HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rhino View Post
    I am so glad that I'm not the only one. In winter I haven't gotten below 33 pounds with all my food, fuel, and water along. I thought maybe I was always taking too much. Thanks for the good news!
    I do tend to bring some luxury items.... I could shave a bit of weight by leaving them at home but a nice bourbon at the end of the trail is awesome and relaxing in a chair at camp is usually much better on my back and knees than crouching on a rock or log. Those rei flex lite chairs are quite spendy, but friggin sweet!

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    I do tend to bring some luxury items.... I could shave a bit of weight by leaving them at home but a nice bourbon at the end of the trail is awesome
    I used to carry some whiskey plus a 16oz bottle of Coke for some mixed drinks! Sounds crazy, but I just can't drink it straight. I've switched to a playpus with some wine to get more bang for my buck, without getting hammered

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I've only done one backpacking trip (new to backpacking) and I did a 2 night 3 day trip in December. One night the low was 45ish the next night was 24° I have a 65L osprey atmos and it weighed in at about 27lbs which I think was pretty good for my first time. Since it was my first time I pack a few things that I didn't need and had food left over. So take that away and it probably would be around 25lbs. I was carrying 2 bottles of water but can't remember how many ounces I was carrying but it was 1 smart water bottle with the sports cap and then the next size up.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    My winter setup tends to weigh in at a gross weight of 35 pounds, and it's all packed in an Osprey Atmos 65 AG. Typically, I'm only going out for one night/2 day trips with that kind of setup. Hoping to reduce that weight once I upgrade to a lighter weight hammock and TQ.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Still looking
    I know every bodies set will be different and what's important for you to carry may not make the list for someone else, but the weights seem pretty close. The number of days on the trail can change everything too, but what I've read so far gives me a good target, thanks.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by WVGunner View Post
    On a winter set, lets say around 25 deg what would the average weight of everything you use weigh. I know every bodies sets are different, I'm just trying to get an idea of what size pack it would take and how much room there will be left for other essentials.
    I did a 2 night backpack this past weekend with low temps of 18 & 20 degrees. My total pack weight with food & 1 liter of water was 16 pounds. It all fit with room to spare in a ULA Ohm 2.0 pack which is about a 60L pack.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    My base weight, varies from 7 pounds (warm weather) to 13 pounds (temps into lower 20's). I make a lot of my own gear, so I customize it just for me. I like to go light and simple, but love comfort (why I love hammocks). The pack I take most is a 45 liter (use for multidays also), and sometimes I use a 20 liter (only if weather looks great). I have not used a larger pack for a couple of years.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did start making a gear list with weights, but actually didn't figure the total out. So far, I've only had time or desire to do a single overnight and somewhat short hikes in winter. Because of that, I don't need to bring much water or food. I'd probably guess around 25 pounds, maybe less. I use a Ti pot and Esbit stove, so cookset is super light, although I do add a double walled Ti mug to keep my coffee warm.

I had a 35L pack and had to hang so much off the outside of it in November (before getting my winter quilts). Therefore, I upgraded to a 65L + 10 for winter. I like it so much, I might even carry it in summer.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My pack is a 50L pack, I rarely use all that space, even without truly compressing my insulation. My base weight without luxuries is 10-12 pounds, but I'll add a book or other stuff depending what the plan is. I only have one set of insulation (well, not true, but my lightest is also my warmest so I only take one)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I went from an Osprey Exos (58L??) to a ULA Circuit (68L??). I think the main bag on the Exos is bigger than the Circuit but I can still cram everything in there (quilts, hammock, tarps, etc) without much problem. I'm still working out the bugs on my packing going from having several slash pockets and a "brain pocket" with the Exos to the giant side pockets and roll top of the Circuit.

I still bring too much junk and I need to work on packing more efficiently....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast