Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape

Modular Sleep System

I've seen several people on here ask about using the MSS as a top quilt and thought I would take a few pictures and briefly describe why this is absolutely an option for people on a budget. I don't intend on this being an in depth review but only a brief overview and an informative thread for new hangers that are looking for an economical option for a top quilt to start hanging in cold weather.

Since I joined the community and started watching Shugs videos, a theme I've notice his how he emphasized HYOH. He never demonstrated a piece of gear that he talked about as a "must have" other than a hammock. He has stressed that the most important thing is that you just get out and start hanging and even then you might realize it's just not for you. With that said I don't like to see people missing out on opportunities to hang because they feel like they don't have the right gear for the job.

The MSS is the standard issued sleeping system for the U.S. Army. It is a three piece system that gives you flexibility between weight and space savings and comfort rating. The lighter weight "Patrol" bag is rated down to 32 degrees Fahrenheit and the heavier "Intermediate Cold" bag is rated down to 0 degrees. You can adjoin the two bags for a comfort rating of minus 30.

I've been using this system for 10 years and can report that for me it's accurate to about 50%-75% of the manufacturers specs. I don't use my patrol bag any lower than 45 degrees and I use just my intermediate cold weather bag down to 20 degrees. Anything colder and I'm combining them together. I can't imagine using them comfortably in any temperatures below 0 degrees. I am a cold sleeper so I'm sure some of you warmer sleepers could push these temperatures lower. The Goretex bivy bag is the third piece and it does a pretty good job at blocking wind.

So what make this different from other sleeping bags? The MSS has a heavy duty zipper that runs approximately two thirds of the way to the bottom of the bag. When it's fully unzipped it creates a footbox that is similar to a top quilt. So the user needs to only unzip it and flip it over and they will have a top quilt. It is 72" long and 52" wide. It uses Climashield insulation and this system can be found easily on eBay or a local military surplus store. Because of its availability you can get the system for about $50.

So what's the cons? It's obviously bulky and it is also very heavy when compared to a top quilt. I wish I had a scale so I could get all my spec nerds out there some data but I unfortunately don't have one. With that said, If space and weight savings is important to you than this may not be for you. However, if you're a back yard or car camper, this could get you out hanging in cold temperatures without breaking the bank.

Both bags side by side. Patrol bag on left and intermediate cold weather bag on the right.

Both patrol and intermediate bags combined (top)

Both patrol and intermediate bags combined (bottom)

Both bags combined and compressed

Both bags combined and compressed (top view)

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    My nephew uses the MSS in his ENO with a pad. And GASP he even backpacks with it, bulk, weight and all! It works for him, so I'm sure it would work for others. As the OP stated, HYOH!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders
    Here are the weights of the bags unaltered on my scale. I'm not sure how much weight variance there is out there, but this will at least get you close. IMHO it is really hard to beat a green patrol bag as a budget top quilt. Especially if you are willing to remove all the extra weight with the zipper.

Green Patrol Bag - 37 oz
    Black Intermediate Cold Bag - 61.6 oz

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Great write up on the MSS as a starter setup for hammock camping. I have been using an MSS for 5 years in Florida with a CCF pad down to the 30's and I have been always warm in my hammock. I kayak or truck camp so weight has been an issue for me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Use what you got! Looks good to me.
    So many wait until they have the perfect set-up.
    Why waste that time.....just go and tote the load that exsists.
    Whooooooo Buddy))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    After seeing Dave Canterbury use and talk about the MSS a lot, and getting into hammocks around the same time I naturally wanted to give it a try. The patrol bag I got from Amazon for only $10 ! It was the first price of insulation I got for my hammock and it worked great. Definetly agree with you and Shug, GET OUT AND HANG! don't miss out BC you don't have an expensive hammock or a quilt set for every temp range possible in down and synthetic both. Just gather up what you can, make what you don't have, and get into the piney woods! You'll always have more fun than if you weren't there at all! Great post!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by thanzely View Post
    Here are the weights of the bags unaltered on my scale. I'm not sure how much weight variance there is out there, but this will at least get you close. IMHO it is really hard to beat a green patrol bag as a budget top quilt. Especially if you are willing to remove all the extra weight with the zipper.

Green Patrol Bag - 37 oz
    Black Intermediate Cold Bag - 61.6 oz
    Thanks for posting the weights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Use what you got! Looks good to me.
    So many wait until they have the perfect set-up.
    Why waste that time.....just go and tote the load that exsists.
    Whooooooo Buddy))))))
    Shug
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    After seeing Dave Canterbury use and talk about the MSS a lot, and getting into hammocks around the same time I naturally wanted to give it a try. The patrol bag I got from Amazon for only $10 ! It was the first price of insulation I got for my hammock and it worked great. Definetly agree with you and Shug, GET OUT AND HANG! don't miss out BC you don't have an expensive hammock or a quilt set for every temp range possible in down and synthetic both. Just gather up what you can, make what you don't have, and get into the piney woods! You'll always have more fun than if you weren't there at all! Great post!
    Amen brethren!

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    This is a great piece of gear, and you can find them at many surplus stores near to Army bars for cheap. I also really like the goretex bivy, even though it's heavy also.

Thank you for this. Some fancy down duvets called 4-season in Europe are actually two that snap together, a lighter one (for summer), the second one a bit thicker (spring & fall) and both snapped together for winter. I am a cold sleeper with a GoLite 40 deg. one-season quilt. I've been playing around with layering to keep me warmer and tested it out in Sequoia this weekend (6000' elevation - no idea what temp because I don't carry such equipment). I sewed myself a crepe de chine silk liner (6 oz.) and a second liner from Argon 97 (less than 3 oz.) that I put over the quilt, plus layered my sleeping clothes including a wool buff on my neck and fleece cap - very cozy and warm. I read last week about using a synthetic outer quilt/sleeping bag with a down inner quilt/sleeping bag, but that was for Scandinavia (I'm in a Mediterranean climate area). I like to read about smart solutions though. It gives me ideas for solving puzzles of my own.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast