Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images

Cumulus TQ & UQ

Got my new Cumulus quilt kit during the Christmas holidays.

Selva 600 UQ and Taiga 480 TQ. Both in Large. They have Pertex Endurance on the outside and Pertex Quantum on the inside .
    The QU is 230cm long and 110cm wide at the shoulders. Comfort temperature is -14°C and limit temperatur is -22°C

The quality and workmanship is superb and it comes with storage bag, stuffsack, good shock cords (elastic but firm) and the material feels good. I am about 180 and Large is maybe a bit to big but at the same time, the weight difference between large and medium is not a big deal if you aren't a gram weenie.

I have only done a small test in the backyard but the TQ is very good and I do not miss anything at all. It is light, have nice fabric, a lot of adjustable cords at the back and a foot box with "shark fin" construction. My only concern is the rather simple suspension on the UQ. It only consist of chock cord at both ends and six chock cords "hooks" on the sides. But so far everything seems good and the UQ was rather easy to hang on the hammock. A few adjustments and it was more or less done.

I will do a real "winter" test as soon as the temperature are a bit lower (have only tested the gear in fairly mild winter temperatures and in a wind protected area) but in the mean time... If someone has tried the new Cumulus Hammock quilt line, please share your insights. That is your experiences?

It will be interesting and fun to join US and EU (Poland & Sweden) in the Swedish winter woods (Warbonnet BB XLC with Cumulus TQ & UQ)

Pertex Quantum fabric = down proof, wind proof with high breathability.
    Pertex Endurance fabric = water resistant, down proof, wind proof with high breathability

Cumulus brand and tag(s):
    quilt-0001.jpg

Suspension at the end:
    quilt-0002-2.jpg

Inside of UQ:
    quilt-0002.jpg

Side hooks/pulls:
    quilt-0003.jpg

We really need local companies that can supply the EU market with good and affordable sleeping systems for hammocks. Today tax and custom make it hard for many of us to buy gear from US. Even if the US gear is superb and in many cases class leading a Quilt kit will often break the bank..(and we need isolation the whole year).

Direct link to some Cumulus, UKH, HG differences (first impressions)
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1726962
    Last edited by Biped; 01-12-2017 at 14:38. Reason: Spelling
    Like everything else in life..don't bother to be better than your contemporaries. Try to be better than yourself

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Welcome to the family

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rquilt-arrived

I got this combo before the winter, tried several times, but only last days allowed me to test the limits. The suspension is quite simple, I dont see any reason to run the shockcord all the way along the uq. Or secondary suspension. I bought the dutch ridgeline quilt hooks so that the uq hugs the hammock better. Tried with prusiks on the ridgeline too, works as well. What I really like is the pertex endurance fabric, tried some moist and freeze, quilts covered with ice in the morning, dried fast on the sun The loft is amazing too.

The coldest I went to was -18. To -10 it was very warm inside with any clothes on me, just socks, and long sleeve warm t-shirt. It got to -18 in the night, i put my pyjama trousers on me. If I could sleep still and didnt move, could be OK in this temperature. Otherwise I would like to wear light down jacket or something like fleece jacket. For me the magic border is somewhere around -14 when everything inside is really warm. In -18, there were cold spots inside of the topquilt (still warm from underquilt) and I got cold on the foots in the place where they are touching the hammock footbox (compressed down). I also used the webbing loops on the sides to connect them with carabiners so that hugs me better and my warmth stays where it should. I survived, and had some sleep, but would wear something on me next time. However, those temperatures are rare here, so the comfort zone of -14 is pretty excellent.

And the guys in cumulus company... amazing.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kardinal_emilus View Post
    Welcome to the family

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rquilt-arrived

I got this combo before the winter, tried several times, but only last days allowed me to test the limits. The suspension is quite simple, I dont see any reason to run the shockcord all the way along the uq. Or secondary suspension. I bought the dutch ridgeline quilt hooks so that the uq hugs the hammock better. Tried with prusiks on the ridgeline too, works as well. What I really like is the pertex endurance fabric, tried some moist and freeze, quilts covered with ice in the morning, dried fast on the sun The loft is amazing too.

The coldest I went to was -18. To -10 it was very warm inside with any clothes on me, just socks, and long sleeve warm t-shirt. It got to -18 in the night, i put my pyjama trousers on me. If I could sleep still and didnt move, could be OK in this temperature. Otherwise I would like to wear light down jacket or something like fleece jacket. For me the magic border is somewhere around -14 when everything inside is really warm. In -18, there were cold spots inside of the topquilt (still warm from underquilt) and I got cold on the foots in the place where they are touching the hammock footbox (compressed down). I also used the webbing loops on the sides to connect them with carabiners so that hugs me better and my warmth stays where it should. I survived, and had some sleep, but would wear something on me next time. However, those temperatures are rare here, so the comfort zone of -14 is pretty excellent.

And the guys in cumulus company... amazing.
    Thanks! :-)

We seem to have similar thoughts about the suspension. From my first test it seems to work very well and I also have a few dutch ridgeline quilt hooks that I will try if the temperature drops. Nice to hear that you had a good experience at (-) 10-14 degrees I suspect that I will encounter similar temperatures on my next trip.

I already have a Cumulus sleeping bag with Pertex fabric..It is really nice and one of the reson I decided to go with Cumulus. From my experience it is strong, light and very water repellent.It will be nice to not be afraid of condensation from the tarp and/or splashing water soaking into the UQ.

I am amazed about the quality and workmanship. Not a single bad thread, the stitching is perfect and way better than most other brands.

Thanks again! Can wait for my next trip :-)
    Like everything else in life..don't bother to be better than your contemporaries. Try to be better than yourself

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    3 people on the forum with these so far (what I know of). Need moar reviews!

(Varifrån i Skåne håller du hus? )

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    I ordered a Selva 600 on sunday. I will report as soon as I tried it.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latt View Post
    3 people on the forum with these so far (what I know of). Need moar reviews!

(Varifrån i Skåne håller du hus? )
    I live close to the military base and the protected Natura 2000 area at Revingehed. I tried the UQ in my backyard last night in about -3 degrees. It was snowing and quite windy with fine snow blowing into the tarp and hammock. No problems at all. In fact I was almost to hot and I am still waiting for lower temperatures :-)

February is often the coldest month in the southern parts of Sweden and I will ,hopefully, go away for an 5 day trip in Småland/Blekinge within a few weeks.

I have UQ's and TQ's from UKH and HammockGear as well. Cumulus easy beats UKH in quality and workmanship and is on par with HammockGear.
    Last edited by Biped; 01-11-2017 at 17:59.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    I did't know that there already existed a thread about Selva 600.. Anyway I have UQ's and TQ's from Cumulus , UKH and HammockGear.

A brief summary of some of the differences:

• The workmanship and Quality of Cumulus and HammockGear are equal. Both are way better than UKH.
    • The Cumulus UQ (in size Large) are a lot larger than both UKH and HammockGear in standard size. I am 180 and the Cumulus UQ is in fact a little to big for me.
    • The Cumulus TQ has a longer "shark fin" foot box and are a lot longer than a UKH TQ. Cumulus also have a lot more adjustment cords in the back. (UKH has none)
    • Cumulus is shipped with storage bags, stuff sack and a lot of extra cords and cord locks. UKH is only shipped with a sack that is more or less is useless. HammockGear is also shipped with a nice storage bag and stuff sack.
    • HammockGear supply s-biners for the suspension. UKH and Cumulus only ships with shock cord., Cumulus and HammockGear has cord locks. UKH has none.
    • Cumulus and HammockGear has webbing loops on the side (for extra suspension). UKH has none.
    • The fabric on Cumulus is fantastic, high breathability and water resistant. The fabric on e.g UKH is on the other side very prone to collect water/moisture.
    • The chock cords (for the suspension) on Cumulus and HammockGear is good, firm but still elastic. The shock cord supplied with UKH..is not so good and probably one of the first thing you need to replace.

Can't really compare the down loft as the quilt has different sizes and amount of down. But.. the loft on Cumulus is great and stay that way mounted on the Hammock. For me it is a bit harder to fit the UKH quilt to the Hammock and it often has the tendency to compress the down or create air gaps. I had to sew on extra webbing loops and a secondary suspension om my UKH to make it work well below -5 (celsius).

The guys at Cumulus is very service minded and the delivery time was really good. Maybe a was lucky or first in line but I placed my order just before the Christmas holidays and the gear showed up at my door stepp around new year.

I have an old sleeping bag from Cumulus and the Pertex fabric is, in my mind, fantastic. (It was one of the reason I chose to go for Cumulus)

Pertex fabric:
    http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/me...--uk-ii/fabric

I hope this summary is to some help, if not. Ask and i will try to answers any questions.

Cumulus: UQ Selva 600 and TQ Taiga 480.
    UKH: Winter TQ and UQ with 100 gr overfill in both.
    HammockGear: Incubator 20
    Hammock: WBBB XLC

Hi Biped

I have been looking at & thinking about getting a HG Burrow in wide 55" width, but obviously the cost is high when taking into account import duties to UK etc.

Are you able to advise on the width of the Taiga 480 TQ. The specs on the Cumulus web page I think states 77cm width on the Large, which is only about 30", which seems quite narrow.

Looks very attractive, but concerned about the width.

How do you find it width wise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
    Hi Biped

I have been looking at & thinking about getting a HG Burrow in wide 55" width, but obviously the cost is high when taking into account import duties to UK etc.

Are you able to advise on the width of the Taiga 480 TQ. The specs on the Cumulus web page I think states 77cm width on the Large, which is only about 30", which seems quite narrow.

Looks very attractive, but concerned about the width.

How do you find it width wise?

I have not tried HG Burrow in wide..But if I compare the Taiga with a UKH TQ the first one has a more snug fit.. I would say that the Taiga in large is perfect for someone that is long with medium upper body. But everything depend on how much spare room you would like to have.

I am 180 cm long with a normal upper body, maybe a bit wider at the shoulders than a "normal" person and for me the Taiga in L is "roomy" enough (a bit to long). The fit is however rather snug and I am also used to sleep in thick and snug winter (mummy) sleeping bags.

But...I like a lot of space and If I would buy a new one I think I would trade weight and warmth for some more room and ask Cumulus to make it a bit wider. Send them an email or call them and ask for advice. I am sure that they can make it as wide as you like..
    Last edited by Biped; 01-11-2017 at 18:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Biped View Post
    I have not tried HG Burrow in wide..But if I compare the Taiga with a UKH TQ and the first one has a more snug fit.. I would say that the Taiga in large is perfect for someone that is long with medium upper body. But everything depend on how much spare room you would like to have.

I am 180 cm long with a normal upper body, maybe a bit wider at the shoulders than a "normal" person and for me the Taiga in L is "roomy" enough (a bit to long). The fit is however rather snug and I am also used to sleep in thick and snug winter (mummy) sleeping bags.

But...I like a lot of space and If I would buy a new one I think I would trade weight and warmth for some more room and ask Cumulus to make it a bit wider. Send them an email or call them and ask for advice. I am sure that they can make it as wide as you like..
    Thank you for your thoughts on it. I have sent Cumulus an e-mail Enquiry.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast