Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Over the weekend I slept out with my tarp pitched low with my Ridgerunner and two of my (side against the wind) Ridgerunner poles were in constant contact with the tarp. I ended up tying a sock over each pole end for extra insurance. I have the AHE Bar bumpers but wanted the extra insurance with the high winds I was encountering.
    Haha that's weird cause I did the same thing but with two gloves. I tied them around the head end poles...the foot end wasn't close enough to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    One of the "cons" that seems common when discussing the Ridgerunner is the possibility of putting a hole in your tarp with the spreader bars if they rub. Has anyone (or know anyone who has) actually punctured their tarp with their spreader bars? Or is this a concern that is overblown?
    Yes, I ripped a hole in my HG Cuben fiber tarp. After repairing my Tarp, I now use a different tarp. I also borrowed an idea from another forum member, which is to take a bicycle tire tube, cut it about two inches in length. Next drill a hole in one side, which will be for the spreader bar, and slip the tube over the flat spreader bar pieces attached to the hammock. By doing this, the ends of the spreader bar is covered by the bicycle tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    StoryTellerTN

Life is always better when your "hanging" out with friends.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware

Spreader bar damage

Sorry about the screen shots.

StoryTellerTN

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Storytellertn View Post
    Yes, I ripped a hole in my HG Cuben fiber tarp. After repairing my Tarp, I now use a different tarp. I also borrowed an idea from another forum member, which is to take a bicycle tire tube, cut it about two inches in length. Next drill a hole in one side, which will be for the spreader bar, and slip the tube over the flat spreader bar pieces attached to the hammock. By doing this, the ends of the spreader bar is covered by the bicycle tube.
    I tried the inner tube and it was so rubbery that they really rubbed my tarp hard. Almost sticking to it. I'm wonder if it was because the tube was new. Once I found the AHE bumpers I found that they are a lot "slicker" and don't tend to grab the tarp as much.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Bummer about the tarp. Your post made me wonder if certain materials are more or less susceptible to damage. Is cuben fiber more fragile than silnylon or silpoly?

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    It's usually the head end that rubs. I don't have this issue with my SuperFly but it's an issue with my CF Zpacks tarp. I use the CF tarp on multiple day trips only. With the CF, if I have to pitch low or it's very windy I wrap my day socks around the head pole tips and secure with a rubber band.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware

Spreader bar damage

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I tried the inner tube and it was so rubbery that they really rubbed my tarp hard. Almost sticking to it. I'm wonder if it was because the tube was new. Once I found the AHE bumpers I found that they are a lot "slicker" and don't tend to grab the tarp as much.
    One could place a piece of duct tape around the tubes, which would make a slicker surface and add durability.

Last edited by Storytellertn; 01-09-2017 at 15:46.
    StoryTellerTN

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    In the "counting grams" video Grizz made (I believe that's the one, if not more than one)

He put a piece of pack cloth there to protect things. I believe it's more of an issue with a recessed bar bridge and/or when modifying an UQ to slip up there.

I have seen some rubbing and marking on my recessed bar bridges on the SUL fabric but no tears or serious issues that have encouraged me to look into it further.

As noted- if the guy who makes and sells the bridge isn't getting any complaints...

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    DIY tarp protectors. I made these for double hung GE's with a spreader bar - so far all is good. I've only used this setup under CF once, but it was very wet/windy night. I also made a set for my RR. As I bought the RR primarily for indoor use, I haven't had it under a tarp yet.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Shug mentioned he put a hole in his cuben fiber tarp with a RR spreader bar. Sample size is still small (only three), but maybe RR users who use CF tarps need to be extra careful!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast