Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixabilly View Post
    Hello from Finland, i also wait that the temps will go down enough so i can test my selva 600 too. I really like the quality of it, feels really good and also it seems to be so well made.

Btw, if you wish to visit in finland, we have hammock meetings too. 28.1. we have first winter meeting at the Evo recreational park. Welcome there
    Thanks! I am probably away the 28.1 but would really like to go to Finland sometime soon..it was more than 10 year since I was in Pallas with a friend.It is a Marvelous and beautiful landscape. (we slept in tents and huts).

It's funny in some sense. Ordinary, on some trips, the cold is something you would like to avoid. Now I find my self looking at the weather report hoping to se some sign of a snow storm and low temperatures :-)
    Last edited by Biped; 01-12-2017 at 14:33. Reason: Spelling
    Like everything else in life..don't bother to be better than your contemporaries. Try to be better than yourself

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latt View Post
    I wrote to Cumulus and asked about this right when they introduced the quilts. Here's the answer I got:
    There is a lot of adjustment cords in the back that allow you to get a snug or loose fit. It is actually very good. Nowdays I do not worry that any movement will create air gaps then I sleep.
    Like everything else in life..don't bother to be better than your contemporaries. Try to be better than yourself

I wrote to Cumulus and asked about this right when they introduced the quilts. Here's the answer I got:
    That width of 125cm sounds more like it, 77cm did seem a bit narrow.

I sent them an e-mail enquiry last night, but no response yet.

All the positive comments are making it sound like a very good option for me.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Biped View Post
    The UKH TQ is rather nice:

I think the problem with the UKH UQ is compressed down. Try to sew weebing hooks about 30-40 cm from the footend and use that to hang the UQ from the ridgeline. That way you can hang the QU a bit loose under your back and bottom (about 0.5-1 cm wide gap between the hammock and UQ) and still close down the end from leaking cold air. UKH do not have a pronounced (if any) differential cut and it is very easy to compress the down in areas there the fabric is a bit tight/streched. I have also added a secondary suspension. After I did that kind of modifications the UQ was a whole lot better..as long as I do not strech the fabric to much....

But in the end..I got bored of all the adjustment and went for Cumulus instead.

P.s I am away this weekend..but maybe we can do a trip together in the future so you can test my Cumulus UQ (and/or the Selva 480)
    I believe you're completely right. UKH haven't managed to produce quilts with a proper differential cut. It's solely because of this, it's so hard to make the quilt perform properly.

I'll look into those hook's. It's a good idea and will make it easier to sell the quilt too, since then it'll at least be able to function without hours of fiddling. Hopefully. I too am going to look more into Cumulus and probably Loco Libre for deep winter hangs eventually.

I found you on the facebook group, so I'll shoot you a pm regarding a meet

Quote Originally Posted by Pixabilly View Post
    Hello from Finland, i also wait that the temps will go down enough so i can test my selva 600 too. I really like the quality of it, feels really good and also it seems to be so well made.

Btw, if you wish to visit in finland, we have hammock meetings too. 28.1. we have first winter meeting at the Evo recreational park. Welcome there
    That would be awesome! I've never been to Finland but it's certainly on my list of place I wish to visit. I wont be able to attend this year, but I'm certainly interested in participating in the future.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    It's funny in some sense. Ordinary, on some trips, the cold is something you would like to avoid. Now I find my self looking at the weather report hoping to see some sign of a snow storm and low temperatures :-)
    Me too! I'm planning (early stage drawing board) several different winter artic trips. People think I'm crazy

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    I believe you're completely right. UKH haven't managed to produce quilts with a proper differential cut. It's solely because of this, it's so hard to make the quilt perform properly.

I'll look into those hook's. It's a good idea and will make it easier to sell the quilt too, since then it'll at least be able to function without hours of fiddling. Hopefully. I too am going to look more into Cumulus and probably Loco Libre for deep winter hangs eventually.

I found you on the facebook group, so I'll shoot you a pm regarding a meet
    You can also ad a secondary suspension on UKH (like the one that exist on e.g a HQ), it will also help a bit. But to add webbing loops is by far the best mod you can do a UKH. A Cumulus quilt has a more "flat inside" (like HG) and a differential cut that allow the down to loft even if the fabric is streched a bit.
    Last edited by Biped; 01-13-2017 at 12:33.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    I tried a pseudo-secondary suspension by using the shock cord from the end cinch to the primary suspension. It works "ok" for the foot end but if I had it in the head end too, but would pull the UQ too "thin" and again, compress the down.

This weekend I even experienced that two of my baffles (the two left most baffles) had a massive case of down shifting. I literally had to try and move down from the food end to the head end in order to have any insulation at all around my left shoulder. Had quite a miserable night. was cold in only -2c in a quilt which they rate at -15c :P

I'm either going to try and sell the quilt for cheap, or try to make a faux baffle operation on it in order to create a differential cut effect, make a secondary suspension mod and the webbing loops you recommend. As well as maybe add some more down to it.... A lot of work for something that should've just worked from the get-go.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    I tried a pseudo-secondary suspension by using the shock cord from the end cinch to the primary suspension. It works "ok" for the foot end but if I had it in the head end too, but would pull the UQ too "thin" and again, compress the down.

This weekend I even experienced that two of my baffles (the two left most baffles) had a massive case of down shifting. I literally had to try and move down from the food end to the head end in order to have any insulation at all around my left shoulder. Had quite a miserable night. was cold in only -2c in a quilt which they rate at -15c :P

I'm either going to try and sell the quilt for cheap, or try to make a faux baffle operation on it in order to create a differential cut effect, make a secondary suspension mod and the webbing loops you recommend. As well as maybe add some more down to it.... A lot of work for something that should've just worked from the get-go.
    The UKH Quilt has some problems. I can take pictures on my mods. Maybe it can help a bit. I have managed to make it work a bit lower than that.

Not to pour salt in any wound.. I slept in my Cumulus this weekend at -9c and it was hot :-) . Where I live the temp should go down to (-) 10-11 during the week (and it is allways colder where I live) so I will try the Cumulus in my back yard once more. This time with a "thinner" TQ.

Hmm..if thing could slow down at work. I really need to go away a few day..

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    You're not pouring salt in any wounds. I've already made up my mind, that the nights spent with a UKH UQ underneith me are either gone or down to at least only one more night

Glad to hear it performed well at -9!

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I slept in my Cumulus this weekend at -9c and it was hot :-) .
    Please, could you write here, what did you wear? I was pretty warm in -10, but couldnt say I was hot. Tried to sleep naked. Less than -10 and I would need to wear some pyjama

I learned to always check the down distribution before I board the hammock, there is not so important to have much down on the ends of the underquilt. Also I experienced different comfort within the same temperatures during the night, so there is always something you can do to be warm. How did you hang your uq? To the hammock suspension only, or to the hammock ridgeline?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast