Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I used the following configuration this last weekend. I have been using a very lightly inflated Downmat 7 UL LW in my 90 degree hammock and it is one of my top choices of the myriad combinations I have experimented with. My thoughts were that I could mimic a down UQ by simply lightly inflating the pad. I am also a big fan of letting the 90 degree hammock partially collapse versus having a rigid hammock/pad. This weekend I used my Arrowhead Ridgecreek in combination with the lightly inflated Downmat and slept great at d25*F. My thoughts on this system is that I have the 3/4 AHD RR or the lightly inflated DM 7 for the summer and shoulder seasons with a minimum or pack volume consumed. When it gets colder I can supplement the 3/4 UQ with the pad. For me this is an inexpensive and flexible combination.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreamer View Post
    Had my first experience in the RR with my BA 20* wide pad. In south GA it was in the upper 20s so it was a real test for my setup. First I will say I really like the RR. It's exactly what it is billed to be - a nice flat lay and very stable. Regarding insulation, I was adequately warm but not really snug. I think down to the 35-40* mark may be more realistic. The pad did have me more elevated in the hammock but that really didn't bother me. The strange part is that when I removed the pad and layed in the hammock I actually thought it was less comfortable - completely opposite of my WBBB. The pad gave it an almost mattress like feel - very comfortable. I'm a side sleeper and that position was very good as well in the RR. I was prepared to by an UQ but based on my one night test, I think I will sleep a few more nights with the pad. Thanks for all the input above.
    JC
    I've had fairly extensive experience with pads in a RR. I had a Exped (from the tent days) Synmat 27" wide (4.9 R-Value) and wow what comfort! It will keep me warm down to 30 ish. But at 2 lbs...yuk.
    I then bought a mild season 40* Phoenix 3/4 length that i put on the bottom in addition to the mat (because the mat is soooo comfortable) that together gets me down to the teens. Then i added a down throw above the phoenix that let me be warm at single digits (recent video part#2)
    Now i just received a new Zeppelin 20* with 2 OZ overfill and have no clue what that will get me too yet. But i will probably ditch the pad for weight concerns and so the quilt combinations will be all i have worry about.
    You may try a thin closed cell foam pad under the mat...should get you down 10* -20* lower i would think.

The main thing is have fun learning! Hammocks are quite the trip!
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    So far, I prefer a pad in my Ridgerunner. I use the shorter version of the head pole (hammock fabric seems looser/more comfy) and a 25" wide, 20 degree neoair, 3/4 inflated. I supplement with a synthetic underquilt if I expect below 40, although I bet the pad would work until at least freezing, short a strong wind. It seemed the synthetic quilt would be a better windblock and maybe even a better insulator when used under the pad vs. down. I can't imagine dropping $200-250 on a quilt and not being able to feel the down under the pad.
    Last edited by happydensity; 01-25-2017 at 20:59.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Sad to report that the Nemo Tensor is not suitable for three seasons RR uses. I had it in mid to low 40's with no wind and it did not work. This is a large model 78 x 25 inch . Coverage was ok, but felt the equivalent of the CBS, which in bridge seems to be more the upper back. The tensor supposedly has a small amount of primloft, but evidently not enough. I've never slept on this pad on the ground, so maybe it's just this particular one, but i suspect this pad is just not built for hammocking.

Which is a shame cause it feels great. But it looks like i'll need to get a UQ. My phoenix 40 will work for the spring like weather, so I have about 9 months to buy a 20 degree lynx or ambush.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    It has also become apparent to me that 40-45F is about the low end of My Thermarest Trekker. Considering a UL Synmat 7 for the reported better hammock insulative properties, but would love to find a wider UL air pad. Interesting the Nemo pad didn't do better, as the Primaloft is the Synmat's insulation as well. Either way, I'll continue to supplement with my 1S RidgeCreek UQ, which is very light, and use the 3S Jarbidge (or get a 3S RidgeCreek) for colder temps. I still can't justify using down UQs with a pad for the RidgeRunner, especially when the Climashield bridge quilts are so light, better wind blocks and much cheaper.
    Last edited by happydensity; 03-01-2017 at 22:20.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by happydensity View Post
    It has also become apparent to me that 40-45F is about the low end of My Thermarest Trekker. Considering a UL Synmat 7 for the reported better hammock insulative properties, but would love to find a wider UL air pad. Interesting the Nemo pad didn't do better, as the Primaloft is the Synmat's insulation as well. Either way, I'll continue to supplement with my 1S RidgeCreek UQ, which is very light, and use the 3S Jarbidge (or get a 3S RidgeCreek) for colder temps. I still can't justify using down UQs with a pad for the RidgeRunner, especially when the Climashield bridge quilts are so light, better wind blocks and much cheaper.
    Unless you are planning on using the Synmat 7 UL for summer use, I definitely would suggest the Downmat 7 UL MW instead. I have used both and unless it is warm or you plan on supplementing the Synmat, I think you will be CBS'n. To reiterate what I wrote above. I have used the Downmat 7 UL MW in my hammocktent 90*, WBRR, and DH Raven this winter (I've spent more nights in hammocks than a bed) I personally find the DM 7 UL MW to work fine down to around 30*F. If lower than that I supplement with my AHD Ridgecreek.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    Thanks OTG. I'm mostly working with N FL temps (rarely below freezing these days with global warming) but I do agree the Neoair is compromised below 45. It's a bummer the Synmat 7 doesn't do better, but it doesn't sound like it's worth switching unless to the Downmat (pricey/not too light) as I've quilts already to supplement. The other option that is warm and amply wide is the Klymit VLuxe, but it's just plain heavy. I'd love a 1.5-2" thick, 30" wide, warm, lightweight pad. Approaching 3" thick is silly in a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Does anyone have experience with the Neoair All-Season in a ridgerunner? It has a higher R value(4.9) than the Trekker at the same thickness (2.5").

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Neoair All-Season in a ridgerunner? It has a higher R value(4.9) than the Trekker at the same thickness (2.5").

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I'm curious about this as well. One criticism flying around about the neo air pads is that they aren't technically insulated (more heat capturing/reflecting?) and, as such, less effective in hammocks. Also, I keep hearing about wide Exped pads being 27", but I'm reading that they're only 25.6" wide.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12