Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Favorite Tarp Backpacking Storage Method

So I have a Kelty Noah's 12' tarp and while I love the tarp I hate, hate hate the bag they include for it. Not only is it a weird shape it just seems like it doesn't really compress the tarp much for backpacking storage and it's awkward to stuff because it's more like a front loading zippered stuff sack. Wondering what people's favorite way to store their tarps on backpacking trips, Snake skins, stuff sacks, double ended stuff sacks or as I was thinking today, mesh stuff sacks?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I got mesh skins from Mountain Goat Hats for my Kelty Noah 12, and they work great. After I skin the tarp I still put it in the Kelty bag, but I am going to make a double ended stuff sack for it at some point. I love the tarp skins, they make deploying and securing the tarp so much easier. Even putting them in that goofy Kelty bag is easy after they're skinned.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    +1 on the skins. I've found that I'd rather pack the tarp loosely anyway. Fits into the nooks and crannies in my pack better. Mine are SilNylon, mostly to keep a wet tarp from wetting other stuff in my pack.. but those Mesh skins are really cool too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Mesh tarp sleeves from Mountain Goat
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Backpacking at Noah's 12....ouch. I bring it on lots of car or kayak trips but the 12' is kind of heavy to go in my pack.

That will be tough to squash all the polyester down into a manageable size. This may be one time that folding/rolling might get the package smaller. I was really surprised how well it fit in the bag the first time around. Since, I've had to get creative to get it squashed back into the provided sack. I normally fold it along the ridgeline then it kind of turns into some bad attempt to fold a bed sheet until I get it to the size of the sack.

Does your pack have an external pocket the tarp will fit into? Maybe just skip the bag totally except for home storage?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Backpacking at Noah's 12....ouch. I bring it on lots of car or kayak trips but the 12' is kind of heavy to go in my pack.
    + 1. But hey HYOH. If you are man enough to pack this tarp then cram that thing in an outside storage. These tarps do not work with snake skins very well due to their inability to compress down. Check out MassDrop and pick up one of the UGQ tarps at a really good price and you will avoid this issue all together.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I got mesh skins from Mountain Goat Hats for my Kelty Noah 12, and they work great. After I skin the tarp I still put it in the Kelty bag, but I am going to make a double ended stuff sack for it at some point. I love the tarp skins, they make deploying and securing the tarp so much easier. Even putting them in that goofy Kelty bag is easy after they're skinned.
    I've been interested in the tarp skins. I might pick up Dutch's kit and make some.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post

That will be tough to squash all the polyester down into a manageable size. This may be one time that folding/rolling might get the package smaller. I was really surprised how well it fit in the bag the first time around. Since, I've had to get creative to get it squashed back into the provided sack. I normally fold it along the ridgeline then it kind of turns into some bad attempt to fold a bed sheet until I get it to the size of the sack.

Does your pack have an external pocket the tarp will fit into? Maybe just skip the bag totally except for home storage?
    It really is a beast and probably the heaviest item in my pack. I've upgraded to HG quilts and a Dream Darien. I have a sil nylon asym tarp that I use when I'm pretty sure weather will be nice that I've been considering doubling the width to use instead of the Noah but haven't done so yet. The Noah is just such a reliable and huge tank that I never have to worrry about as long as I don't die shlepping it in.

Hammock
    Hammock Envy S
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG INCU. 0*
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Another vote for Mountain Goat snake skins. I use them for both my superfly and Winter Haven

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Seriously guys, sure the Noah's 12 is heavier than comparably sized tarps from our cottage vendors, but it's not THAT heavy. Y'all talk like it's carrying a ton of lead or something... sheesh. If I can carry the thing 30 miles on the AT it just ain't that heavy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast