Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
    Thank you for your thoughts on it. I have sent Cumulus an e-mail Enquiry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No problem at all..I hope it helped you in some way..Size is tricky. My HammockGear UQ in standard size big enough..I think EU sizes are a bit smaller. The Cumulus UQ is however quite big. I would be good if Cumulus had more sizes to choose from on their webpage.

P.s If you would like to have hydrophobic down you need to ask them at the same time. I think they calculate the price based on the amount of down needed.
    Like everything else in life..don't bother to be better than your contemporaries. Try to be better than yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Biped View Post
    No problem at all..I hope it helped you in some way..Size is tricky. My HammockGear UQ in standard size big enough..I think EU sizes are a bit smaller. The Cumulus UQ is however quite big. I would be good if Cumulus had more sizes to choose from on their webpage.

P.s If you would like to have hydrophobic down you need to ask them at the same time. I think they calculate the price based on the amount of down needed.
    Yes, helpful to have your thoughts on it. I have asked about the hydrophobic down as well.

Will wait and see what they say about increasing the width, if it is possible, I will very likely place an order - depending on additional cost involved obviously.

Many thanks.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    they will be happy to make your custom quilts. I found out that the less space I have inside of the quilt, the less warmth I need to produce. In -10 celsius I still had warm fabric inside of the topquilt taiga 480. Amazing.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Biped View Post
    I live close to the military base and the protected Natura 2000 area at Revingehed. I tried the UQ in my backyard last night in about -3 degrees. It was snowing and quite windy with fine snow blowing into the tarp and hammock. No problems at all. In fact I was almost to hot and I am still waiting for lower temperatures :-)

February is often the coldest month in the southern parts of Sweden and I will ,hopefully, go away for an 5 day trip in Småland/Blekinge within a few weeks.

I have UQ's and TQ's from UKH and HammockGear as well. Cumulus easy beats UKH in quality and workmanship and is on par with HammockGear.
    We live quite close to one another then. I live just outside Trelleborg.

I too have UKH Winter TQ and UQ. I had mine custom made in late 2015, delivered exactly a year ago. Both quilts I had made of Dutch Argon 0.67 fabric, the UQ was otherwise standard. The TQ I had shortened and applied straps to go under a sleeping mat for when I need to go to ground.

I've experienced the same as you with the UQ. Hard to fit to the hammock and hardly any success with it at all, when temps go below -5c. Fortunately I have an attic where I spent countless hours trying to learn how to make it work, but alas, I'm still quite displeased with it.

The TQ on the other hand I'm quite pleased with and I even used it on a trip to Sarek, except of course that the baffles are all width-wise, so the down will "fall" to the sides and reduce the loft in the middle of the quilt, when I use it on a sleeping mat. Doesn't happen when in a hammock.

Going out hanging from Sat till Sun this weekend. Expecting some -4c according to the current weather forecast, so I'll bring out the expedition base layer and wish I had a better UQ :P

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    I've got a Cumulus Panyam 450 sleeping bag which I've been using as a TQ in my hammock, as I only bought it a few months before I got into hammocking last year. Honestly I love it, the loft is insane and it is REALLY warm. I've taken it down to -6°C (which is it's limit rating) and my torso and legs were still super warm in just long johns and a tshirt.
    My feet got a bit cold, but that was most likely because A) they were pretty much frozen before I got into my hammock and B) I slid too far down, so my feet were past the end of my wooki UQ...

Quote Originally Posted by kardinal_emilus View Post
    they will be happy to make your custom quilts. I found out that the less space I have inside of the quilt, the less warmth I need to produce. In -10 celsius I still had warm fabric inside of the topquilt taiga 480. Amazing.
    I understand what you are saying about heating the space.

I had concerns about my shoulders being exposed with movement in the night, as width across my shoulders is about 70cm, which doesn't leave a lot spare and was thinking I'd rather have a bit extra width than not enough.

Always hard to gauge the things before purchase.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
    I understand what you are saying about heating the space.

I had concerns about my shoulders being exposed with movement in the night, as width across my shoulders is about 70cm, which doesn't leave a lot spare and was thinking I'd rather have a bit extra width than not enough.

Always hard to gauge the things before purchase.

I wrote to Cumulus and asked about this right when they introduced the quilts. Here's the answer I got:

Hello Henrik,
    thank you for your e-mail.

This is the width of the inner/top part of the quilt only. When it lays fully width is 125cm.

Kind regards
    Rafał Buczek

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latt View Post
    We live quite close to one another then. I live just outside Trelleborg.

I too have UKH Winter TQ and UQ. I had mine custom made in late 2015, delivered exactly a year ago. Both quilts I had made of Dutch Argon 0.67 fabric, the UQ was otherwise standard. The TQ I had shortened and applied straps to go under a sleeping mat for when I need to go to ground.

I've experienced the same as you with the UQ. Hard to fit to the hammock and hardly any success with it at all, when temps go below -5c. Fortunately I have an attic where I spent countless hours trying to learn how to make it work, but alas, I'm still quite displeased with it.

The TQ on the other hand I'm quite pleased with and I even used it on a trip to Sarek, except of course that the baffles are all width-wise, so the down will "fall" to the sides and reduce the loft in the middle of the quilt, when I use it on a sleeping mat. Doesn't happen when in a hammock.

Going out hanging from Sat till Sun this weekend. Expecting some -4c according to the current weather forecast, so I'll bring out the expedition base layer and wish I had a better UQ :P
    The UKH TQ is rather nice:

I think the problem with the UKH UQ is compressed down. Try to sew weebing hooks about 30-40 cm from the footend and use that to hang the UQ from the ridgeline. That way you can hang the QU a bit loose under your back and bottom (about 0.5-1 cm wide gap between the hammock and UQ) and still close down the end from leaking cold air. UKH do not have a pronounced (if any) differential cut and it is very easy to compress the down in areas there the fabric is a bit tight/streched. I have also added a secondary suspension. After I did that kind of modifications the UQ was a whole lot better..as long as I do not strech the fabric to much....

But in the end..I got bored of all the adjustment and went for Cumulus instead.

P.s I am away this weekend..but maybe we can do a trip together in the future so you can test my Cumulus UQ (and/or the Selva 480)
    Last edited by Biped; 01-12-2017 at 09:15.
    Like everything else in life..don't bother to be better than your contemporaries. Try to be better than yourself

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by massis View Post
    I've got a Cumulus Panyam 450 sleeping bag which I've been using as a TQ in my hammock, as I only bought it a few months before I got into hammocking last year. Honestly I love it, the loft is insane and it is REALLY warm. I've taken it down to -6°C (which is it's limit rating) and my torso and legs were still super warm in just long johns and a tshirt.
    My feet got a bit cold, but that was most likely because A) they were pretty much frozen before I got into my hammock and B) I slid too far down, so my feet were past the end of my wooki UQ...

We have also have two Cumulus sleepingbags in the family, Lite line 400, and they are fantastic. :-)

It's our favorite 3 season tent gear. My girlfriend also use the sleeping bag it in the hammock with great succés. Our next purchase will be a custom Cumulus winter slepping bag/ Quilt for our 4 year old boy.

Hammock
    Wbxlc, Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubators
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch
    Hello from Finland, i also wait that the temps will go down enough so i can test my selva 600 too. I really like the quality of it, feels really good and also it seems to be so well made.

Btw, if you wish to visit in finland, we have hammock meetings too. 28.1. we have first winter meeting at the Evo recreational park. Welcome there

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast