Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ

Store bought hammock stand

I have been hanging my hammocks off of the Jeep and the truck but I wanted something that I could leave up, in place without having to move the vehicles. So I got one of these.
    http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...264-40340-0010

It works well with the Hennesys, the ENO and the Grand Trunk.

But hanging a tarp on it just doesn't work. I got some bugs to work out on that. When all is set up, it looks good, but when ya get in the hammock, there is enough "give" in the rails to loosen up the tarps.

I need to come up some extentions to be able to hang the tarps higher. And I am gonna try some bungi or innertubes to keep the tarps taunt after I get in.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I got the same stand (I think) a while back and made a couple of minor mods to make it work better.

#1: I found that it wasn't high enough for the hammocks I use. My butt would be dragging on the ground. So I bought a couple of 1-1/2" diameter 90-degree electrical conduit bends. I mounted an eye-bolt into one end of each of the pieces. To use, simply put the end of the conduit into the top end of the hammock stand pipe (which is probably 2" diameter). Tie your hammock suspension between the two eye-bolts. This will raise your hammock about 6-8".

#2: Like you, I struggled with the stand flexing more than I wanted whenever I laid in the hammock. So now I pre-tension the hammock stand by stretching a ratchet-strap between the ends. I use the ratchet to take out all of the flex before I mount my hammock. WARNING: If the strap were to fail while under tension, the flex in the hammock stand would make a pretty mean catapult!!! It shouldn't be a danger once you're in the hammock as your weight (or at least my weight) is enough to add just enough extra flex to relax the strain on the ratchet strap. So far I've had no failures (and I've left the straps on for months at a time), but it could happen.

I know......pictures would be helpful but that will have to wait until we dig out from all this snow.

p.s. I never have gotten a tarp to work properly when attached directly to the hammock stand. Too much flex. So I bought a couple of cheap aluminum tent poles from Wally World and mount the tarp to the poles instead of the hammock stand.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Thank you I was hoping to get some feed back.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Didn't someone awhile back stick pvc pipe into the ends to add length/height? Or is that what you are saying, Burning Cedar? I had one like that back in TN, and that's what I was going to do.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I have a stand my wife got me last year from Bed, Bath & Beyond of all places. It's nice, well manufactured, painted a subdued khaki color, and works great. I'm fortunate enough to have 6 - 8 trees in my backyard so my stand doesn't get used very often, but it's nice to have.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    The stand itself is great for just the hammocks, but when adding a tarp it sucks.....
    I guess I can call it a Hilfiger Stand......

He'll figer it out..............

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    Didn't someone awhile back stick pvc pipe into the ends to add length/height? Or is that what you are saying, Burning Cedar? I had one like that back in TN, and that's what I was going to do.
    I haven't tested PVC myself, but I'd be concerned about PVC's ability not to crack under that kind of pressure. You could also use straight 1-1/2" conduit to extend the stand, but the 90-degree stuff offers a couple of advantages:

#1: You don't need as large a piece. The bend in the conduit prevents the it from sliding down the pipe too far whereas a straight piece would have to be longer than the pipe.

#2: A straight piece of conduit would also extend the distance between the hang points on the stand; whereas the 90-degree bend (with the ends of the pipe pointed towards the center of the stand) tends to maintain the original distance between the hang points. For most suspension systems this won't matter either way; just if you are using a particularly short suspension system.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Claytor JH, Trek Light
    Tarp
    JH Diamond
    Insulation
    GG Foam
    Suspension
    Rings/ Web
    Randy,
    Try a Muffler Shop. They can bend you a heavier piece of tubing and to what ever angle you need. Might be safer!kmat

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I have done something similar with my stand. I used SS cable with turnbuckles on each each to remove the slop before hanging the hammock. The cable strength gives me peace of mind about it failing.
    The extensions on each end are just boiler tubing of the correct size bent upward with couplings welded to them. They are attached with a eyebolt than can be removed. They extend the ends an additional 16" upward. Plenty for hanging tarp and hammock.

You know what...I could probably get these extensions made fairly inexpensively if someone would want a set. The same friend of mine who cuts the Dutch clips is a welder and overall creative dude who loves doing stuff like this.I'll check it out with him.

I guess the caveat is the pipe diameter size of the existing stand. It would have to be known to properly make extensions.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I tried the PVC this afternoon, No bueno,,,,,
    But atleast I have a plastic prototype to take to a muffer shop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast