Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Well there you go... Actual field experience trumps theoretical estimates every time...
    I still should have said YMMV. I'm a fairly warm sleeper so I know I've been comfortable in conditions others have woken up complaining in (with seemingly better insulation). I'm one of those weirdos who actually finds that pad more comfortable than sleeping without one in a hammock with just an UQ. I own lots of UQ's but I sleep with a pad as often as without one.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    One interesting thing about "stacking" is that with a pad, it's designed to be compressed under your weight, while compressing quilts will make the insulation less effective. I think that stacking underquilts will compress the inner quilt somewhat, whereas combining a pad and an underquilt will allow both to perform as designed.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    I still should have said YMMV. I'm a fairly warm sleeper so I know I've been comfortable in conditions others have woken up complaining in (with seemingly better insulation). I'm one of those weirdos who actually finds that pad more comfortable than sleeping without one in a hammock with just an UQ. I own lots of UQ's but I sleep with a pad as often as without one.
    You've actually done it, man. That's good enough for me...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have been using a Downmat 7 UL LW alone in a Luke's 90 degree that I only inflate enough to mimic a UQ, i.e. slightly inflated at 32*F. I have also used the same in conjunction with a Arrowhead Ridgecreek 3/4 last night at 25*F in the garage with a WBRR. It worked well. I have the 3/4 UQ, a down converted sleeping bag DIY UQ, a Costco down UQ, the Downmat 7, and an assortment of other pads, e.g. Thermarest prolite 3/4 and CCFs up the wazoo. I like to experiment with different configurations for different circumstances, besides I already own this assortment and am not inclined to spend funds for another UQ when there is SO much more that I have prioritized to be purchased first.

Hammock
    clark tx 270
    Tarp
    hennessy hex 10x12
    Insulation
    E E enigma 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    I use a snugpak underquilt with a klymit static v insulated, was down to around 14 last week and stayed warm. Good luck and happy hanging.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    This is good info. We are planning to do four passes loop in Colorado at the end of august this year. I'm thinking of taking my klymit insulated pad with a 30 degree diy uq for my WBRR. This way I can go to ground if I have to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12