Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape

First Impressions: Netted Hammock

I recently purchased a WBBB 1.1 DL from a HF member as a representation of my first integrated bug net hammock. Up to this point I had never laid in an enclosed system other than a Fronkey bug net. After laying in it for a few hours I have determined it is not for me.

Size was an obvious negative factor for me since I'm used to an 11 ft hammock. For those who have never tried an 11 ft hammock, I implore you to try one. You don't know what you're missing out on as far as comfort is concerned (I'm 5'9 and 175lbs). The second thing is the functionality of it. I was never able to get my UQ adjusted the way I liked it at the foot end because of the bug net. Lastly, I had never experienced calf ridge before but I was able to see how it starts. It wasn't comfortable. I'm sure if I spent more time working with it I could have ironed out some of these issues but that is reason enough for me to stick with my simple gathered end hammocks and a Fronkey style bug net in the summer.

This post was just made to help others who may be on the fence on what route to choose for their hammock purchase. This is not a knock on Warbonnet as their reputation speaks for its self. This is only my .02 cents. Just remember HYOH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I am sorry your Blackbird didn't work out for you on several points.

I love integrated-net hammocks, and I also recently picked up a lightly used Warbonnet Blackbird (XLC) from a fellow member. (I also have a Dutch Chameleon coming, plus an SLD Trail Lair and several DIY hammocks with zippered nets and/or top covers...)

FWIW and in case it helps you at all, one thing I have noticed about the BB/XLC design after spending a couple of nights in mine is that the comfort is awesome if you hang it right -- i.e., following Warbonnet's guidelines -- and pretty much absent if you don't. I'm not sure if it has to do with the way the gathered ends are whipped, with the constraints of the net/top cover, or other factors, but I have noticed that I can guarantee a great night of sleep for myself in the XLC as long as I set the "hangle" to near 25 degrees (about 5 degrees "tighter" than I would with any of my other gathered-end hammocks, the same as my bridge) AND make sure the foot end is at least 6 inches (preferably closer to 12 inches) higher than my head end, naturally promoting my torso to shift toward the lower head end. If I do this, the lay is flat and comfortable, and calf ridge problems go away. If I do not, trouble ensues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWlM0pROnpU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRoO_hx33Cg

One note on the use of integrated-net hammocks I'll make is that while the XLC's design is ingenious, I do prefer some of my other designs where the zippered entry can be moved from one side of the hammock to the other (and in some cases, there are zippers on BOTH sides).

NOT having your top quilt or pillow fall to the ground when you get up with careless alacrity in the middle of the night: PRICELESS.

Hope the next hammock you find fits you perfectly.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-13-2017 at 11:51.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

First Impressions: Netted Hammock

It seems like a better title to the thread would be: First Impressions: 10 ft Hammock.

If you need tips on the UQ hanging properly on the foot end, let us know the issue you encountered. At least on my 3/4 length UQ, as long as the UQ suspension is above my feet, I never have a problem.
    Last edited by TallPaul; 02-13-2017 at 15:26.

Images
    Nor a fan of enclosed hammocks either... A Fronkey if I have to, otherwise it's open to the world for me!

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    It seems like a better title to the thread would be: First Impressions: 10 ft Hammock.

If you need tips on the UQ hanging properly on the foot end, let us know the issue you encountered. At least on my 3/4 length UQ, as long as the UQ suspension is above my feet, I never have a problem.
    That's the main issue for sure. I'm sure it would work out just fine if I spent some time learning to use it properly.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTapeMessiah View Post
    That's the main issue for sure. I'm sure it would work out just fine if I spent some time learning to use it properly.

Btw... I'm right there with you on 11 ft vs 10. Very much prefer 11 ft. Even recommend it for those under 6 ft.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well, I made and used quite a few 10' hammocks myself and found that I need at least 10.5' to be comfortable. But I LOVE my WBBB! Although it is actually shorter than 10'. kitsapcowboy is right, though: Warbonnet hammocks have to be hung right to be comfortable. But when you get it right, they can be more comfortable than any other hammock. I made lots of 10', 10.5', 11', 11.5' and even 12' hammocks, and I thought that my best ones were as comfortable as possible. Until I got a WB Traveler XL (on paper an 11' hammock, in reality closer to 10.5'). It's not even a contest. I'm going to copy the dimensions for my next DIY hammocks and see if I can replicate the comfort.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My opinion is - it just takes one persistent bug to make for a bad night. So I always have a net option - either built-in or separate (goes completely around the hammock - sides, top, bottom). I'm fortunate not to live in "bug country" but if I were in mosquito town, I'd prefer the separate surrounding hammock because I can get in/out of the hammock - for example, to get dressed - without being outside the netting.

There is an issue about not letting the netting get close to your skin, but that's what experience is for. I seldom use a pillow (and if I do, it is usually under my knee/s), but if I knew I'd need the bug net, I might bring an inflatable pillow and use it to keep the netting away from my face.

Longer hammocks are ideal, but shorter hammocks allow more tree situations. I mentioned in one post that if one had the whole forest to choose from, you could find those perfect diameter, perfectly space trees. But if you are using (and required to use) pre-made camping spots (i.e. campgrounds), the choice of trees can be more limited.

I'd love to use my longer hammocks, or bridge hammock (WBRR) - which needs even wider spaced trees. But if I'm going into the "unknown", I take the shortest hammock I can tolerate - which is still WAY more comfortable than a ground solution.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    I believe I made that post without doing a fair assessment. I do still prefer my 11fter but I believe I will find a place for my WBBB.

• + New Posts