Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Here's a secret: there isn't anything special about the foot box. There's literally zero wizardry going on here

[...]
    Missed this reply, didn't get any notifications..

But thank you so much for the visual and written explanation, it really makes sense to me now.

It's sometimes really hard to take a 2d shape and then just in your head understand how that will shape into a 3d shape when bent or twisted.

Once I made a replica of Captain Haddock's visor cap and I remember scratching my head so much trying to get the 2d pattern right so it translated into the right 3d shape when the pieces came together. It gave me much more respect for clothes designers that's for sure...

Again, thanks for the explanation!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Check out "Creative Kayt" videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/creativeKayt

She has a series showing how she made a WB style hammock (including the shelf & footbox)

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Check out "Creative Kayt" videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/creativeKayt

She has a series showing how she made a WB style hammock (including the shelf & footbox)
    Thanx for the link! I'll check them out!

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    The WBBB and XLC are indeed rectangular. Moreover, the length of both sides that attach to the hammock body are of equal length.

On the entry side, it's straightforward; there's a 5" panel with a zipper that runs the length of the hammock up to the whipping.

On the shelf/footbox side, the footbox is just an upside down triangle. If you add up the length of each of the non-hypotenuse sides, and the length of the shelf edge from the head end to the reinforcement, you'll get the same length.

To verify, you can take a piece of string and measure the zipper length of each side. On an XLC each side is 126" long.

What other questions do you have about it?
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    The WBBB and XLC are indeed rectangular. Moreover, the length of both sides that attach to the hammock body are of equal length.

On the entry side, it's straightforward; there's a 5" panel with a zipper that runs the length of the hammock up to the whipping.

On the shelf/footbox side, the footbox is just an upside down triangle. If you add up the length of each of the non-hypotenuse sides, and the length of the shelf edge from the head end to the reinforcement, you'll get the same length.

To verify, you can take a piece of string and measure the zipper length of each side. On an XLC each side is 126" long.

What other questions do you have about it?
    Thanks for the input, I think I have managed to wrap my head around it haha.

Last question would probably be if a foot box is worth the extra effort? I've never slept in a wbbb before but theoretically I get the idea. Maybe I just have to try one or make one and see for myself.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalle Mandelstam View Post
    Thanks for the input, I think I have managed to wrap my head around it haha.

Last question would probably be if a foot box is worth the extra effort? I've never slept in a wbbb before but theoretically I get the idea. Maybe I just have to try one or make one and see for myself.
    It's really personal preference, there has been a lot of discussion about this over the years.

The point of the footbox is to mimic the shape a netless hammock makes with the netting still attached. Some people believe this provides a flatter lay and more wiggle room for their feet, where that point on the side would otherwise be pulled upwards by the netting. The footbox offers little to no benefit for netless hammocks (although SgtRock and some others believe differently), far easier IMO to use a Knotty mod or look up TZBrown's post on adding a triangle to the side, but in my opinion the point there is more to keep your TQ in the hammock. The footbox will cause the head end of that side to be more taut, which WarbonnetGuy cleverly used as a ledge the shelf.

There are lots of variables at work in gathered end hammocks, more so when netting becomes involved - the person's height, sleeping position, and fabric width to name just a few. My advice is to try it both ways.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12