Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Still looking

Weights and pack volume

On a winter set, lets say around 25 deg what would the average weight of everything you use weigh. I know every bodies sets are different, I'm just trying to get an idea of what size pack it would take and how much room there will be left for other essentials.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I use a 75l pack but I have plenty of room left over with 2 days of food and 3 liters of water. Without food and water I'm looking at about 20 lbs. All down sleep gear and a synthetic puffy coat. I often bring my rain jacket to wear as a "hard shell" over the puffy to kill wind and add another layer, but it's kind of heavy and packs fairly large. Titanium cook pot and tiny isobutane stove. I haven't gotten anything more than the smaller fuel cans thus far. Socks and sometimes an extra shirt and base pants to sleep in. After food and water I'm usually around 30-35 lbs. The dang pack is nearly 4 lbs itself... so I'm looking at making a new one.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm very anal about weighing everything, keeping a spreadsheet for each trip, weather conditions, and how things went. It makes future planning easy. It sounds strange, but my winter pack isn't much heavier for winter (0-20°) as it is for my 2 season (25-60°). I don't do summer!

2-season I use a 50L pack which is about 24lb total with food and water on a 3-4 day. In winter, it's usually the 65L pack and total 28lb. I think that's pretty light for those 0-20° temps. I think upwards of 35lb wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary for many people.

My 0° quilt set really takes up some space, so packing is like a puzzle but it's a perfect fit. I use a Jetboil with the 1.8L sumo pot for melting snow and that's pretty big. I really wish I could eliminate something from my winter kit, but can't.

Hammock
    ENO JungleNest/WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    I use a 75l pack but I have plenty of room left over with 2 days of food and 3 liters of water. Without food and water I'm looking at about 20 lbs. All down sleep gear and a synthetic puffy coat. I often bring my rain jacket to wear as a "hard shell" over the puffy to kill wind and add another layer, but it's kind of heavy and packs fairly large. Titanium cook pot and tiny isobutane stove. I haven't gotten anything more than the smaller fuel cans thus far. Socks and sometimes an extra shirt and base pants to sleep in. After food and water I'm usually around 30-35 lbs. The dang pack is nearly 4 lbs itself... so I'm looking at making a new one.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    I am so glad that I'm not the only one. In winter I haven't gotten below 33 pounds with all my food, fuel, and water along. I thought maybe I was always taking too much. Thanks for the good news!

Hammock
    ENO JungleNest/WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies
    I forgot to add my own info on my response. I had a 45 liter pack, and in winter I would have to put my quilt and other insulation in a stuff sack and hang it underneath my pack. I now have a 64 liter Z packs Arc Haul Zip, and I can fit everything much better. I just weighed my pack without fuel, water, or food and it is right at 23 pounds. I might be able to get below my 33 pound weight with the new pack and some newer lighter gear, like my EE Convert instead of my sleeping bag. Here is the Video of my current pack that I'll be using in the near future for a winter one-nighter. Also, on this next trip I will be right next to a river and there may be snow, so I may be much lighter weight without so much water.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Winter weight on my last trip was 31lbs and that's in my Gregory Baltoro 65 which was full to the edges.

Hammock
    Still looking
    Thanks that's the info I was hoping for. I should be ok with weight if I can control the temptation to load the unneeded. I use an msr filter pump so no water weight which is a lot. I have an EXO 5500 with snow collar that makes it close to a 7200.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I use a 45 liter pack. I only pack layers, and wear what is dictated at the time. I'm down to 16lbs for my winter pack. My biggest hurdle is knowing what I need and what I dont. Tinker with your gear and you can get the weight down eventually. I just don't like the idea of hauling a 35lb pack all day, lol! Good luck and Hapoy Hanging!

Hammock
    Dutch Netted Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Bot Pad, Top Quilt
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE
    Right now my winter pack is about 18 pounds and I am good down into single digits. I use a 55L pack and a lot of ultralight stuff. This weight is based on a typical weekend trip with food and always carrying 1 L of water. I am in the process of making my own hammock setup so that number will drop a pound most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I guess "winter" is the key here. 14" of snow and 9°F for a high with wind? Or 26° with possibly no snow? To me, the latter is simply a cooler early spring day.

I'm not sure if the 25° mentioned in the OP was a high or low temp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast