Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Just a heads up for those on a low budget / underquilt

Hi all,

I wanted to share this for those who are on a limited budget. The feedback seems to be only positiv. I have an excellent underquilt from UKHammocks but still bought the 0 F to 68 F (5 C to 20 C) version on Aliexpress. I am very curious what I personally think of it :-)

It might be of use to some of you.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ext=underquilt
    I keep learning and will never know enough.

Images
    Did you really give all the personnel info aliexpress wanted to be able to buy from them?
    You do know this companyis based outof China(https://www.alibaba.com/) and will have all your personal info stored on a server.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 08-28-2017 at 19:19.

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Yeah, buying from China is nothing special here in Europe and especially in the Netherlands. I know of none, except for my old mother, who hasn't bought something from aliexpress.com.

The Chinese government is not interested in me. I am a nobody in this world.

Our Postal service even just made a deal with aliexpress.com to be responsible for shipping from China to the Netherlands.
    I keep learning and will never know enough.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    It looks like a knock version of the eno UQ. With the tapered shape, it will force you to sleep less diagonally and more like a banana. I'd wager it's designed for shorter hammocks as well. Might be worth a shot, but I doubt it'd be very comfortable.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

I have the 4 season ( winter) version as well and its actually not that bad. Its rated from between 10° and 20° F though, not 0° F. However, I've had mine to 17° F and was surprisingly warm. I think I could have pushed 10° and been fine believe it or not.

Now, I will say its shape and length weren't positives.....its 2 pieces sewn together along the bottom with a weird split at each end and a loop of shock cord on each side of the split ends for the suspension. I had to add shock cord to allow it to fit my 11' hammocks, but once I had it dialed in it stayed in place pretty well. The insulation that OneTigris uses has a really nice loft to it surprisingly and once fully lofted after unpacking it I measured around 3 1/2" or so if I remember correctly, not bad at all for a $50 UQ. My Snugpak UQ, TQ & Cocoon don't even have that much loft and they are in the same price range and only will get you to around 32°F or so. So overall, this quilt is well worth the trade off of traditional shape/size/adjustability for a temp rating of 10° roughly i think. I'm only 5'7" tall, so for me the short length isnt a huge issue since I could still get as diagonal as I normally do with my Snugpak and HG quilts. A tall user might have issues, idk.

I think this quilt while not what you'd want for long hikes or serious deep winter hangs, def has its place for car camping, back yard hanging, short hikes and will more than be addiquite enough for temps in the 20's and 30's when you want a solid 10° buffer in case the temp drops below what it was forecasted. Its construction was solid as well with no loose threads or sloppy stitching, it was put together solidly surprisingly. I did notice that OneTigris has changed the design of the 3 season UQ so its a sewn through construction that now has several vertical tubes of insulation instead of one solid sheet on each side. I'd imagine its to keep the insulation in place better, but I haven't had any problems with it moving in mine at all.... So idk if the 4s version is that way now too, but doing so will create cold spots possibly and make its 10° rating a little off I'd think. Overall its one of the better "budget" UQ's I'd say not counting anything made by a cottage manufacturer, and the only one I know of that will get you down to 10°.

Here's the link to my YouTube channel : https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCdlR64khg0auvnVhQ3zRTNQ , you'll find the 3 part review of it that I did last winter after it came. So let me know if you have any questions , ive used mine quite a bit when hanging at home to save my nice 0° Incubator for the trail and when I needed serious insulation below 20°. But if its gonna be wet at all and not single digits, I'd certainty throw this one on with my 2QZQ UQP and sleep toasty warm and dry confidently all night. Good luck! Oh, and mine took around 2 weeks to get to me here in Maryland, USA, again, not bad at all I think! Ive also got a "Subito" brand 3 season budget UQ. They are on eBay for $28, and are very similar to the OneTigris 3season minus the sewn through vertical stitching on the sides. I use it quite a bit when hanging inside at home, no need to get my nice quilts out when I can wear out the cheap Chinese knock off right ?
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 08-28-2017 at 20:50.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Last edited by Chesapeake; 08-28-2017 at 20:46.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    hennessy scout (making new DIY)
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    down quilts
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Did you really give all the personnel info aliexpress wanted to be able to buy from them?
    You do know this companyis based outof China(https://www.alibaba.com/) and will have all your personal info stored on a server.
    Since Google, FB and many other companies know when we eat, sleep, drink, breathe and breed, giving some info to china company is not a big deal, I guess. Many of my friend including me buying from Aliexpress without any problem so far. Personally I never buy important pieces of gear (say hammock, quilts, tarp, etc) from Aliexpress, but here and there I buy something cheap.

My experience is that anything made with fabric is to avoid (I wouldnt buy any quilt from china!) but some hardware like biners, pots etc can be decent.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman100 View Post
    Since Google, FB and many other companies know when we eat, sleep, drink, breathe and breed, giving some info to china company is not a big deal, I guess. Many of my friend including me buying from Aliexpress without any problem so far. Personally I never buy important pieces of gear (say hammock, quilts, tarp, etc) from Aliexpress, but here and there I buy something cheap.

My experience is that anything made with fabric is to avoid (I wouldnt buy any quilt from china!) but some hardware like biners, pots etc can be decent.
    When I tried to sign up to buy from aliexpress they wanted two photo ID's driverlicence etc. They wanted a photo of my bank account statement and a photo of my credit card statement. I would not give those things to the FBI without a subpoena. No way would I give it to another country I don't care how cheap I could get something thru child labor.

Hammock
    hennessy scout (making new DIY)
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    down quilts
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCR
    When I tried to sign up to buy from aliexpress they wanted two photo ID's driverlicence etc. They wanted a photo of my bank account statement and a photo of my credit card statement. I would not give those things to the FBI without a subpoena. No way would I give it to another country I don't care how cheap I could get something thru child labor.
    They have my email address and credit card number, as everyone other does where I buy online. No photos, statements, and so on. Dont worry, FBI have much more of your data without your permission

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    3F UL Gear
    Insulation
    Gemini System
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hmm, perhaps you were accidentally signing up to be a vendor? All they needed from me was an email, password, form of payment and a shipping address. I've bought stuff on AliExpress for years without any trouble. It is actually set up with very good buyer protection.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast