Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it?

Question Is it worth it?

OK...so, I've spent ONE NIGHT in my son's no-name, Christmas present hammock in our back yard at 30F to see if this whole hammock thing is even doable. It was fine. Quite cozy and comfy. I didn't sleep well because I'm not used to that, but I figure I'll get "used to it" after a few times. I also have a tent. It's 17 years old, but still servicable. It's a Kelty Riverbend 2, very lightly used. It's simple. No under quilts, or tarps, or suspensions... Self-contained you know? It's simple. S.I.M.P.L.E.

Hammockers of this forum: Please tell me why I'm spending all of this $$$ trying to get into hammock camping/hiking. Please tell me that it's worth it. I mean...a tent is SIMPLE. The only thing you need is a tent, a pad, and a bag. And all of the various and assundry components required to make a hammock comfortable are taken care of at roughly 1/4 of the cost.

I'm right on the cusp of diving into this hammock thing hard. I don't need much convincing to just take the plunge. But, right now there's still time to retreat to the "safety and simplicity" of a tent. I can send my son's ENO Sub-7 back to REI. I can sell the Dream Hammock Dangerbird I just bought from this forum's market place. And I can get my son a decent tent for next to nothing....

Hanging people: IS IT WORTH IT??
    Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. - C. S. Lewis

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is worth it to me.
    I needed to be re-invigorated in my backpacking and sleep consistantly. Never seemed to sleep more than 5 hours in my tents on pads. I often sleep 10 to 12 hours straight in my hammock.
    It restores my body and I hike stronger as a result.
    You sound dubious....but there are many shortcuts on this site to hammock quest.
    Try the book The Ultimate Hang......http://theultimatehang.com
    Yes, it is not for everybody.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    As a long time camper it was worth it to me. Had a hard time sleeping on the ground as I slowly realize that I'm just simply not as young as I use to be. If you have a tent and setup already and you sleep comfortably, you'd do great staying with that setup. I didn't sleep well on the ground. I sleep as well in my hammock as I do in my bed. Plus, I enjoy relaxing by hanging in my hammock at home. It's a great way to unwind! Good luck deciding! I can think of worse way to spend your money!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Your question can be answered by you only.

Hammocks, despite what some of the more enthusiastic members os this forum would advocate, are not for everyone.

I can say that for me, YES it is unequivocally worth the investment I have made.
    1. It allows me to sleep comfortably.
    2. It has assisted me in talking my wife into sleeping outdoors, and backpacking, camping and hiking with me.
    3. It allows me to sleep comfortably.

Did I mention how comfortable I find my hammock to be?

If you sleep well in your tent and wake up refreshed and ready to go, then perhaps it isn't worth it. If you, like so many of the rest of us, want to get out more, sleep outdoors, and find that hammocks enable you to do that more comfortably, then yes, it is definitely worth it. Good luck with your decision!

Your videos rock, Shug. Thank you. Love the Slingblade stuff. (You've GOT to be from the south, man!)

Johnspenn, of course it's a personal decision...you're right. Good words. Thank you.

And to all three of you: That one night in the hammock WAS (I MUST say) very comfy. Soft...not lumpy. Sway-ey. Nice.

Ok..it's only money. I'm in! (I told you I didn't need much convincing!)
    Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. - C. S. Lewis

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nedT38 View Post
    Your videos rock, Shug. Thank you. Love the Slingblade stuff. (You've GOT to be from the south, man!)

Johnspenn, of course it's a personal decision...you're right. Good words. Thank you.

And to all three of you: That one night in the hammock WAS (I MUST say) very comfy. Soft...not lumpy. Sway-ey. Nice.

Ok..it's only money. I'm in! (I told you I didn't need much convincing!)
    Use pads and sleeping bag. Spend money later. Get a good tarp.
    I grew up in NC.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

SC ringing in. Do you love tents and have expensive tent equipment?, or just standard items. Its a preference. Personally I feel more connected to my surroundings by hanging. In tents I feel like I'm hiding from them.

Images
    Tents are no simpler than hammocks, only more familiar perhaps.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjkih89 View Post
    SC ringing in. Do you love tents and have expensive tent equipment?, or just standard items. Its a preference. Personally I feel more connected to my surroundings by hanging. In tents I feel like I'm hiding from them.
    Great comment! Indeed more a part of it.

Comfort is top of the list for lots of folks that hang. It is well up there for me. But there is more as well. In a hammock every set up is unique. The trees are different, the view is different, the way the breeze moves through the woods is different. In a tent you are cut off so much from all of that. The inside of the tent looks the same every night...looking up through the tent the straps are the same (you don't get to see them) but in a hammock you can go without the tarp on a nice night and watch the sky, get rocked to sleep, on and on. It's the experience.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    In my opinion if you have to ask "is it worth it" you are not ready for the transition from sleeping in the dirt to hanging in fresh air. With all the DIYers around here for help and suggestions you should be able to make a hammock and pull together enough insulation to hang comfortably in three seasons very inexpensively. I think you need to give it your best shot and who knows you may never want to go back to the dirt ever again like many of us.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast