys in some bridges.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Although I'm no big boy, I hope to see your business venture develop Bill. Having read lots of your ideas that you've shared and seeing small glimpses of the work, I think you'll meet success whatever the scale of operation that you choose to proceed with.
    Personally I'm very intrigued to see your primaloft quilts after you discussed your extensive work with them in a thread a while back. Plus, I think the bridge hammock market is pretty small currently for the demand that seems to be out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast