Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Indoor hammockers, what do you use for insulation inside?

I have convinced the wife to have hooks for indoor hammocks both as a day-to-day relaxation, but also for saving on guest beds. Clearly I don't want my guests to be cold, but I don't want to have to pull out all my fancy down underquilts, primarily because I don't have (and can't afford) enough, and I want to makes things as simple as possible for the guests.

Here are the bullet points I'm looking to hit:
    • Bottom Insulation (top can easily be standard blankets)
    • Suitable for 60F or higher (likely to be in the 68-74F range)
    • Simple and quick to deploy
    • As minimal fiddle factor as possible -- some guests will be people who have never slept in a hammock and I want them impressed, not weirded out.
    • Inexpensive, think buying for a family of 5, not for one person

What's the ideal set-up here?

Senior Member Wilderness Seeker's Avatar
    Hammock
    SLD TL, AMOK
    Tarp
    SLD TH, WB SF
    Insulation
    JRB GL3,GL4,HSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Indoors you don't have to deal with wind robbing your warmth so I think a light under quilt like a Costco quilt or a Walmart fleece throw would work. The are easy to put together and attach to the bottom of the hammock. Make them full length and they become fiddle free.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I currently use my UGQ UQ, but I agree with Wilderness Seeker in that a Costco quilt would do the trick for a very nice price.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I have used a Costco Down Throw (CDT) as an UQ, and it's great. Just used some Dutchware quilt hangers, so it was very simple to get hung up and adjusted if needed. For indoors, you might not even need to do any seam-ripping with the CDT, just keep it stock.

I currently am using my Sungpak under-blanket for an indoors UQ; mostly because I just received it for Christmas, so it's the newest 'cool thing'.

Images
    Depending on the hammock, standard underquilt may not fit nice. I am using a clew suspension i built for my underquilt to hang under a brazilian hammock. the brazilian is too long and there isn't a ridgeline to help with, so the clew system works good for me.

I've also tried laying blankets in the bottom of the hammock, but mostly all that does is get bunched up and annoying.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I made an underquilt out of old hammocks (they had holes from doggy nibbles) and an old fleece blanket. Just sandwiched the blanket in between layers and used grograin for side channels and lighter ribbon for end channels. It is pretty heavy, but for home use, it doesn't matter. You could also just use a cheap sheet that is wide enough to fold in half and add a light fleece blanket for insulation, then add attachment points on the corners (kinda like Arrowhead does the Jarbridge). Top quilts could just be a sheet with a footbox (usually only my feet get cold in the summer months.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I made a climashield underquilt DIY. It was good practice. Then I made a climashield topquilt to try out the pattern for my new Primaloft quilt. (I wanted to see how small I could make it and it still be enough.) If you use just regular blankets for the topquilt you may want a smallish one since the big ones hang over the side and always fall out. Also, when I was using a regular blanket, it was itchy so I had to also use a sheet. It was all HARD TO CONTROL. Then I started putting the blanket and sheet together on a flat surface and folding the bottom back and forth like a paper fan. Then I tied a rope around the bundle. That kept the sheet and blanket together and made a big ball at the bottom that I could kick into place with my feet. ALL THAT TO SAY, You really want a hammock specific solution if you want easy. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it has to be built to work well.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't think I plan on giving all the hammocks ridgelines. I wonder if there is a heavy duty fabric clip set I could use to just do up as a suspension system (either traditional or clew) and then attach it to whatever blanket, woobie, or comforter I want. Using a shock cord support that is smaller than average, but larger gauge for more stretch perhaps.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I simply created a dogbone that goes from the loops of my Mayan down to the s-biners of the UQ. It is true, I would prefer a wider UQ with it, but the dogbone works well and a longer UQ is not necessary.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Check out this thread. It's what I did when I first started out. Works well for indoor hanging and inexpensive. Tarp clips and some shock cord. I used s biners for quick attachment.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...r-less-than-10

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast