Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Intruder - a Cautionary Hammock Tale

What was that sound?

Your eyes dart back and forth as your ears strain to confirm the impending mortal danger. It’s at least 9:48 PM – well past hiker midnight. You sank into the comfort of the hammock a few hours ago after covering at least 1.5 trail miles. Your trip report on Hammock Forums, and your Instagram may, or may not, eventually list that number as 12 miles, but who’s really counting?

There it is again. Was that a Yeti? It had to be a Yeti. If it wasn’t a Yeti, it was most certainly some sort of rabid beast hell-bent on slowly devouring your succulent flesh. Obviously.

Did I hang my bear bag? Can it smell those Pack-it-Gourmet Chicken and Dumplings I had for dinner? Death’s grip tightens around your neck like a noose as you run through every possible scenario. Each one ending in a fantastically gruesome scene more awful than the last.

It’s probably a Yeti. Nevermind that it’s Summer in North Carolina where there hasn’t been a confirmed Yeti sighting for at least 5 or 6 years. Billy Bob saw one a few weeks ago, but ever since he started sleeping in a tent, he can’t be trusted.

Slowly and quietly you prop up on your elbows; your ears picking apart every minute detail like Mozart listening to a symphony. Luckily, your cuben fiber tarp lets in just enough moonlight to survey the immediate surroundings. You contemplate turning on the headlamp, but you’re not 100% ready to give away your location. The enemy might still be unaware of this evening’s hang site. Plus, everyone knows male Yetis are attracted to headlamps. It could be a female. Your research has confirmed that females can’t see the particular light wave emitted by headlamps, but are you really ready to take that chance?

20 feet away a branch snaps. It’s the scariest branch snap in the history of snapping branches. This is it. At some point every man must look death square in the face and victoriously declare, “NOT TODAY!”

You lurch from your hammock managing to simultaneously unzip the integrated bug net, fire up your head lamp, and slide your feet into the Crocs waiting patiently on the ground. Grabbing a collapsible hiking pole you turn, take a knee, and ready yourself to engage the drooling death demon like King Leonidas triumphantly defying the hordes of Xerxes Persian Army.

Time stands still. Your heart races. Condensation from your hot breath clouds the cool night air. Seconds tick by before you can just make out 1, 2, 3 little fluffy baby foxes frolicking their way across the trail.

“Jim, what are you doing?” quizzes Dan’s voice from his Warbonnet hammock just a few feet away.

“Did you fall out of your hammock?” asks Brittany as she rubs her eyes from underneath her top quilt.

“What are you doing with my hiking pole? Are you ok?” your wife inquires.

The two of you were sharing a tree and you must have bumped her hammock during your perfectly executed tactical dismount.

“Did you see those little baby foxes?” She continued rolling to her side and cinching up her quilt. “They were soooooo cute, I just want to snuggle them and kiss their tiny little fox noses to death!”

“I’m fine – just had to pee” you answer dismissively. “Go back to sleep.”

The Yeti may have slipped through your grasp this time, but there's always tomorrow night.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-29-2017 at 20:33.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hilarious!!

Hammock
    TX-270/Sparrow/DIY
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles
    Ha! Great story. Things sound much scarier night. I had an owl screech near me about a month ago that scared me half to death.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Love it...great story telling!
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Funny (in a "I can see how that could happen" sort of way) story and nice looking shirt!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Haha, an all too familiar tale. Nice shirt design as well.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    That never happened

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lol. You all know you've been there!

I remember watching The Blair Witch Project as a teenager. The next morning I went hunting with my dad. Walking to my treestand alone in the pre-dawn darkness, I was more scared than ever in my life. Ha!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    "Slowly and quietly you prop up on your elbows; your ears picking apart every minute detail like Mozart listening to a symphony. Luckily, your cuben fiber tarp lets in just enough moonlight to survey the immediate surroundings."

Mine's not cuben, but this is exactly why I prefer the hammock to the tent! Tactical Advantage.

That Sasquatch can hear you the minute you start to pull the zipper to see outside a tent. And the tent is probably in a clearing, away from tree roots, right out in the middle for the Chupacabra to run right smack in to you. In the hammock, you're hiding between the trees, you can see out without getting out.
    You can peek at the cute foxes and they never know you were there!

Charlotte

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    walkabout fly
    Insulation
    OV 20 UQ or PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That is funny...because there is too much truth in it. Startled to near death by a raccoon who figured my hammock was a perfect back scratcher. My masculine yelling, perhaps it was smallish girl like shrieking, scared the poor raccoon to near death. I can say that night we did not part as friends.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast